Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Does Sex Education Work? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Does Sex Education Work?
Mongo317
Neophyte
Member # 6611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mongo317     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone. I am doing a project for one of my finals and just wanted to know if what you all thought of this question. Does Sex Education Work? Let me know what you think thanks. If you dont mind can u tell me what grade your in so I can get an idea of peeps ages. Thanks
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

Grade 11

I think this question depends on a lot of things. Where you live, who's teaching you, etc, etc, etc.

Lots of people find that they're getting different education from different places.

I personally found sexual education to be somewhat helpful. Our teacher was pretty good with it. He brought in contraceptives, and videos and everything. But, they only focused on penis-vagina sex. I think this leads people to believe that as long as you're having oral or manual sex, you're safe. If i could choose only one improvment in this course, it would be talk about all kinds of sex and all kinds sexual orientation.

------------------
"If you had soup like I had soup you'd never leave the house either!"
-Hawksley Workman

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Pssssst...places like Scareteen and Teenwire count as sex education, too! In-school sex ed is but one type -- this is another, or education from your family, from your community center or clinic...etc.)
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehe, good point. I just assumed they were refering to in school education. So, let's move on to sex education at scarleteen.

I have learned everything i could ever need to know about safe sex, and sex here. Truly, this is a great site for those who are under educated in these area's. In other forums i've seen so many questions which i find utterly ridiculous now.(can "pre-cum" get you pregnant, breast size, condoms, etc)
I'm really glad places like this exist.

So i guess it really depends on where you're sexual education is coming from.

------------------
"If you had soup like I had soup you'd never leave the house either!"
-Hawksley Workman

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the boards, Mongo!

I'm a Senior, right now (133 days until I graduate !)

I definatly agree with Celtic:

quote:
I think this question depends on a lot of things. Where you live, who's teaching you, etc, etc, etc.

Personally, I think that the in-school version of sexual-education is very limited, and needs change. Mind you, of course, that this is just from my personal experience, but from what I have read, the type of sexual education I've been exposed to is the normal:

- Vaginal Intercourse only.
- Hetrosexual sex is all that's covered.
- Condoms and birth crontrol exist, but you generally can't see them.
- Wait until marriage. (I'm not suggusting that there's something wrong with abstience, quite to the contrary in fact, I'm just suggusting that most schools push this far more than any other form of sexual practice, and there is something wrong with that.)

Forms of sexual education like Scarleteen and Teenwire are fantastic, but only a limited percentage of people are exposded, whereas a much larger portion of the population are exposed to public school sexual education. That's why a change to the programs (how about national standards?) need to be made so that an understanding of the full sexuality is offered to all.

Those are my thoughts, anyway. (Where's ookuotoe on this topic? )

------------------
Tim
ST Advocate

"Read the Bible again sometime. Women are painted as bigger antagonists than the Egyptians and Romans combined. It stinks." --"Serendipity," Dogma

"...I want to walk through life rather than being dragged through it."
- Alanis Morissette

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, have some patience...

As previously mentioned, Tim and I go to the same school, thus we suffered through the same sex-ed (or lack thereof) program. Don't get me wrong - what Tim mentioned is absolutely accurate and got me headed in the right direction but it was too little too late.

I had sex long before I was able to take health in high school - which is the only arena a decent sex ed course is offered. We did touch on it a bit in middle school but it was more of abstinence education than sex education. Needless to say I didn't abstain.

My first sexual experiences (at fourteen) involved barrier protection only for penis-in-vagina sex and even then we didn't use it early enough to be safe enough. As far as any other risky activities (oral and manual sex) no protection was used. Birth control beyond a condom was never used. Now it seems a small miracle that I didn't become pregnant or get a disease or infection.

Why was I so careless? Because I didn't know any better. I thought that what I was doing was perfectly safe. It never occurred to me that I could get pregnant from pre-ejaculate or an STD/STI from oral sex. No one had ever bothered to tell me these things.

Sex ed in high school was much better than that in middle school. However, to become as aware as I am now I had to use resources like Scarleteen. (Thank you Heather!)

A little background on what schools go through to get sex ed approved (at least in Michigan):
They are required to have an advisory board consisting of members of the communitee. There are requirements for that committee but I can't recall them off the top of my head. I do know that some parents, clergy, the class teacher, and the principal must be on the committee. This committee must be made aware of everything that is to be taught in the class and approve it. The condom on a banana bit was forbidden at our school because the committee didn't approve.

As for the abstinence thing, much federal funding hinges on abstinence. No abstinence pushing often equals no funding. In Michigan, if contraception is taught abstinence must be taught as well.

Okay, I've been pretty long-winded tonight. Good topic though.

------------------
There is a time and a place for everything.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 21 and in college -- a freshman, credits-wise

I had sex ed in elementary school (second or third grade then again in 5th or 6th) and again in junior high. In elementary school, all we were allowed to talk about was how and when girls get their periods. The girls were not allowed to learn about the "boys" stuff, and the boys were not allowed to learn about the "girls" stuff. We learned that things happen in this order:

1. You get pimples.
2. You get your period.
3. You have a baby.

Needless to say, when I got a pimple in 5th grade, I freaked out. The second round of elementary-school sex ed, I had moved to an entirely different part of the state (Iowa) and we learned about ovaries and what they produce, and testicles and what they produce. We learned that -- and this is a direct quote -- "People just don't have sex then get up and do something else. Sex is a dirty, nasty, messy thing." They gave us samples of Always pads and Pamprin, and sent us on our ways. We still didn't get to learn in a group of boys and girls.

By the time I was in junior high, I had moved to Missouri. I took a semester of Health in 9th grade -- it was still junior high in Columbia, where I was in the time -- and part of that semester was devoted to sex education. This time the class was full of boys and girls, and we watched a video of 4 different births -- 2 vaginal deliveries, one with an epidural and one without; 1 cesarian delivery; and 1 forceps delivery. (That video and I crossed paths again about 4 years later in childbirth class, actually.) We were told that abstinence is the ONLY way to handle yourself, that you CANNOT get pregnant from anything but vaginal intercourse, that you WILL get AIDS if you have multiple partners. We talked for a day about contraceptives, but NOT how to use them. We were told that intercourse is extremely messy.

That type of sex education did not help me one bit. I used condoms when I started being sexually active just because I was afraid of it being messy.

Then a few years later, in the middle of my unplanned-but-not-exactly-unwanted pregnancy at age 19, I found Scarleteen. I read all the articles within a week, and went back and re-read most of them by the end of the month. I found the boards in July of that year, and registered.

I've learned so very much from here since then. I've stopped using spermicide (And here I thought I had a latex allergy!!) I've continued using the condoms and the birth control and the gloves and all that good stuff.

The best thing I've learned here though, the most important, is that it's okay to be open about your sexuality. It's jokay to have sex before you're married, or to not even WANT to be married. Since learning this, all the guilt I used to feel about having sex has gone away. I don't feel like a "slut" anymore, and I'm glad other people think it's OK to slip the subject of oh, say, birth control into casual conversation. Being here has taught me to be comfortable in my skin, so to speak.

So. IMHO, abstinence-only sex education does not work, but the pretty-much-everything-you-do-as-long-as-it's-not-a-felony-or-harmful-to-yourself-or-others-is-okay-and-we-accept-you-for-who-you-are approach to sex education works miracles.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graduating in like, 4 months.
I go to a Catholic high school.

This was our sex-ed. It was in the Grade 8 religion textbook.

"Once upon a time there was a bear. His name was Brown Bear. Brown Bear lived in the forest with his family, and they loved each other very much.
When Brown Bear was born, his father carved for him a small box, and carved Brown Bear's *special name* inside of it.
As Brown Bear grew older, him and his father would collect different things to represent Brown Bea's personality. A feather from a blue jay taht Brown Bear had rescued to show his compassion, a picture of the fish he had caught when he was 5 to show his independence.
When Brown Bear got older, he began to notice another very pretty bear in his village, Golden Bear. He liked her very much. After spending much time together, Golden Bear asked Brown Bear to show her his special box. Brown Bear wasn't sure about that, but aafter Golden Bear encouraged him, he went and fetched his special box and showed her what was inside it.
Later that day, Brown Bear's father asked him to come on an expedition to find food for the family. Golden Bear wanted Brown Bear to stay. After much deliberation, Brown Bear decided to go fetch food with his family.
However, when Brown Bear got back, the other bears were staring at him, and some even called him by his special name! When he saw Golden Bear, she ignored him.
Very upset, Brown Bear went to his father and told him what had happened. His father was very sad, but told Brown Bear that together they would build a new box, with a new name, and put the first box inside it so that he could remember this experince."

If you don't believe me, find a copy of the Ontario old Curriculum Grade 8 religion textbook.

That's all the sex ed we got.
That why this site is a literal life saver.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those folks who wrote that book were on some serious perscription drugs. That was 8th grade? Pretty sad. If that was all that was given to kids from conservative backgrounds it probably went totally over their heads.

We had "Health" in 7th grade at my very small private school, which means that the teachers are incredibly terrified of pissing off the parents. We covered drugs for about a week("Kids, in order to smoke pot you must make a cigarrete out of it. This is how. Now NEVER do it!"). Then we went on to "dating and relationships," or in other words, the most useless junk I've ever heard in my life. There was some fake talk show we did, and all the girls had to go up because of our small number(6 altogether in the entire grade), and we had to say who we thought should ask the other out, who should pay for the date... Hetero-centric worthless jabbering. So I sat their for 15 minutes staring at the floor until a teacher took me out of the room and asked me what was wrong. I told her some junk about not believing in love and she let me go and sit in the back of the room with my buddies. There, you see? I, too, have had pointless supposedly-sex education.

------------------
"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in OAC (grade 13) ...

We started sex ed in grade 6. At least our school did ... My class didn't b/c we were a co-ed gym class and the teacher didn't want to teach us about sex w/ guys in the room. So then it was grade 7 health, which wasn't too bad. Basically just that babies come out of the vagina and that the spermies come from the penis and have to swim up there to get a woman pregnant. Grade 8 was just a repeat of grade 7 health. Maybe they told us twice so we didn't forget ... I dunno.

High school health was a bit better. We got to actually see pads and tampons and learn how to use them ... Thinking back, it came a little late, considering the fact that I (and most of my friends too) got my period 2 years prior. I did, however, get to see what a speculum looked like and got to put a condom on a wooden penis (twice, b/c i didn't leave room in the top the first time... oops)

Then i found scarleteen. Even tho the sex ed i received in school wasn't exactly great, my mom always explained everything to me and was always there when i had questions. I did actually learn a lot from ST too tho ... Mainly that sex is what you make of it. Intercourse is more than just the act itself and that no relationship is going to work unless it's based on a strong foundation (communication, people!). I also learned to be responsible for myself (annual checkups, condoms, lube ... stuff).

So yeah ... Sex ed does work, but i really don't think it can be left up to just the school, or just the parents. At one point or another, a teen is going to make their own choices. As long as they're informed, there's really nothing else anyone can do.

------------------
*~*Smurfie*~*
Scarleteen Advocate

"When I am alone I am not aware of my race or my sex, both in need of social context for definition."
~ Maxine Hong Kingston

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
looking over the posts i actually had decent sex education. in elementary school (4th grade i think)they seperated the girls and boys and went over - in detail with line drawings of the inside of the body - what periods are, how to deal with the blood, and what place they have in reporduction. it was mentioned in passing that there are forms of contraception and that STD's exist, but that was glossed over. we got lots of details on periods and none on anything else. and then we found out what the boys had heard about - mostly spontanious erections and their voices changing - by talking to them at lunch.
then when i was about 10 and started my period my father handed me a copy of the dr.s home medical encyclopedia and told me to call my aunt if i had any questions. my parents had recently gotten divorced and i think my father was uncomfortable taking to me about it. i called my mother and she told me she'd left some pads in the bathroom under the sink when she moved out, jsut in case. and my dad actually asked if i had any questions about a week later, he jsut didnt' know how to start the conversation.
in highschool - in 7th and again in 11th grades - we had health class. the last 4 weeks of the course were family life education. you had to get a permission slip signed to participate. we were lucky, we had a pretty detailed course. we went over diagrams of both sex'es bodys, outside and inside, with all the scientific names of all the parts. we talked about differnt types of protection and which ones had which failure rates, and which could be used together. my teacher mentioned that she was supposed to present abstinance as the best choice. we watched a movie about three different pregnant teens - one who kept it, one who had an abortion, and one who put it up for adoption - and had a discussion about all three options. we touched briefly on dental dams, and my teacher mentioned that comdoms were extremely important for anal sex, but we didn't go over nonheterosexual sex specificially. all in all it was pretty throughough i guess. its' weird, b/c i grew up in a tiny town in upstate new york, and two of the members of the board who'd designed the program were members of the clergy.
the best thing i got from the course was this though: my health teacher made a point of saying "no birthcontrol is 100%, so the only way to be truely responsible is to know what you would do if you got pregnant, and to talk to your partner about it."
after reading about some of the abysmal sex ed that people read, i'm doubly glad that places like this website exist.
'rin

------------------
<a href="http://www.inhabitcorners.blogspot.com">who is rin</a>

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeno
Neophyte
Member # 5125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does sex education work? Well, in order to answer this question, one should of course consider the purpose of sex education. If its purpose is to enforce values, I think that in the end it would be contraproductive. Now many of you might think that I'm aiming at abstinence-based, heterocentrist sex education, and these are probably the most harmful. However, I have also found that even if values are taught that are in accordance with your own, it always feels a bit obligate and overly politically correct, especially if you're a teen, when your natural instinct is to rebel against authority, even if you agree with it. So sex education should simply be about telling teens all of the facts, and about your responsibility for making your own choices.
As for the sex education I have received, it was pretty good, but a bit repetitive and fragmented. The first (school) sex education I received was when I was about 10 or so, on elementary school. We were basically told about what happens when you reach puberty, a bit about pregnancy and safe sex (we filled a condom with water... I think it hold over 20 liters before it burst, or maybe that's just my overimaginative memory ). I can't remember much, but it was all playful and honest.
When I was 13, it was discussed more in depth. Topics included safe sex (including safe oral sex perfomed on a male, but not on a female), relationships, homosexuality, STI's and STD's, contraceptives. We had to learn the atanomy of both male and female reproductive organs and be able to recognize them in drawings.
Then we had to learn it all again, and more in depth when I was 15, and again when I was 16, for biology. By that time it had gotten from exciting to boring .
So, in conclusion, too much repetition and fragmentation. And still they managed to forget parts, so I'm thankful that I've found this site. I also feel that sex education should not only concentrate on all of the horrible diseases, but also on ways to make sex the joy that it can be, and to just be playful about it. Some more discussions in class would be nice too.

[edit]
Oh, and I'm 18 now and in university, if you want to know.

[This message has been edited by Zeno (edited 01-22-2002).]

Posts: 8 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoohBear84
Activist
Member # 6516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoohBear84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a tough one... Does sex education work... Well since i live in The Big Apple, sex education is extremely important (not that it isn't important everywhere else) and the school i go to knows that. So in my experiences yes, it does work, they have showed us how to use condoms and diaphragms... They have had people come in and give public speeches to the highschool, we also have two very open guidance counsleors, who aren't supposed to provide protection, but if you ask and they know that you need it, they will provide it for you. NOT only have we had sex-ed but we have had education about drugs... and if you are addicted, where to get a clean needle and so forth and so on.

But i really think that it just depends on the school you go to, and how open the school is about sex and drugs, and weather that school is willing to notice that if they don't talk about it, and they don't condone it at all, and they choose to ignore it it will still happen.

------------------
~*Katie*~

Be yourself, because then no one can ever tell you that you are doing it wrong

[This message has been edited by PoohBear84 (edited 01-22-2002).]

Posts: 91 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Munchy
Activist
Member # 6463

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Munchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious as to whether there's anyone here who's parents started talking to them about sex at a very young age (3-6 or so) when you first started asking questions about where babies come from, etc. Did your parents keep the subject open for discussion, so you would feel comfortable talking to them about it whenever you had a question or a problem? If so, did that help you a great deal, or do you wish they had just left you alone about it, or let someone else tell you about it?

------------------
Munchy, the Munchkin, the Monchichi

Posts: 64 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoohBear84
Activist
Member # 6516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoohBear84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, my parents started really early with me, i think even before i could read, my mom got me the "where babys come from" book or something like that. My mom and i have always been open with that stuff, which is great becuase i know if i have a problem she won't freak out if i tell her. But the downside to it, is that i want privacy, which she doesn't understand, but i guess it's better to be open than not.

I really like the fact that my parents have been advocating to me since i was little what sex was and what the female and male anatomy is... i'm still a little freaked out about the male anatomy in person, but i knew from a young age what it all did, and why. It was never: "your brother was delivered by mail." and i really respect my parents for that, or more so my mom.

------------------
~*Katie*~

Be yourself, because then no one can ever tell you that you are doing it wrong

Posts: 91 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I've mentioned before, my parents were natural childbirth educators, and they used to take me with them to classes when I was young. (I'd play with my toys in the back, or read a book.)

I knew where babies came from in extensive detail from a very early age, which lead to a need to have the "Okay, Small Erin, you can't tell strangers in the supermarket about that" discussion.

I didn't, however, learn about safer sex, birth control, and the whole lot until after I was out of my teens -- I had some health education, but I never saw that as pertaining to me simply because I thought I'd never ever have sex.

So, when all of a sudden I was in situations where I could be seuxally active, I realized I had to rectify my ignorance right quick.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I complained about my sex education once on the boards, and was politely informed that it was better than average. That was quite a shock, to say the least.

Way back in 5th grade, they separated us by sex and showed drawings of the anatomy of both sexes, explained what happens during puberty, and let us ask one question anonymously.

I think we did something in 6th grade, too, but I can't remember learning anything from it.

A couple of times in middle school (6-8th grades), there was an abstinence-only message placed in a feel-good presentation. I still don't get what they thought they were saying by mentioning that condom failure rate is over 20%. A logical conclusion: it doesn't work, so don't use it. *sigh*

In 9th grade, I took Health. (I had an odd schedule, so it fit in early; most of the people in the class were 11th and 12th graders.) That was my first "real" education. They covered two things in great detail. Contraception: all the methods, failure rates alone and in combination with other methods, how to buy condoms, where to get everything. And STDs: names, symptoms (sometimes none!), how they spread (including noting that oral and anal are often less safe in this respect), where to get tested. On the last day, one anonymous question from each person was answered. No mention of anything but mainstream sex: nothing on BDSM, homo/bisexuality, relationships (communication!), or gender.

In 10th grade biology, we covered strictly anatomy, nothing more.

One day when I was in community college, I was getting the Irish Rovers cassette down from the Bookshelf of Stuff Mom Doesn't Look At Anymore, and noticed a couple of books. So later, when I was home alone, I read them. They said masturbation was okay, but didn't cover disease very well.

In September of 2001, I was 20 years old, and had just transferred to UB for my third year of college. I have absolutely no idea where I'd heard of it, but I came to Scarleteen. I spent a couple of evenings looking through everything on the site. My only regret is not finding it Before.

------------------
Sapphire Cat
The world needs me, to know not everyone is the same.
Artist, poet, programmer, dreamer, and crossdressing bondage kitty

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InputPlease
Neophyte
Member # 6834

Icon 5 posted      Profile for InputPlease     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a teacher who Is a horrible sex ed teacher. She cant defend her aguments and teaches us the wrong stuff. So it mainly depends on the teacher

------------------
"I wanted to see exotic Vietnam, the jewel of South East Asia. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture and, kill them." -Joker (Full Metal Jacket)

Posts: 3 | From: Newburyport Mass, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee
Activist
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whether sex ed works or not depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you're trying to pass on information so that people can make informed choices, then I'd say anything that gives them that information is a success and works. Not all "sex ed" programs are trying to do this, so not all of them work in my opinion. Some are little more than sexual scare tactics and thinly veiled superstitious dogma. These programs might very well have the effect their creators intended, but that doesn't mean they work.

Ultimately it is the responsibility of each individual to seek out the facts for themself. Knowledge is something that must be pursued, not something you should expect to be spoon fed with. If someone isn't being taught the facts in school then it is their own fault if they haven't sought out the information on their own. Go to the library, go online (preaching to the choir now aren't I?), ask questions. Don't just sit there and play dumb and wait for someone to come along and enlighten you.

Lee

Posts: 175 | From: Tempe, AZ USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the net isnt exactly a bastion of fact which means we are just lucky to have come across this site. Libraries... well depends what country or state you are in. Schools are a really good place to teach people important things early and yet it is so often squandered by religious dogma.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dropped out of school and got my ged but the class didnt help for me. they did the videos of girls having babies and the concraptives on fruit and stuff like that and even the stds and everything but it didnt help me. i still got pregnant at 14 and didnt use protection and after that a few months later i heard a rumor that my sons father had aids. it wasnt true thank god but it gave me a scare. i dont know why nothing helped me i was a smart kid, i new everything that could have happened. i wasnt that rebelious or anything but nothing worked. its the things that i wasnt taught about much that i never did. like drugs and stuff. but i would prefer to talk to my kids about everything and let the schools help me out.

[This message has been edited by unhappykoger (edited 02-11-2002).]

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lil' GreenBean Nose
Neophyte
Member # 7016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' GreenBean Nose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in ninth grade, and as far as I know, my school doesn't have a sex ed. class. I remember when I was in seventh, we watched some videos thats basically said to wait until marrriage to have sex. Once they seperated the guys and girls into different classes and gave us lil pamplets telling us about our anatomy and such. But, until I found Scarleteen, I knew pretty much nothing about sex. I think schools need to teach an actual sex education class, because abstinece only doesn't work. People are going to particiapte in sexual activites if they wanna, and its better for them to know what they are doing than to go at it uninformed. So, absitence only "sex education" does not work. But I think if they actually taught us something, like the stuff I have learned at Scarleteen, it would work very well.
Posts: 10 | From: Alabama | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I simply have to butt in and say that Lil' Green Bean Nose is about one of the cutest handles I've seen in years.)
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Touchstone
Neophyte
Member # 3659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Touchstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as for school sex ed :

I'm in 8th grade, and i have had sex ed this year...

5th grade was when they first talked about erections and periods, 6th grade mostly focused on sexual harassment. in 7th grade we watched video's on contraceptives, and our teacher stressed masturbation was ok.

before 5th grade all they talked about was sexual abuse.

and before i discovered scarleteen, i was incredibly clueless...heh i didnt know what masturbation was, even though i had been doing it for at least 2 years, goodnight

Posts: 36 | From: USA, NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shenzie2007
Activist
Member # 9027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shenzie2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Looking through all this, I have to say we've had great sex ed so far, even though it was such crap that the only year I paid attention was in 6th grade (I'm in seventh now, going into eighth grade this year at a new school.) At our school, it was straight-only, and there were two kinds of sex: oral and p-in-v intercourse. They didn't go over contraceptives, but there was a chart of effectiveness in the workbooks. We watched a live-birth video, which taught basically nothing, but in the second part, after the live birth, they mentioned masturbation once. I think the teacher got up and fast-forwarded through a lot of it.
The whole time, there were people calling each other names and taunting each other. We had a substitute for a week, and she let the comments go unchecked. She was an awful pain. Anyway, I got sick of it, tuned it out, and doodled through most of the class. It was irrelevant. I'm lesbian. This was for straight kids only.
I have to say that Scarleteen was a revelation. I'm now informed and no longer ashamed of the world for all its dirtyness. Many cheers for Scarleteen!
My mother once talked to me when I was eight, saying what to do when I got my period. I'm glad she did, because they didn't talk about that again 'til sixth grade. Shame, 'cause lots of us had our periods before that time of year, I'm sure.

------------------
When authorities warn you of the sinfulness of sex, there is an important lesson to be learned. Do not have sex with the authorities. -Matt Groening, Life In Hell

"Pope John Paul today confirmed his opposition to gay marriages. Said that they are unnatiral. Gay marriages are unnatural. Then he put on a pointy hat, his dress, and returned to never having sex at all." -- Bill Maher, Politically Incorrect

Posts: 73 | From: dallas, texas, usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When they talk about sex, it's always penis/vagina sex. Nothing about anal sex, lesbian sex, oral sex...the list goes on. The outcome is, most people in my year wouldn't even think about using a condom for oral sex. Sad isn't it?

The teachers are sooo touchy about things like gay sex and BDSM...
Tana: What's bondage?
Some smart-ass: Poofs tying each other up.
Teacher: We will NOT discuss that sort of 'perversion' here!
That made me an Angry Badger

I suppose we should be grateful that we even get sex ed at all, after reading some other posts , but I wish we got the whole picture, not just the things the government wants us to know.
*Badger*

------------------
Hahahahah...I am evil...pure evil!!! Oh sorry, did you want something?

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grade 10 in High School.

The only thing they taught us in school sex-ed was...

1) Wait until you're married.
2) How scary STDs are (they showed pictures and everything).

With my STD knowledge from ST on top of the inability to be "grossed out", I was pretty okay when they showed the pictures.

I remember trying to decide whether sex before marriage was okay or if it was right to wait. But now, I definitely say you canhave sex before marriage, but sex doesn't equal love.

I also used to think "abortion is wrong!" and all that stuff, but now I realize that just because of one mistake you shouldn't have to suffer with something you don't want for the rest of your life, plus the fact that this world already had enough unwanted children.

Anyway, ST really, really helps me. It pushes misguided people in a whole different direction (if they're willing to accept that safer-sex is the way to go).

As far as keeping us informed about the diseases and infections and consequences that can sometimes come out of having sex, I think school sex-ed is okay. But telling kids that they should wait until marriage isn't. It's their choice.

I'm a Christian, and God says that you should "save yourself until marriage." But being Christian doesn't mean that you have to follow everything God says, and I don't.

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer24 (edited 07-23-2002).]

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OoMEoO
Activist
Member # 6026

Icon 12 posted      Profile for OoMEoO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned what a scrotum was in sex ed class...

i like sex ed class only cuz its really funny hearing teachers say those type of things.....but besides that, it really is a wasted class!

Posts: 118 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilykitten
Neophyte
Member # 9295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilykitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...what is this "sex ed" you speak of?

I knew of someone in my school who got her period in 8th grade... and didn't know what it was. She was found crying in the bathroom because she thought she was dying.

I got my first taste of it in High School. I go to a religious private high school... so, use your imagination. You probably know that we didn't really talk about anything.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sex ed... i remember that... well actually i had health... which had a bit of sex ed in it.

my teacher did this thing where everyone got an index card, and they wrote down any question they wondered at all. she collected them all, than went through the questions and answered all of them.

it worked pretty well, except for the total immature guys in my class... which wise cracks and full of laughs.

i think sex ed works if the class is mature about it, and the teacher is well informed. my teacher was informed, but not as well as one may have hoped.

but i did actually learn sum stuff about sex, diseases, etc. =)

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HockeyGrl
Neophyte
Member # 9401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HockeyGrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion I think sex ed is valuable but obviously isn`t been taught well enough or being taught as OFTEN as it should be...

Why are there 12 year old girls pregnant?!

How come there is an almost equal amount of teens giving birth as there are adults?!

Why is there such concern for STD awareness if if this supposed education is working?!

But all in all I think the sex ed needs to be taught first and foremost at HOME! Schools bring it into classrooms and have it as a course but seriously ... parents should be doing their jobs and telling their children ;

Sex is for responsible couples in a situation to handle the possibility of a baby

Sex is something that is shared between a couple NOT a community (Promiscuous activity)

There is no danger in keeping your pants on

These are things that parents need to say to their children as young as 10 yrs old these days seeing as there is such an alarming rate of pregnancy and std`s among young teens and KIDS...(12, 13, 14)....

Sex ed should be as common a discussion in the home as discussing what the family wants for dinner...plain and simple. Keep your kids informed and UP TO DATE and maybe JUST maybe, in the precious young years to come the kids will be kids rather than parents themselves.

Thank You.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charming opinions indeed.

quote:
Originally posted by HockeyGrl:
How come there is an almost equal amount of teens giving birth as there are adults?!

...seeing as there is such an alarming rate of pregnancy and std`s among young teens and KIDS...(12, 13, 14)....

And where are you getting your information? Are you aware that teenage pregnancy is currently at its lowest level in modern memory, 20% lower than it was at its peak in 1990? (US Centers for Disease Control Teenage Pregnancy Report, June 2001)

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Just a short note on one of your comments, Hockey: while it's certainly a person's right to choose any sort of partnership model they like for themselves, having a single partner (rather than multiple partners, for which "promiscuity" isn't an apt term, as it is a jugdement meant to mmean "too many" partners -- which doesn't help us since that's totally subjective) isn't making a difference (and never really has, in terms of disease, infection and pregnancy) for STD and STI transmission rates in teens. Yes, limiting the number of partners one has can help, esp. if sexual activity (not just intercourse) is unprotected.

But. A CDC report shows that only a minority of teens (less than 20%) have had multiple partners in the last decade. Most reliable stats also show that most teens STILL are not practicing safer sex from the onset with even one or their first partner, and that several STDs and STIs show HIGH prevalance and devlopment in peopple with just ONE lifetime partner, like a longitudinal study done in the UK which, in studying 262 women with just one lifetime partner, found that 46% became positive for HPV within three years after first intercourse. The median time from first intercourse to first detection of HPV was only three months.

And Dan has a very good point, since every statistic from any reliable group over the last twenty years has shown a steep DECLINE in teen pregnancies, not an increase, and I have never seen a researched and validated stat that showed teens under the age of majority having as many pregnancies as those above that age since the 60's. Ever.

I'm inclined to say that in terms of judging whether sex ed works or not, even small things like this make clear that if the information being given during sex ed is fallacious or partial or based more in personal values than facts (i.e. religiously-based abstinence movements without ANY information on sexuality save "Don't"), we handicap it from the onset. And in a lot of places -- including the US -- that is a big problem a whole lot of the time. So, to say sex ed isn't working because of some effects seen (I'm not talking about some folks assume are so, I'm talking about validated effects), isn't accurate, since it seems to assume that highly informational, factual and comprehensive sex education is widely available, which it evry much is not.

Even looking at the limited responses in this post, that should be pretty darned obvious, and mind you, this is coming from users in countries and locales with the resources to have Internet Access, and thus, a group MOST likely to get comprehensive sex ed -- and even that group often does not.

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 08-18-2002).]

jessakuh
Activist
Member # 7322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessakuh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sex ed..i guess was ok...they teach you the basics...i leanred about it in elementry school first we go the boy and girls spereated and learned about the periods,in jr high we didnt really learn much basically everything we leanr in elementry school. In my high school you only take one yr of health and thats in 10th grade. We talked about sex and std's and contraception but very vaguely. I happened to teach my teacher a few things that he never knew, bc i learned mostly everything i know through friends and this site.We learned that abstinence is the only way to be safe.But if you do have sex use protection.So i guess it depends on where your getting it from. btw im in 11th grade =]
Posts: 41 | From: Ronkonkoma,Ny,USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HockeyGrl
Neophyte
Member # 9401

Icon 4 posted      Profile for HockeyGrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly my mother is the head doctor in the neonatal and labor and delivery ward at a well known hospital in my city (Toronto) and when she comes home after work and tells me she delieverd a 12 year olds baby or she has a 15 yr old in labor with her 2nd child...that doesn`t really give me much confidence in the supposed sex education being "taught" in schools and in the home. THAT is why I gave my opinion above!

My mother delievers as many babies from teens than she does from adults...and for one I never said that my opinions were based on polls or recent surverys so let`s just clear that up....I don`t need a survey or stat to prove my point when I see/hear this crap everyday! My opinions and statements were based on the experiences I have been through and what my mother sees for herself at work. When you`re a 19 yr old who has seen first hand probably about...80% of my friends either a) have a pregnancy scare b) have an STD or c) have a child...I think I have a right to say that there is obviously a problem out there whether or not the national surveys and CDC information is up to date or not.
If the statistic`s are saying that oh yeah great the pregnancy rate is dropping...maybe people need to look at how high the abortion rate is then because from what I see on the streets and in school (young girls pregnant) I wonder...if they aren`t giving birth then...where do the babies go..hmm?!

DANBRUIN did I give a SPECIFIC Stat when I commented on how alarming it is that seeing as there is such an alarming rate of pregnancy and std`s among young teens and KIDS...(12, 13, 14)....? I did not...I`m clearing saying that I`m floored at the fact that whether or not there is a specific percentage of young teens with stds...there is still a percentage. And why?! Well maybe we need to go the parents of the infected, impregnated or teen mothers and ask them if they took the necessary steps in trying to prevent their kids from becoming a statistic.

No matter how many stats and polls and whatever else people throw my way I will not change the outlook I have on this situation. I think a parent should use whatever approach is necessary to wake their kids up even if it "accurate" or not...if it`s going to make a kid think twice...use it! Why does everyone think you have to be pin point accurate in order to teach your kids something? If I had to I`d tell my kids that if they got pregnant they`d grow a second head I would! Necessary action is what I believe works...accurate or not!

Posts: 34 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.