Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Can you get condoms at your school?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you get condoms at your school?
Talula
Neophyte
Member # 7025

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Talula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all... :-) I'm doing a researsh/argumentative paper for my AP English class, and I've decided to make the subject of my paper the validity of making condoms available to high school (or maybe even middle school) students. This is something that I'm really interested in, and would like to change in my own school (Condoms?! gasp!), so I need your help. If anyone who reads this could please respond to the following items, it would help me a lot.

1) Are condoms avaiable in vending machines or in the nurse's office at your school? (Specify which)
2) If so, how long have they been available there?
3) If not, have they ever been available, or has anyone tried to start a program where condoms would be made available?
4) The state in which you live (if you don't mind sharing that info), and whether or not you attend a public or a private high school.

If everyone could please just help me out, it would be greatly appreciated! As well as satisfying some person curiosity, this survey will also count as a primary source for my paper.

Thanks in advance-
Karen

P.S.
Anyone reading this who no longer attends high school is welcome to answer as well. Do you know about the practices of any schools in your area? What about when you were in high school?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. No. In fact our health teacher is forbidden to demonstrate the correct technique to use when putting a condom on nor can he have us try it on fruit or whatever during class.

2. N/A

3. To the best of my knowledge it's always been this way. Currently I'm trying to make some changes to the way our sex ed program is conducted via my independent study (Ack! I haven't told you guys about that yet. Details will come later.) but passing out condoms is (unfortunately) a long way from the top of my "to do" list.

4. I attend a public high school in Michigan.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indigodazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Yes. The school has a clinic which supplies birth control.
2. I'm really not sure how long it's been that way. Quite a while I believe.
3. N/A, although I'm sure that it has been challenged.
4. Public, in Minnesota

Posts: 57 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Nope.
2. N/A
3. Never been avaliable, nobody has ever tried, and nobody ever will. It's a very fundamental religious school that believes in complete abstinance only, and basically no discussion of sex at all. I doubt the word condom has ever been spoken within the walls of that school.
4. Indiana, private religious school (I'm not in hs anymore, but I haven't been out for long at all)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey
Activist
Member # 5304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeffrey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) nope
3) nope, nope
4) SF, California, Private

Posts: 107 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1)Nopers.
2)N/A
3)no, but i'm not opposed to the idea
4)i live in the state of manitoba, hehe, jj. Manitoba's not a state, it's a province! Public High School

------------------
"No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her'-Jeff Murdock

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope to the first three. Wisconsin, public.
Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. condoms were not available when i attended, and they still are not available
2. see 1
3. nope still4. i graduated from high school in 1998 from a public school in rural california

------------------
straddle the fine line between profundity and profanity...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way! Puh-lease, the teachers' attitude here seems to be "abstain"...even newspaper articles meant for "today's teens" advocate that, and although more and more people are slowly calling for sex education, the only place it is readily available (without any qualms, I might add) are one or two private schools and some colleges (very, very rare)!

------------------
"Here's how they rated him when they looked back: / sometimes he did this, sometimes he did that."
-Poem, Simon Armitage

Luv, Dahlia

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) No way
2) n/a
3) it would be a great idea, but no
4) public catholic high school in ottawa, ontario

We don't get sex-ed, other than sex spoils our bodies before god.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Not when I was there.
2) N/A
3) They hadn't been available before to the best of my knowledge. There was some talk of making them available. I'm pretty sure it was only talk, though. Once some students tried to start a program, but there was too much negative feedback (mostly from parents) and the idea was scrapped.
4) Public high school in Nova Scotia (Canada).

[This message has been edited by Tel'kella (edited 02-26-2002).]

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ookuotoe and I attend the same high school, so consider my answers to be the same as her's.

After reading through this thread, I have to say, I'm a little disgusted. It's frightening that no one thus far has answered yes to these questions -- and yet, schools like mine complain that the teen pregnancy rate is growing (locally, at least) at an alarming rate (a growth of at least 200 percent, I believe... I'm not sure on the actual statistics). Why don't they pass out logic sticks to all the sensible thinking people so we can wack some sense into school officials -- to at the very least offer free condoms, or even ones at a quarter a pop or so, as an alternative. Obviously, the current running standard just isn't working.

------------------
Tim

"Conversation, like certain other portions of anatomy, works best when lubricated." -- the Marquis de Sade (Quills)

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dude_who_writes:
and yet, schools like mine complain that the teen pregnancy rate is growing (locally, at least) at an alarming rate ....Obviously, the current running standard just isn't working.

Very true, but it's important to remember that in many cases it isn't the schools themselves who are unwilling to take steps like making condoms available. It is the parents who surround the school that make enacting such plans difficult.

No administrator in his or her right mind would implement a plan which would cost him or her their job, yet this would more than likely be the case if a plan to distribute condoms was enacted. Parents form grass-roots committees whenever things do not go their way, and a plan as "radical" as making condoms available would not fly in many places. Add to that the fact that the vast majority of high schoolers are not at the age of consent, and there are some serious liability issues there for the schools to consider.

So while I wholeheartedly agree that something needs to be done, I think that it's important not to throw blame too heavily on the most obvious suspects. As time goes by and attitudes change, here's to hoping that a more sensible standard will be set.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indigodazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I sure am invisible. I did answer yes. My school does offer condoms.
Posts: 57 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something heartening for you, Dude: Someone in my family who used to be a high school teacher (but not at any school that I went to) kept a basket of condoms on his filing cabinet in class. He said that while he never actually saw any students taking them, they always did disappear. Just for the survey's purposes, this is at a high school in Ontario, Canada.

------------------
My God can beat up your God.
-Weights and Measures

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Yup, my school has condoms available, both in the nurses office, and in the student center. I am actually in charge of keeping the student center well stocked, as I volunteered to do so. Soon the school will be taking over on this.

2. As long as I've been there condoms have been in the nurses office, but you have to ask for them as they are in a locked closet. They were added to the student center too at my suggestion two years ago.

3. n/a

4. Private Quaker school, New York City

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
High school:
1. Nope. Not that I knew of, anyway.
2. n/a
3. I don't know. The general parental attitude is that handing out condoms will mean it's OK to have sex, which goes against their beliefs.
4. Public high school in Western New York State. Often referred to as "The middle of Hicksville", even though Hicksville is somewhere else.

College:
1. Yup.
2. I don't know; I think they're fairly new, because everyone keeps asking "Don't you love how the condoms have the SA [student association] logo on them?" (Well, okay, not everyone. But I always hear it at the LGBTA meetings.)
3. n/a
4. SUNY at Buffalo

------------------
Sapphire Cat
The world needs me, to know not everyone is the same.
Artist, poet, programmer, dreamer, and crossdressing bondage kitty

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I can't recall if they were officially available or not. I certainly don't remember ever being told that we could go and get condoms from a certain place. However, we had some student support workers in residence at the school, and they had a plethora of excellent safe sex information- and I'd be willing to bet that anyone who went to them in search of help finding condoms would have found some.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

My school even has signs posted everywhere telling people that condoms are available at the clinic. However, MN has a very high pregnancy rate.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.