Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » The c-word... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The c-word...
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't bother me. It sounds powerful and very cool, so I like the word. Say this aloud: Mike Hunt.
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A number of years ago, my father (always the practical joker) sent a secretary at his school searching for a student named "Mike Hunt". Obviously, there was no such student. There was only a red-faced secretary, mad at my father, when a class full of students laughed at her. He was good friends with her, though, and they laugh about it now, so it was all in good fun.

------------------
"Just remember you'll only be the boss so long as you pay my wage!"
-Elvis Costello, Cheap Reward

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 01-03-2003).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that reminds me of something. We were getting quotes from students for an article my school newspaper was writing, someone told us there name was Mike Hung, well on paper it doesn't look like nothing. But OH MY what a response we got when the article was printed...lol
Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UKgirl
Activist
Member # 11280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by la jaunty bohemian:
I really, really didn't like the c-word for a long time. It tops the list of insults you can throw at a woman.
[/B]

I know this is going back a bit, sorry.
I have NEVER heard the C-word used to insult a woman, only ever men. Is this a Brit thing? How about tw*t to insult a man?

Over here, with my friends, we use the rather coy term fanny (which in Britain means the front bits. Makes watching US TV very funny indeed! Fanny-pack has a whole different meaning!). Its a bit of a childinsh term, a bit like willy for penis, but the upside is that it has NO derogatory meaning.

Posts: 166 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over here in North America, I think the c-word is only used against women. I never hear it (except perhaps from youngsters who haven't quite grasped it yet) as a slander against men.

And the t-word that you mention, UKgirl, here it seems used mostly as a novelty. People don't say it very often.

------------------
"Just remember you'll only be the boss so long as you pay my wage!"
-Elvis Costello, Cheap Reward

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tw*t.

On Thanksgiving I was in the kitchen with my Grandma and my sister and I meant jokingly to call my sister a twit. I accidentally said "tw*t" and my sister and Grandma, at the same time laughed and said "what!?".

Oops.

------------------
"A sad soul can kill you quicker than a germ." -John Steinbeck

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." -Maya Angelou

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UKgirl
Activist
Member # 11280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry to linger on this, but i was just wondering what exactly it means in the US when you call a woman a c*nt? In the UK when you call a man a c*nt it means he is thoughtless, unkind, and generally really nasty, a bit like b*stard. Often used by women to describe ex-boyfriends!
Posts: 166 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UKGirl, you've basically got it. Sort of like 'bitch', only harsher. And yeah, so far as I know, it's only used against men by Brits.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

It was a good lay. . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leClowne
Neophyte
Member # 11376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leClowne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find "c." extremely offensive when used as an insult. I actually think it's worse than being called a "b.," "sl." or "wh.," because while those words are defining one as a nasty or loose woman, 'c.' is pretty much summing you up as a single body part (in other words, "You c***!" equals "You are an object that's only good for sex."). I use p**** for references, just because vagina and "twat" (I find that word hilarious) are unfamiliar for me to say. Generally, I just refer to it over the phone, whereas in person - since it's not a separate entity but very much a part of my being - I refer to my whole self.

Note: This was all derived from watching Robin Williams on "Inside the Actor's Studio" on Bravo. (Guess what his least favorite and most favorite word is? :3 )

Posts: 13 | From: crazy LA, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maharet
Activist
Member # 3806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maharet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, it's amazing to me how long ago I started the topic -- it seems SO much like yesterday!

Anyway, I recently discovered something about the university that I go to. It was originally called the Western Australian Insitute of Technology (WAIT), and then they decided to change the name in the 80s or so, to Curtin University of New Technology... then some smart person realised that the acronym (sp?) was cunt, and it was very quickly changed to the current Curtin University of Technology. I think it's a crying shame, I would have loved to go to a university called cunt! ROFL!

Posts: 66 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Maharet:

WAIT and CUNT just sound too funny together.

CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Noticed that people were wondering where the word came from. I'm directing The Vagina Monologues this year for my school, and V-Day's website has this lovely little article up for the organizers. Thought I'd share.

quote:

ORIGINS OF THE WORD CUNT
by Gloria Bertonis, M.Ed. from the book STONE AGE DIVAS www.firstwrites.com/Gloria_Bertonis/stoneAgeDivas.html

"Cuneiform", the most ancient form of writing, derives from "kunta" meaning "female genitalia" in Sumerian of ancient Iraq. "Kunta" is "woman" in several Near Eastern and African languages and a Mother Tongue that is being compiled by linguists today. It was also spelled "quna," which is the root of "queen." Since priestesses were known to be accountants/administrators of Temple of Inanna in Sumeria c.3100 B.C. when Cuneiform was first used, it is highly likely that cuneiform was "the sign of the kunta" who kept the books (clay tablets) for the temple economy/redistribution of wealth that evolved from communal economics of ancient mother-cultures.

So when an abuser calls a woman a "cunt" he is actually calling her a "queen who invented writing and numerals." Girls and women can thus reclaim the words in our language that have been used as weapons against us in emotionally explosive situations. The word "prostitute" (law giver of the temple) and "whore" (houri, Persian, which means a gorgeous semi-divine female that awaits men in the 7th Heaven) are some of the finest compliments a woman can be given.

Many ancient languages did not have huge vocabularies as we do and the same word had many meanings, according to the context in which it was used. "Kunta" is also the root of kundalini (energy), khan (highest leader of the Eurasian steppe nomads, whose society was originally matriarchal and who still have remnants of a matriarchate), quantity, any words that start with "kw", qu, or kh. Examples: Cunda, mother of Buddha according to Japanese; Cunti-Devi, Goddess of kundalini energy, India; Kunta, means literally one who has female genitalia, and describes a priestess, ancient Sumeria; Kun, Goddess of Mercy, India; Quani, Korean goddess; Qudshu, female priestess of ancient Canaan & Phoenicia, which became the Roman province of Palestine after they conquered it; Quadesha, Sumerian word for a type of priestess. Qu' can also mean love, sensuality, sexuality, the divinity present in all females.

So, the most interesting conclusion is that the Koran or Quran, is actually the book of love for females. Female sensuality is probably the literal translation, but Muslims translate it as "reading or lection", which is also flattering to females because the mothers of Arabs were always their only teachers before Mohamad dictated the Koran. Now they have Koranic schools called "Madrasas", the mother-schools, although they now teach only boys and denigrate women. Almost every value word in the Muslim religion, including "Muslim" is a mother-word, derived from the mother root: Mohamad, mufti, mosque, madrasa, Makka (Mecca), Madina, mukhtar, mujahadeem, mezes, and many, many more.

Another variation is "quern," a hand-mill used by ancient women to grind grain into flour. The etymology points to housewives of ancient Mesopotamia, present-day Iraq and parts of Iran, Palestine, & Syria, where agriculture began, as the ones who invented bread out of flour by adding a liquid and letting the dough sit for while until air-borne yeasts raised it. When baked in their clay ovens, it resulted in the most remarkable invention of the human race, the staff of life, bread. It was also baked quickly, without waiting for the yeasts to lighten it, and is known today as pita.

For more reading on women's contributions to culture and civilization, go to the website: www.firstwrites.com/Gloria_Bertonis/stoneAgeDivas.html

To purchase a copy of the book or to use any excerpt from the book, write to the author by email at: stoneagedivas@cs.com

Posts: 136 | From: City of Angels | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazz
Activist
Member # 6206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maharet: i hardly ever post, but i'm always lurking around here. i just thought id tell you, im at Curtin too. I didnt know about the name change, i kinda wish they would have left it as cunt too, hilarious!
Posts: 88 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anarcho-mama
Neophyte
Member # 12433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anarcho-mama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE LOVE LOVE inga muscio, her book, and the word cunt. I don't like any of the other words for it, except for yoni. Cunt rocks. People who have or love cunts rock. WOOHOO! Also, my partner refers to my genitalia as my cunt. I think that's fine. He's respectful, and he's not just using it in the bad way and feeling validated, which I would have a problem with. I also use the words fag, dyke, tranny, queer, etc. because I identify as queer, and am in a very queer-friendly community. Even straight people in my community do the same, we hardly even remember that those words used to NOT be ours. I don't words like "bitches" "whores" or "niggas" because I'm uncomfortable with them. But if someone uses them in a non-derogatory manner, I'm okay with that.

------------------
Mandy
Julian's rockin mama!

Posts: 11 | From: Louisville, KY, amerikkka | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nickshanks
Neophyte
Member # 21679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nickshanks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the blo‍ody point in having this net nanny thing censoring half the fuc‍king words in this thread? I mean, it's not as if cu‍nt is even that bad a word. I would be more offended being called untrustworthy or disloyal than any word such as cu‍nt — e.g. "Ehh, he's just being a cu‍nt, ignore him and have another pint." is not at all offensive, which is how the word is used most often. Being shouted as an insult is very rare.

As for me, i usually use the word during coitus to heighten arousal :-)

Posts: 1 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've read through pretty much all of these posts, and I'd like to add that I never knew the work "twit" had some kind of underlying sexual conotation...haha I use it all the time, and for some reason that never occured to me!

Or have I fallen completely off the base and been blown into the Mid-Atlantic?

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Yeah, you're sort of missing it, JamSessionVT...

It isn't 'twit' that was picked up by the censor. Change the 'i' in 'twit' with an 'a', and you've got it.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=twat&x=0&y=0

JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahaaa!

*whacks self in head*

Doi, thanks Dzuumond...I should have seen that coming

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 3 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I don't really like the "c" word just because it just seems degrading sexually but again, i don't use it often enough as a substitute to the word of pussy and what not. Pussy and vagina seem more natural. I don't like to use the more medical terms of clitoris, and etc. I used to refer my vagina and vaginal area with "sweet forbidden fruit". I don't refer to that anymore as I have grown customed to "vagina" and
"pussy".

I agree that genitals are beautiful, and they are to be described beautiful which is why "sweet forbidden fruit" sounded relevant to me.

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pussy and vagina seem more natural. I don't like to use the more medical terms of clitoris, and etc.

I'm curious - why does "clitoris" seem more medical than "vagina" to you?

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by logic_grrl:
I'm curious - why does "clitoris" seem more medical than "vagina" to you?

Yes, it may be vagina and clitoris are both medical and psychological words for describing females genitals. However, it seem to be more familiar and easier for people to recongnize with vagina rather that clitoris. Some people don't even know what clitoris means or where it is. So thus, it seems more natural to say vagina.

I hope this answers your question

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EverTheWild
Neophyte
Member # 20932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EverTheWild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE the word cunt! It is my favorite word for my genitalia. Also, I think it is the sexiest sounding word if that's the context you're refering to your genitalia in (when you don't want a sterile medical term, if you're into talking while fooling around). The consonants are all so crisp and sharp and wonderful!

I didn't actually realize cunt was THE worst swear word until earlier this year. I still thought it was **** . I guess I just hadn't been in a situation where people were using it to insult each other (no one scrawled on our bathroom walls "x is a cunt").

My friend wanted to get me the book _Cunt_ for my birthday but couldn't find it. She got me _Bitch_ instead. It's a very interesting book, although it's filled with pop culture references I don't understand...

Posts: 36 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxxheatherxxx
Neophyte
Member # 21654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxxheatherxxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
personally, i like the word, but i realize and accept that most people dont. if a guy was talking dirty to me and used it i would honestly like it, but i wouldnt probably initiate using that word cuz most people seem to be offended by it. i dunno, to me words are just sounds but its the context you use them in that can be offensive.
Posts: 29 | From: anaheim | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairywings
Neophyte
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fairywings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i love the vagina monologues! (when i saw it and the woman started making all the different orgasm sounds i was dying! i tried to explain it to my mom, she didn't really get it...)

i still take cunt as an offensive word, from most people. it's probably because i was called a "little f***ing cunt" by someone that really shouldn't have said that to me. now, whenever i hear it, i am reminded of that situation and anger, pain and hatred, not female anatomy. i would love if it were reclaimed though.

i prefer to say vagina, labia, pussy or clit when talking about my body. i have a thing for those "medical" terms. when i have cramps, i say my uterus is imploding. (i know its not actually..) they sound so funny and clean.

Posts: 26 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MomOfTeenDaughter
Neophyte
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MomOfTeenDaughter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 32y/o of course way back when :-) I was taught that talking about IT at all was dirty. My best friend of 20+ years and I call it a coochie a clit is a button and a guys is a thing LOL.
Posts: 4 | From: Louisville, Ky, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kyrie
Neophyte
Member # 24872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kyrie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't refer to that anymore as I have grown customed to "vagina" and
"pussy".

Honestly, I find the word pussy to be more offensive than the c-word. Pussy altogether makes me cringe and wish to hate my genitalia, which I don't. The c-word is a beautiful word, four letters with a crisp, clean sound to them. Whereas "pussy" sounds like someone is just assuming that the female in question is just seen as a slab of steak, which infact they're are not.

Vagina, doesn't refer to the whole beauty of the female genitalia, it only points out the birth canal. Labia, and other such things point out specifics, but not the female genitalia as a whole.

If someone hauls a c-word insult at a female, they should just smile and ignore it, it shouldn't bring them shame. Especially since it's apart of them, who they are, and they should be "cuntlovin' women", a favored phrase from Inga.

------------------
"We stand now where two roads diverge. But unlike the roads in Robert Frost's familiar poem, they are not equally fair. The road we have long been traveling is deceptively easy, a smooth superhighway on which we progress with great speed, but at its end lies disaster. The other fork of the roadthe one "less traveled by"offers our last, our only chance to reach a destination that assures the preservation of the earth."
Rachel Carson

Posts: 5 | From: Massachusetts//U.S.A | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year when we were working on group projects in English, the guys in my class ran around trying to get girls to say penis, vagina, clitoris, etc. I found it interesting how uncomfortable some people were saying them. I'm comfortable with most of the medical terms for genitalia, but a lot of the slang words wierd me out. Not because of what they mean necessarily, they just sound odd. I have issues with the abbreviation 'clit' because it reminds me of cow hooves... The same is true for c*** except it reminds me of knives. I have not the faintest idea why I make these random connections, but I do. I make them for a variety of other slang words as well, but clit and c*** were the first that came to mind.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solecita58
Neophyte
Member # 25329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for solecita58     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few pages back, someone mentioned "balls" is used for someone who is courageous.
Well, in my Women's History Class, my teacher started using the phrase "that took ovaries!". Since then, other kids from the class have used it. Of course, it takes a little time for other people to get it, but it's fun. Now sometimes I uses "balls" for boys with courage, and "ovaries" for girls. It only seems fair.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ceresbaistat
Activist
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ceresbaistat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little, I was taught to call that entire area my "chickey." Now I just use whichever term comes to mind.
Posts: 52 | From: Seabrook, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sayna
Neophyte
Member # 28026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sayna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People almost never use the word cunt. But we throw around dick, ****, and prick all the time. That kind of upsets me. I think it's wrong to use one sex's genitals as an insult all the time and then get upset when somebody uses's the other sex's genitals as an insult.
Posts: 22 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.