Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Sperm Donor Anonymity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sperm Donor Anonymity
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a movement afoot in Canada to change the law that keeps sperm donors anonymous.

I understand why people wouldn't want sperm donors to be anonymous. However, I think that few sperm donors will come forth, if the cloak is lifted.

------------------
My God can beat up your God.
-Weights and Measures

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, the entire issue is very sticky, obviously. And I can see where both sides are coming from.

But (leaving out the stem cell research bit, as that's a completely different issue), I think the really important part of all this is keeping a record that can be accessed about the medical and genetic history of the donor. I'd definately like to see that. It's only fair to the child to allow them to know what they might have future risk factors for.

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"Never insult an alligator until after you've crossed the river." ~Oriental Proverb

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the identity of the donors should be kept private for those who had agreed to the original system. In other words, they cannot change the law for people who had donated sperm under different regulations. That would be very unfair. For future sperm donations it would be ok but I would imagine a decrease in volunteers.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
If ever there was an arguement for sperm doner anonimity, this incident in Sweden where a man is being made to support 3 children of a lesbian couple must surely seal it. No way am I ever going to donate if I knew this could happen to me.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 12-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 12-10-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poor man! He must be thinking of the injustice of it all! Especially since he was forced to pay after the women split up.

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most often the non-biological parent loses their rights or never has them to begin with when it comes to homosexual couples. I know that in Quebec this is the case and I suspect this is so in most places. So when gay parents break up the non-biological parent has no rights or responsibilities to the child he/she parented with their ex-partner.

Even with that in mind I don't see how this Swedish couple would seek financial support from the man who donated sperm (their friend -he was not an anonymous donor) for the children.

One guess I have is that one woman was left alone with children and was the sole person to support them. Perhaps she could not seek support from her ex (due to the laws) but could after the man. To me that still seems unfair.

If only we could learn all the details in the case. I would have a better understanding and assessment of the situation.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.