Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Very Tiny Victory for Choice in Ireland

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Very Tiny Victory for Choice in Ireland
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Irish voters choose not to deny suicidal women access to abortions

Well, it's hardly a victory, more of a preservation of the exteremly basic rights of Irish women when it comes to abortion. At least they held a referendum rather than just pushing the stricter laws through. Still, it's worrying that the country next door to me (and the country some Scarleteeners live in) could even have been considering these proposals, and that they were only narrowly defeated.

------------------
What is this life, so full of care, we have no time to stop and stare...

Read my diary-what fun you'll have

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a 'tiny' victory indeed. Women still don't have the right to abortions (unless they're "suicidal" or their life is threatened) and, according to the article, 7000 Irish women travel to the UK each year for abortions. And yes, like the pro-abortion campaigners in Ireland, I do think it's hypocritical - abortion sounds to be in place in all but law.

------------------
"Here's how they rated him when they looked back: / sometimes he did this, sometimes he did that."
-Poem, Simon Armitage

Luv, Dahlia

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its absolutely pathetic, and I should know. I live in Ireland. Our "referendum" on abortion was a joke. Not only was the legislation that was being pushed through absolutely from the dark ages, the Irish people were handed out copies of the bill
TWO days before the referendum which meant a turnout of 40% of voters! No one knew what they were voting for, the pro lifers hadn't a clue what was going on because two different pro life groups were campaigning fopr conflicting votes. I, as a staunch pro choicer, had to endure two classes of S.P.H.E every week in which I and my best friend were the only two people informed about it(including the teacher) and had the pro-lifers(and the people who just went with the crowd) screeaming at us with their uninformed opinions. What a bloody joke our government and country is!

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it helps, I endure exactly the same thing every day. It's almost funny listening to people rabbit on about how God didn't mean for things to happen "like that", and then have everyone scream "murderer" at you for the remainder of the week. Notice I said almost. Sometimes, I would just love to chuck those people into a roomful of pro-choicers and see how quickly it would take for their opinions to sway.

PS. I love Ireland. I've only been there twice, but I loved it both times.

------------------
"Here's how they rated him when they looked back: / sometimes he did this, sometimes he did that."
-Poem, Simon Armitage

Luv, Dahlia

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.