Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Gay teen, catholic school

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gay teen, catholic school
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one for Slayer_gurl.

A Canadian gay teen is currently taking his school board to court because the Catholic high school that he attends refuses to allow him to attend the prom with his boyfriend.

Basically, across much or all of Canada, there are public school boards and there are Catholic school boards. In Ontario, where this case is going on, the Catholic schools get roughly as much public money as do the public schools (dumb rule, I know). Now, this is happening in the Catholic school system, and despite that, this guy seems to have the support of his parents, his classmates and the general public.

Some people are arguing that this is a case of freedom of religion, versus freedom of ummm, sexuality. I don't know about that. I think it's a pretty clear-cut case, where public funds are currently going to an institution that discriminates along the lines of sexual orientation. This has to stop. Anyone out there with thoughts about this?

Let's say that this was happening at a private school, would you feel any differently? I know I sure would.

------------------
She's a smooth operator/It's all so calculated/She's got a calculator/She's my soft touch typewriter
-Elvis Costello

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is one of those cases where really, it should have been nobody's business. Would this school have objected if a couple of heterosexual people of the same gender had decided to attend the prom together because they couldn't find dates or whatever? I doubt it. That sort of thing happens all the time. I feel that if Mr. Hall wanted to invite a male guest to his prom that should have been fine, and the act nature of their relationship isn't the business of the school authorities or anyone else.
Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Dzuunmod, to learn how Canada developed it's ideosyncratic constitutional system, you may wish to read 1867: How the Fathers Made a Deal by Christopher Moore which is how we got state sponsored Catholic schools in Ontario and Protestant schools in Québec. I find this all amusing seeing as the Catholic Church is possibly the largest single employer of gay men in Ontario.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 04-13-2002).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzuunmod:
Here's one for Slayer_gurl.

Thanx Dzummond, I can't tell you the shock I got when I opened the thread and saw that written. In Ireland all school, including religious schools are funded by the state as the vast majority are Catholic schools anyway. The Irish Catholic Church is also a huge employer of homosexuals, whether they care to believe it or not. I've been considering that when I have my debs(kinda like your prom, except the school isn't so involved and there's no supervision or anything) that I bring a girl. I'd like to see them stop me. The Catholic teaching is one of tolerance and love, but as I've said before, what kind of tolerance and love is being shown when kids like myself and others are being left vulnerable to verbal and (I'm expecting in the near future) physical attacks from other students. I mean, if the boy wants to bring his boyfriend to his prom, then what difference does it make? As Lady Moonlight said before, if it had been a group of het students wanted t bring a group of friends, then the school wouldn't ahve batted an eyelid. Sanctimonious crap is the title I attach to this whole policy.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i heard about this on the radio. My family and i were discussing it, and it seems like many people use religion to justify their homophobia.
i understand that in earlier times (when the bible was created) heterosexual pairing were needed to generate life, but a lot has changed since then and you have to take things from the bible with a grain of salt.

i think one plus side to this whole controversary is that it brings to light some of the problems homosexuals face.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe stuff like this.

If it was a private school, i would still think it was horrible but i would feel somewhat differently, however, i still feel it's wrong.

I do understand what bobolink was saying (almost wrote booblink, heh) about the BNA act, which basically says that protestant and catholic schools are protected under the law, therefore, what they're isn't actually illegal or anythign like that because they're following their beliefs. I also understand what killer was saying with taking it was a grain of salt(bible thing i mean) but unfortuantly, the fact that those schools are protected is in the Canada Act, which basically means they're just following the constitution. (exscuses ecscuses)

I think this is wrong any way you look at it,however, i'm not catholic or protestant, and i do'nt really have a say. I hope that boy finds a way to get to the prom with his boyfriend.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sun Wu
Activist
Member # 7018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sun Wu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... All I can say is what else can you expect from the Catholic Church? Is everyone here forgetting that, trying to pretend it's not true or something? Their doctrine is anti-homosexuality, and trying to force them to accept pro-homosexuality sentiments is as effective as trying to make a carnivore eat plants. I agree with Lady Moonlight that this should have been nobody's business.
Posts: 117 | From: Where does my name remind you of? well it's wrong! | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may or may not be effective.

Many religious traditions have evolved over time, changing their doctrines and stances to reflect changing times, new information and knowledge, better understandings.

I'd agree that the Catholic church seems more resistant to that than some other traditions, but I wouldn't say it's impossible, and it is generally an important part of religion to adapt as the world grows and changes.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as an ontario resident, I feel that I have to say something about this.

I have no objections to what most of you are saying. Yes, its stupid that a religious school gets public funds, yes, they should not discriminate on the basis of sexuality.
BUT!
This boy did not just decide to bring his boyfriend to the prom. He went to the admin and anounced that he planned to do so with a kind of "why dont you try and stop me" attitude. In my opinion, he was looking for a fight. If he had just brought his bf to the prom, I doubt that he would have been turned away at the door.
The toronto star ran a rather interesting article on the matter which can be found
[url=http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1017183694008&call_page=TS_News_Columnists&call_pageid=970599109774&call_pag epath=Columnists]here[/url]
So frankly, I have nothing against same-sex dates for prom but he really didn't need to make such a huge deal about it.

Posts: 83 | From: toronto | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotbuttered101
Activist
Member # 5538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotbuttered101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is slightly off topic, but because this thread has been dedicated to the lovely Slayer_gurl, I thought I would be able to tell her about a site I came across that reminded me of her.

It's for GLB youth in Northern Ireland.
http://www.glyni.org.uk/home.html

I hope you see this

Posts: 86 | From: South Africa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Turns sideways to allow massive head to enter thread*

Thanx, Hotbuttered.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
The gay teen has succeeded in having the Dufferin Roman Catholic School Board enjoined from forbidding him from bringing a male date or cancelling the prom. As the judge points out, the School Board had violated at least three laws in their decision. http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/05/10/hall_020510

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 05-10-2002).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, someone beat me to it. I was really happy to hear that. No one should be restricted from bring their date, no matter the sex or orientation, to their prom.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.