Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Sex and Religion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex and Religion
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite interested in religion, and I assume that among the users here at Scarleteen there are many different religions. I would like to know the different religion's view on sex. Is it something holy? Something to be done only when married? Is it encouraged? Being non-religious, I'm very curious as to what other people's beliefs are. Please tell me not just what your religion says about it, but what you think as well...

thanx so much
~~CAT~~

------------------
So you call this your free country?
Tell me why it costs so much to live.--3 Doors Down

I could never, ever be seen dead in your shoes, because you always wear ugly shoes. --Thabo Mbeki

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Christian (Anglican), but I'm not in the habit of going to church every week.

My religion says no sex before marriage pretty much, but it's still more open then the catholic church. It also seems to be more accepting about gays & lesbians.

Personally, I believe that sex should mean something to both people involved. I also think that it should be primarily about love between two people, not necessarily a man and a woman.

Hugs & Scully,
Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 12 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Muslim and from what I know, sex before marriage is not encouraged and isn't just there for procreation but recreation too.

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most forms of Buddhism not only do not HAVE marriage rites, sex is considered a normal, natural part of life for people of all persuasions. The sex/marraige bit really doesn't come into play because it is a non-issue.

However, one of the main tenets of Buddhism is practicing sex mindfully and compassionately. That basically means that using sex as emotional blackmail, or involving a partner just to get you off, or having a sex life which harms you or others are things to avoid.

Obviously, what is mindful and compassionate is open to interpretation, but personally, I'd include things which are not ethical as transmitting disease irresponsibly or knowingly, not taking care of your body or your partners bodies, having nonconsensual sex, doing things to yourself or others which you know you or they can't handle physically or emotionally, or procreating in such a way that you cannot care for your children or yourself.

In much of Paganism, the tradition I spent much of my life in, sex is considered a sacred act, and something which is natrual and aa great channeler of energy.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll add to what Heather said about Buddhism. We practice different kinds of Buddhism, but many of the ideas are the same. Buddhism is a religion that is meant to be incorporated into your local customs and cuture. As a guide to all aspects of your life, Buddhism sometimes doesn't stand alone too well.

My branch of Buddhism has the Five Precepts (analogous to the Ten Commandments). Number three says that a person shall never use sex to do harm or betray another person. One could interpret this to mean that adultery and rape are not welcome. One can also add that there are no specific admonishments against homosexuality, therefore it must be okay as far as Buddhism is concerned.

In the olden days, the third precept had another facet, though. It was a clause that meant that a man could not piss off his enemies by besmirching their daughters (by having sex with the girls, he could ruin their chances of bringing in a good bride-price, which is like a dowry in reverse). yeah, that's complicated, but apparently it must have come up at least once 'cause it's been mentioned as an example.

------------------
Living proof that it's hip to be square .

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Catholic, and as far as I know, the Catholic Church is very against premarital sex, sex for reasons other than procreation, and homosexuals. Talks about "saving yourself for the one God has saved for you" seem to be very popular at my place of worship, but I very much dislike the Church's stance on reproductive issues and gays/lesbians. Reason #59 why I've been questioning my religion lately! :-) Hope this helped.

------------------
"Do what you will, always..
Walk where you like, your steps...
Do as you please,
I'll back you up.." ~DMB

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maharet
Activist
Member # 3806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maharet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Wiccan (ie Pagan), and we view sex and sexuality as sacred. The Charge of the Goddess reads something like "All acts of pleasure are my rituals". I know some Wiccans have added "responsible acts" in there but to me that seems unnecessary: any act that manipulates or harms someone is totally un-sacred.

We go by the rule of "If it harms none (including yourself) do what u will" and masturbating, having sex before marriage and having same-sex sex does not automatically harm someone. I'm also yet to hear of a Wiccan group that refuses to handfast (ie marry) a same-sex couple. (A handfasting, unless done by a registered celebrant, is not a 'legal' wedding btw).

Posts: 66 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an atheist, which is not a religion, and atheist's views on sex differ widely- we all decide for ourselves. Personally, the Wiccan and Buddhist views on sex seem to be pretty close to the way that I feel about it.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im a (partly agnostic) Liberal Jew and it seems a pity that my religion was the first known one to start discriminating against homosexuals (due to the be fruitful laws). Well Liberal Judaism is far more accepting of homosexuals and sex before marriage. I therefore do not find my religion to be all that much at odds with my other beliefs. I dont believe in organised religion (rather dangerous) and I cant tell you how badly organised mine is so that is a bonus.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Christian, specifically Episcopalian, so according to my religion, sex is only "good" if it's done for procreation.

I'm not sure what my views are on the subject (I'd have to think for a while), but I definitely believe that my girlfriend's sister getting pregnant at 12 was wrong.

------------------
Sapphire Cat
You can love me or hate me, but it won't change who I am.

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wiccan too. Ok, so I agree with what the other wiccans have said. But once I met some homophobic wiccans. That was pretty scary. I was in upstate NY, rural middle of nowhere. I was feeling very isolated because it seemed that everyone around me was straight, christian, and very mainstream. When my father told me that he found an occult store driving around Monticello, I was very pleasantly surprised. So my parents took me there. They chatted with the store owners (my parents are Jewish, and had no interest in the store) while I browsed. Somehow, my parents got onto the topic of all the new people moving into town. Then the man who worked there said something like, "Oh yeah. Lots of [derrogatory term for gay people] moving into town these days. It's terrible." And then my mother, because she's been paying attention, said, "But don't witches think it's okay to be gay?" And he said, "Oh no. That's unnatural. If the God and the Goddess meant for men to be with men, then animals would do it too. It's just not the natural order of things intended by the universe." We jetted from the store. Oy, only in Monticello have I ever found homophobic wiccans.

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought those wiccans would be more observant of the natural world. There is strong evidence of homosexuality or altleast homo-eroticism in animals (well to the extent that they have those feelings).

Edit [additional side ways point]: I wonder if you get homophobic animals

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

[This message has been edited by Confused boy (edited 10-21-2001).]

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
semicolon
Neophyte
Member # 5658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for semicolon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am part of the Catholic faith and have gone to catholic grade school and just started catholic high school. I am gay, so it really places large amounts of stress on me when my own religion looks at me as some kind of diseased thinker. The catholic faith is very strict on matters like this, but I can't say I can always agree with them. Catholic schools, especially same-sex, are harsh places for homosexuals.

As for views on sex, everyone else has pretty much summed up the catholic view of it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Jewish, but not terribly religious. From what I know of the Jewish opinion on sex, they see it as sort of an expression of love and respect. There is a lot of emphasis on enjoyment of sex, actually. I'm not sure what exactly their opinions are on homosexuals/bisexuals, and I know they don't particulary approve of premarital sex, but I'm sure God agrees with me here: if that's what makes you happy, so be it!

Hanne (Everyone's favorite Jewish Sexpert, LOL) wrote a great article on "kosher sex": http://www.scarleteen.com/politics/kosher.html

------------------
"I talked for hours to your wallet photograph
And you just listened.
You laughed, enchanted by my intellect...
Or maybe, you didn't."

The All-New Only In Dreams Blog!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sapphirecat:
I'm Christian, specifically Episcopalian, so according to my religion, sex is only "good" if it's done for procreation.

I'm Episcopalian, but my church is very liberal. They've never said one bad thing about homosexuals, and as far as I know, sex is for recreation too.

------------------
Art is why I get up in the morning, but my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair, that I'm living for something I can't even define" - Ani D.

Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistress_monkey
Activist
Member # 7467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mistress_monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a discordian, and pretty much everything goes. anything that promotes chaos and fun(and sex can certainly count as a chaotic and fun act) is a-okay.

p.s...if you don't know what discordianism is, see my post in "Village People"

------------------
Hail Eris! KaAAIXTI! All hail Discordia! 23 Skidoo!

"If you're going to be a non-conformist, you're going to have to wear the uniform."

"Faeries are only friendly until you steal their magical amulet."

"In retrospect, I guess we resorted to cannibalism a bit early."

Posts: 158 | From: grrrrr, nowhere, usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackRoseFaery:
I'm Episcopalian, but my church is very liberal. They've never said one bad thing about homosexuals, and as far as I know, sex is for recreation too.

That's interesting. If I remember correctly, the justification for my church's viewpoint was that sex is God's gift, and therefore it shouldn't be abused. But depending on what you think of as "abuse", it can really go either way from that....

------------------
Sapphire Cat
A matriarchy is as incomplete as a patriarchy.
Artist, poet, programmer, dreamer, and crossdressing bondage kitty

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStar
Neophyte
Member # 8725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RavenStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm a Satanist to begin with. My religion's views on sex are that if it feels good and doesnt harm others there is nothing wrong with it. Some Satanists may still wait until marrage ar whatever but that is there own choice. My religion does not view homosexuality as unnatural either. I believe that people are pretty much born gay or straigh so being homosexual is just as natural as being straight. To tell you the truth, I think the "you have to be 16 to have sex" thing is bullshit. I think(just like animals) that when a human reaches sexual maturity they are phisically ready to have sex. They may not be emotionally ready but the choice should be theirs. Not someone who has no idea what they feel.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.