Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Interesting show....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting show....
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching this show called "W5" on a winnipeg channel, so i'm not sure how many people could've seen this.

They were doing a story on some places that were supposedly support for women who had unwanted pregnancies. They did an interview with a girl who went there and the people ended up telling all these lies and false facts and really scared to girl, who in the first place, wanted an abortion. By the time she had made a final decision it was too late for her to legaly get one, but because she was suicidal found someone to do one for her.

Now, the scary thing is, all these clinics (i'm sorry, i forget the name, carenet i think it was) are pro-life, but they don't tell you this. They went undercover and a woman said to the undercover girl, "your not getting rid of a pregnancy, you're becoming the mother of a dead child." The undercover woman was also also shown a video of an abortion procedure not even performed in canada and told lies about how they did and statistics that were wrong.

They really didin't have much to say in their defence and it really freaked me out that there are places like this around.

So, i guess i just wanted to know what everyone's views on this kinda stuff was.

------------------
...Everybody knows what a store-bought sweater looks like. But man, when you see a home-knitter on the street, it's obvoius, you know?"
-Hawksley Workman

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Daisy,

Check out Anti-Abortion Counseling Centers: A Consumer's Alert to Deception, Harassment, and Medical Malpractice for more on the issue.

When I first read about these clinics, I was shocked - how can someone pretend to offer help to women in a dire situation and then deceive them? I really can not say more to that, I just find it very outraging.

Thankfully, there are things one can do to make sure one does not end up in a false clinic:

PlannedParenthood (in the above linked article) recommends:

quote:
How to Locate Professional
Pregnancy Counseling Centers

If you are seeking counseling to decide whether or not to continue an unintended or problematic pregnancy, you have a right to expect compassionate, competent, professional guidance complete in its review of all available options so that you can make the right choice for yourself. The following guidelines can help you locate the most thorough and complete counseling services:

Select clinics and pregnancy counseling centers that have clearly established reputations. Avoid centers with ambiguous names or descriptions. Ask friends or relatives you trust!

Select clinics that provide the full range of contraceptive alternatives. Avoid clinics whose staff do not provide full, clear answers regarding their services. In particular, ask on the phone if they provide or refer for abortion services, and avoid clinics that refuse to give a straightforward answer.

Select clinics that have or are supervised by physicians, nurse practitioners, or other licensed health practitioners.

For information about whether a particular facility will give you complete information about your options, and for reliable referrals to clinics and pregnancy counseling centers, call:

The Planned Parenthood affiliate listed in your local telephone directory (or call 800/230-PLAN), and/or
The National Abortion Federation's tollfree Consumer Hotline: (800) 772-9l00 or in Canada (800) 424-2280, or in Washington, D. C., 667-5881 weekdays, 9:30 5:30 Eastern Time.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GAH, that's terrifying. Shouldn't that be illegal or something? At least for false advertising. Yikes, that's scary.

The poor girls who go there looking for abortion counseling. I have to go have a long talk with the demi-goddess of blueberries about this.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, we used to have an article up on this, but I got SO much hate mail from it that I took it down.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an aside, Celtic Daisy, W5 is broadcast across Canada on the CTV network. For you Yanks, it's a 60-minutes-type show.
Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that happened to my roomate in college and it totally ripped her apart. she had already seen a school counsuler etc and gone over all the options and seen a dr (she was having health problems w/ the pregnancy). she still went through with having an abortion but had a much harder time emotionally than she would of otherwise. i almost got myself arrested warning women quietly outside of the clinic about their harrasment - apparently i got too close to the building and they tried to get me on tresspassing, but the cop who showed up was a pro-choice woman so i didn't get into trouble, i just had to go away. i think this kind of thing really stinks, and there needs to be more information/warnings available to the general public about such h fradulent practices.
'rin

------------------
"-and i hope i'm not shooting my mouth off...again...and i pray i'm not tempting the fates....."
-james, off millionaires

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came up with an interesting point on this. You lot are complaining about these anti-abortion places masquerading as pregnancy help cliniques. But could the organisation you support be also guilty of "false advertisng"? I am referring to Planned Parenthood. Now isn't that name a bit euphemistic, carefully avoiding the fact that it supports abortions. It is sort of saying it supports families being made in an organised way but it omits what they think should be done with unwanted potential families. It seems that this whole area of clinical work is clouded with mis-informing names due to the politics surrounding it.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But confused boy, PP actually offers other options for you, and they don't tell you lies either. They tell you facts and they tell you how procedures are performed and they give your information on your other options. I don't think the kind of clinics on the show and PP have much in common.

------------------
...Everybody knows what a store-bought sweater looks like. But man, when you see a home-knitter on the street, it's obvoius, you know?"
-Hawksley Workman

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I am not saying they are similiar in what they do. I support Planned Parenthood. All I am saying is the name itself is slightly misleading. It is deliberately vague like the other names so it can avoid bad publicity. I mean your hardly gonna get a clinic called a "Support for Conduction of Fully Considered Abortions" are you? Infact, sticking abortion in the name is a death wish. All I am saying is you can complain or you like about these clinics but you cant say they are advertising their services falsely. Because Planned Parenthood is in a similiar game on that count.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.