Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Drug companies faulted in rapes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drug companies faulted in rapes?
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a scary thought: drug companies being held responsible when someone uses their products to in rape cases. As you would expect, although the linked article is from Australia, the line of thought originated in America.

Does anyone out there like this? Although I hate to use this logic, drugs don't rape people, people rape people. Trying to get drugs off the street is one thing, but you can't fault drug makers (just as you can't fault other corporations) for what others do with their products.

[off topic]
The one exception I might make to this, however, would be if companies were dishonest with the public about what their products do, such as cigarette companies allegedly were.

------------------
My God can beat up your God.
-Weights and Measures

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I am not one to defend companies all that often but in this case the suggested legistastion is... rather contentious to say the least. I suppose there should be careful regulation of sleeping drugs, and powerful ones should be perscribed with care. But this seems to be taking it far too far.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, is this dicey. Can we then sue, say all comapnies who produce alchol in rapes in which rapists were inebriated? If a rapist is say, taking Ritalin for ADD when he or she rapes, is Ritalin responisble? Can we sue McDonald's for giving people high cholestorol which may agitate them, make them unhealthy, and then in someone's mind be a rape-contributor? Egad.

I'm with you, Dzuun. People rape, not drugs, and what we put into our bodies is usually of our own choosing. The only way I could see a valid case for this was in the event that a given drug company PROMOTED their drug, or expressly created it for the purpose of sexual assault or to aid in assault, or if the drug was administred BY the company TO the rapist against his or her will. Like that's going to happen.

We're too litigious of a culture as it is, and we often shoot ourselves in the foot with it, IMO. Our energies regarding rape should be channeled into working on offenders to work on social and cultural issues which contribute to rape, so in the case of drug use, working to find the WHY of why drugs may be used, and we aren't going to find that by suing drug companies, or by suing anyone, for that matter.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think it's absurd to sue the drug manufacturers in these cases because clearly, the perpetrator of the assault was not using the drug as directed. in the united states, this is technically against the law. No drug may be used for purposes for which the FDA has not granted approval -- this means if dandruff shampoo cures genital warts, doctors technically can't prescribe the shampoo for the warts unless the FDA approves its use as a wart rememdy.

I can only guss there are similar laws in Canada and other parts of the world. since there aren't any drugs expressly approved for the purpose of sedation and assault, then any of these date-rapes that employed drugs are all blatant abuses of the drug. the drug was used in a manner not authorized by the drug company or government agency (FDA for example), therefore, the drug company should be exonerated from any liability in the assault.

am i coherent here, like was my point conveyed okay?

------------------
srm? wtf? iyhta ... rtfm!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do think it sounds absurd to sue the drug companies for something like that. And I'm sure that in some part it's simply precipitated by greed on the part of some individuals involved in the situation.

However, as unreasonable as it may be, some people do sue for a legitimate reason (albeit they sue the wrong person/company). It's as simple as medical bills. Medical bills are hugely expensive, especially if you're figuring in psych bills and perscription drugs. That money has to come from somewhere, and if you don't have insurance or your insurance isn't enough or the money you gain in a law suit against your attacker won't cover it, then where do you get it? You sue somebody who can afford to lose a bit. No, it's not necessarily right, but I think those are the breaks sometimes. This happens on a regular basis in auto accidents and other such tramatic events that get highly expensive.

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"Never insult an alligator until after you've crossed the river." ~Oriental Proverb

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KittenGoddess:
However, as unreasonable as it may be, some people do sue for a legitimate reason (albeit they sue the wrong person/company).

A very good point, Kitto. But the fact that the people sue the wrong person or company would sort of negate the legitimacy of their claim, wouldn't it?

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I quite agree, Danny. That does certainly negate the legitimacy of the claim itself. I guess my point was just that when you've got bills, especially medical bills, the money has to come from somewhere. Right or wrong, sometimes you just gotta pick somebody to try to get the cash from.
Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely that is a terrible flaw in the health system.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
violet
Neophyte
Member # 4577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
please excuse my ignorance, and perhaps straying off topic a little, but what is rohypnol actually for? it must be marketed for something legitemate, but i've only ever herd of it as a 'date-rape drug'.
Posts: 29 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Flunitrazepam (rohypnol) was developed in Europe as a more potent seditive than diazapam (Valium) for short term treatment of insomnia and as a preanesthetic medication. It has never been approved by the FDA for prescription sale in the United States. Some information can be found about it here. You can also find out more about this drug using the Google search engine which I highly recommend for anyone reseaching a topic on the internet.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.