Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » The ethical dilemma of the day...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The ethical dilemma of the day...
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much is being made these days, of stem cell research.

For those who don't know, basically it is the process of creating life (in the form of embryos) simply for the purpose of destroying it, and "harvesting" cells from it that are valuable for research purposes.

This is dividing many pro-lifers in the United States, where the President is soon to make a decision on whether to offer federal funds for research in this area. Some argue that the most pro-life position you can take is against the funding, because the research promotes a culture of death. Others, meanwhile, say that if the research extends human lives in the long run, then pro-lifers ought to be in favour of the research.

Personally, I think the Onion hit the nail on the head with its "What do you think?" feature this week. In it, a woman who is asked about the controversy replies:"Only the scientists would go to hell, right? Then let them find a cure for cancer and we'll keep dutifully opposing their actions."

I'm in favour of all of it. I think that human lives are simply more important then the lives of four-day-old blobs. Call me cruel.

How do you feel?

------------------
"...we're all thinking the same thing/let's not settle for satisfaction/we are women and men of action/let's stop clapping let's start doing/a dream for the teens and in-betweens and twenties yet unseen"
-Braid

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very much in favor of stem cell research. Many of the embryos are "extras" created for in vitro fertilization which would never become babies anyways. There is some research however that can be done avioding the subject altogether. Stem cells are also present in umbilical chords and this is a promisinag area of exploration. Certianly using the results from abortions, which would otherwise be just flushed down the drain, to save the life, or dramaticly improve the life of another, provides more meaning to those proto lives than just throwing them away.
Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heehee, the Onion makes a good point, as usual I don't know too much about it, but from Dzuun's post I'd say that I'm for it. As long as they're not letting the embryos get too advanced then I think it's great that we've come this far in our reasearch (stem cell research and glowing monkeys, wow!).

I'm the kind of person that thinks if one person's death can save human kind then it's an option to be considered. The only thing I cna do is relate it to my own life. I had a cousin who was mentally retarded. He was actually really really smart (he succesfully planned and carried out the theft of the contents of the narcotics safe at one hospital he was at), but he was retarded, and no one could figure it out. He died when he was 18, and you know what? Right now his brain is in some doctors hands and they're trying to figure it out. There are other kids like him, and his death can help save other families from heartache. And that's something that I think is really great, although sad.

If I can accept the death of my cousin, I can accept the killing of these blobs. Because those blobs might save my kid's life some day.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be just slightly divided on this issue, but after some research (and the fact that it might have an effect on my life), I've come to the conclusion that it's ok. Some of the stem cell research they're doing just might provide my sister with a much better chance to keep her eye...so how can I be against something like that?

I just see it as something that might help so many people.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!"

"Remember, I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together!"

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the other day that paralyzed rats treated with stem cells could walk again, and babies with brain damage in utero can be made 'better' again with the help of stem cell research. That's just the coolest thing ever.
So I'm all for it.

------------------
How can you not like muffins?!

Out of my Head.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we have an obligation to protect the already free-living, and if my uncle or something was paralyzed, or had Alzheimers, or Parkinsons, or whatever, I would favor saving his life over saving the life of a bundle of non-specific cells.

One example for the justification of this:

For most pro-lifers, if a woman is pregnant, she should not have an abortion unless it endangers her own life to have a child, then it is justified to end the potential-child's potential-life. So, in essence, the life of the already-living is more important than the life of the potential human being.

I see this in the same way. The life of someone with a fatal or dibilitating disease is more important than that of a couple of cells.

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That waas excellently said, Morgan.

For a long time, I just didn't know what I thought about this, and felt almost ambivalent about it, especially given how much medical testing is done on aminals who are already well into their lives (and in general, I'm not real fond of that practice). It seemed like a bit of a no-brainer.

But at this point, I think it's a good idea, dependent on the sort of costs involved, and what it is used for. In other words, if it isn't revlevant to the diseases that most plague us (including AIDS), or gets politicized so that it is only uysed for "socially acceptable" diseases, and thus may take funds away from other research, I'd not be so much in favor. If that wasn't the case, I think it's something that shows a whole lot of promise without doing any harm whatsoever.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iluvpunkguys
Neophyte
Member # 4885

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Iluvpunkguys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a pro-choice person myself, I would totally support the harvesting of blobs. They can't think or feel anything for themselves and if it saves lives I'm all for it.

Ashley

------------------
"I said I'll thank you, we'll always thank you, more than you will know, than I could ever show, and I love you, we'll always love you, there's nothing I won't do, to say these words to you. That you're beautiful forever."

"You go out on Friday night, I'll stay in but that's alright cuz I have found a clique to call my own."

Posts: 24 | From: Scottsdale, AZ, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As one who is personally effected by this type of research, i have to say i'm all for it.

They're using stem cells to try and cure my disease, so really, i have to say i'm glad that they're doing it. I have diabetes, and they're coming so close to finding cures, and i think it's great to hear about stuff like this.

------------------
...Everybody knows what a store-bought sweater looks like. But man, when you see a home-knitter on the street, it's obvoius, you know?"
-Hawksley Workman

------------------------
"You already know at least 4 women who've been raped...and you don't even know it."

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.