Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » success for german sex workers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: success for german sex workers
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out this newsbit on another round of landmark lawmaking in Germany (remember that since August 1st, we have registered same-sex partnerships over her), seems like my country is indeed heading into a definite liberal direction!

New German Law to Boost Rights for Prostitutes

quote:

(Reuters) - Germany passed a landmark bill on Friday to boost the low legal standing of prostitutes and give sex workers the right to unemployment benefit, retraining, health insurance and a pension.

Sex workers will be legally entitled to turn away customers, refuse to perform certain sex acts and take disputes with clients over payment to court under the bill passed by the Bundestag lower house of parliament.

``Prostitutes' services are used around 1.2 million times a day. Prostitution may be seen as immoral -- but it is clearly in big demand,'' Christine Bergmann, Minister for Family, Seniors, Women and Young People, said in a statement.

Prostitution is not illegal in Germany and sex workers pay tax on their earnings, but sexual services were previously described as ``immoral'' in the German legal code.

The bill, which still needs the approval of the upper house of parliament or Bundesrat, means prostitution can no longer be described as ``immoral'' and sex workers can sue if they feel mistreated.

Andrea Petsch, a spokeswoman for the sex worker lobby group Hydra, said the new plans were a good start.

``It's a step in the right direction. We still need some kind of work permit for immigrant prostitutes, who make up nearly half of the 400,000 prostitutes in Germany,'' she said.

``We welcome that prostitution is no longer listed as immoral, that prostitutes can sue over pay and qualify for social insurance. Long-term it might change people's views. But that will take a very long time,'' Petsch said.

Germany has a liberal attitude to sexual mores. Red light districts in areas such as the Reeperbahn in Hamburg and other German cities are tolerated by local authorities, although there was little legal protection for the sex workers themselves.

``We've had a double-morality about prostitution for decades. This law means prostitutes get better social and legal protection. Longer term, they have better chances to get out of the profession,'' Bergmann said.

``The law is a successful balance: the legal discrimination against prostitutes is lifted, but clients and brothel-owners do not have a better legal position,'' Bergmann said.

The bill was introduced by the ruling Social Democrats and their Greens coalition allies. In the vote, it was also backed by the liberal FDP and the reform Communist PDS and was opposed only by the conservative opposition.

``The law allows for real contracts with brothel-owners. which contain the usual duties for employers. This closes the door on exploitation,'' commentator Dagmar Borchert wrote on the women's issues portal of the Meome Web site.

While the law gives prostitution many of the rights of regular employment, the government insisted it was not elevating prostitution to the status of a ``normal'' job.

I personally think its's been long overdue to give more rights for sex-workers while trying to ensure that exploitation is prevented and also keeping forced prostitution illegal. In my opinion, this new german bill sends the strong message that sex work is "real" work, that sex workers hence deserve the same rights as people in other businesses, and that it is indeed a job many people freely choose to take up. A great step into the right direction, this bill.

So what's your view on this? Do you think a similar law might or should be passed in your country or state?

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anything like that is going to be passed over here, since everyone is so busy stripping away privacy with preventing terrorism as their excuse. I still believe that the best way to prevent terrorism is to not be arrogant jerks just because we're the world's only superpower.

Anyway, I think the bill is a good thing. If someone believes something is immoral, that is not justification for forcing that viewpoint into law.

------------------
Sapphire Cat
You can love me or hate me, but it won't change who I am.

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is exactly how to deal with sexual exploitation! Naturally, we still have to see whether it works but this is exactly what all governments should be doing. Completely bring prostitution into legality so that it can be protected by the law. Our government hasn't done anything in all its 4 years in power that could be considered as close to being that useful in any of its legislation.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds just great. That should've been instored quite a long time ago.

Sex work has always existed so I guess these people deserve the same rights as other workers.

I'm not sure if such thing exists here in Canada, but if it doesn't, it should. It's a great way to show people that these workers can't be exploited in any way. I can't do anything else but agree.

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.