Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Uganda has no gays

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Uganda has no gays
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a laugh. The President of the African nation of Uganda says that his country has no homosexuals.

Maybe it's because they've been rounding gays up for years.

A recent poll of Kampala's (the Ugandan capital) residents showed that 84 per cent of them didn't want homosexuality legalised.

------------------
I want to break my legs just so I won't forget to be nice to you.
-Moneen

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not going to go and call these people ignorant because I don't think many of these people have had the benefit of an education.

The Government's declaration that Uganda has no homosexuals is absurd, and it frankly disappoints me that many Governments (including that of my own, Singapore, Brunei and I think Indonesia) do not recognize homosexuality. I believe firmly it is a choice of the individual, and I don't see how it can harm anybody else.

I suppose the Government of Uganda will continue to deny this "problem" - though I'm very sure, it won't go away.

I suppose you could only truly eradicate homophobic attitudes through education. People aren't born with it - they develop it, and it is this we should try to prevent.

------------------
"Here's how they rated him when they looked back: / sometimes he did this, sometimes he did that."
-Poem, Simon Armitage

Luv, Dahlia

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually it is perfectly fine to call these people ignorant, exactly because they haven't had the benefit of real education on this subject since ignorance literally means "not knowing" anyway. However, though you may call me rather callous, I consider this not to be too surprising. There are so many terrible governments in several countries in Africa (Mr Mugabe in Zimbabwe for example) that really this is hardly an issue to attach much importance to, unless you consider sexual freedom to be more important than more general political and social freedom.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kite
Activist
Member # 5957

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Kite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Confused Boy, all kinds of freedom are linked. Do you think it is funny/pleasant/acceptable to live in a country when the mere mention of who you're attracted to puts your life in danger? Do you think it is nice to keep your mouth shut about some of the most important things in your life because otherwise your life will be in danger?

Recently, in Egypt, the police stormed a club, threw all the women and foreigners out, and kept all the others on charges of homosexuality. Why? Because the club had a reputation as being a gay nightspot. Was anyone doing anything "illicit" inside? No.

The police published the pictures of all the men in the major papers, even of the ones that were released without sentence later. The life of everyone who was in that club that night is ruined. They will not be able to find jobs, they will not be able to walk safely in the street, and I'm not even talking of the stuff that must be happening to some of them in jail.

This routine ruining of life is possible because there is no freedom in the country. The police can just go in where they please, reinterpret laws as they please, beat up people in jail as they please, and ruin people's lives by publishing their pictures as they please. If the people of Egypt are to gain more freedom, the only way to do it is to stop distinguishing between different kinds of freedom. They are all linked and equally important.

Posts: 127 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BWHPA
Neophyte
Member # 7392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BWHPA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you meen "Develop Homosexuality"? You are born with it i've met gay 7 year olds That didn't even know they are gay. MOST people are born with it some people develope it. You cant prevent homesexuality. You just gotta grin and bare it. 38% of the US is gay so If you got 3 kids then....one of them could be gay.

------------------
~*Who Dares Wins*~ SAF

Posts: 10 | From: byfield mass USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm... how did you know that the seven year old was gay even if they didn't know it? I'd say the same applies for heterosexuality too, btw, that if a kid doesn't know that they are heterosexual, you can't assume that they are. I'm not denying that sexual orientation can express itself at an early age, I'm just wary of saying you know something about someone else's sexual orientation that they don't know themselves.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd also be weary of saying that 38% of the US is gay. I've never seen any study putting the number that high.

------------------
I want to break my legs just so I won't forget to be nice to you.
-Moneen

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BWHPA:
What do you meen "Develop Homosexuality"?

Just to clarify here: $uMMeR didn't say people develop homosexuality; she said people develop homophobic attitudes.

I'm also wondering how you can determine the sexual orientation of a seven-year-old, but okay.

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzuunmod:
I'd also be weary of saying that 38% of the US is gay. I've never seen any study putting the number that high.

Indeed. I did some research last November, and the highest estimate I could find was about 10%; there were several opinions that Kinsey's estimate was high because [they said] he was more interested in the "deviant", and sought them out for their more colorful sexual histories.

It also seems that if the question is phrased properly (counting only people that have had exclusively homosexual relationships within the past year as gay), it can be made as low as 1%. Statistics are evil.

------------------
Sapphire Cat
Looks won't tell who's living inside.
Artist, poet, programmer, dreamer, and crossdressing bondage kitty

[This message has been edited by sapphirecat (edited 03-24-2002).]

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I was born gay. I remember haveing "funny" feelings for women since I was an ickle kid.
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sangre_red
Neophyte
Member # 7535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sangre_red     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think its absolutely hilarious!
does the president even know what "homosexual" means?

as an aside to a couple of you when you're referring to "those people" being ignorant- remember it's not the ppl of the nation denying the existence of homosexuals but their (perhaps crrupt) government.

we have to remember uganda is very different from canada & the usa & freedom of speech is not encouraged- that vote on whether homosexuality should be legalized is most likely very skewed.

------------------
masturbation: (n.) sex with someone i love.

Posts: 18 | From: canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BWHPA
Neophyte
Member # 7392

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BWHPA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh. I worded IT wrong. Put it this way a test was taken over the internet on a site. ( i admit this is unreliable but it's not far from the truth ) well anyways 38% of the test takers were gay. But I do believe *some* people are born gay. I am developing a theory Called Reed's theory of Gayness. I have noticed that alot of my family is gay. Peticular on my mothers side. So i'm starting to think Mabey it's genetical. But who knows. And Homo means same and sexual means well sexualso same sexual so it pretty much meens you swing the other way ;-p

------------------
~*Who Dares Wins*~ SAF

Posts: 10 | From: byfield mass USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember on a post here once, somebody suggested that homosexuality might be genetical. And someone very cleverly answered that if that was the case, then how come scientists hadn't found a "straight" gene (it went like something along those lines).

You're touching a sensitive subject - there's been lots of debates about the origins of homosexuality in the past.

------------------
"Here's how they rated him when they looked back: / sometimes he did this, sometimes he did that."
-Poem, Simon Armitage

Luv, Dahlia

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anyone's born gay or straight. Sure, the potential might be there, but adult sexuality isn't. Sexuality, regardless of orientation, is something that develops, and continues to do so for our entire lives. And some people might like boys, and others might like girls, and yet others might like both, or no one, or not really care; none of that's too important; what matters is that you're comfortable and happy with your sexuality.
/opinionated tangent

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.