Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Transgender Marriages...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Transgender Marriages...
JunkiePanda
Activist
Member # 4006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkiePanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was going to put in gender issues...but decided marriage = legality =politics

are transgendered/transexed marriages legal? is there any legislation concerning them?

[This message has been edited by JunkiePanda (edited 06-28-2001).]

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've looked quite a bit for the information you want JunkiePanda, but I've come up pretty empty. The best guess (and it is only that) that I can offer, is that whatever gender someone is at a given moment (legally, that is) probably determines who they are elligible to marry.

Sorry I can't do any better...

------------------
"...we're all thinking the same thing/let's not settle for satisfaction/we are women and men of action/let's stop clapping let's start doing/a dream for the teens and in-betweens and twenties yet unseen"
-Braid

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dunno about other places but in the us transgendered indivituals are unable to change their passports (or at least they were a few years ago when i took a class on gender issues) to reflect their new genders, and since the gender on your passport is your legal gender i think there may be some problems. i think that a transgendered person's best bet would be a state that allowed gay marriages and other ceremonies where the genders of the people becomming life partners (for lack of a better word) is a non issue.
*goes off web searching for a better answer*
'rin

------------------
"-and i hope i'm not shooting my mouth off...again...and i pray i'm not tempting the fates....."
-james, off millionaires

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, as far as I know, Dzuunmod is correct. It depends on what sex you are when you marry. My parents got married when my dad was a man, but now she's not and my parents are still married. I'm not sure if it's legal anymore, but my dad still gets covered on my mom's insurance... I don't think even they know where they stand. Census forms become difficult to complete. Sorry for my uncertain answer.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over here in Germany, the deal is this (looking into this was very interesting, btw):

The "Transsexuellen Gesetz" (TSG) from 1980 determines how things work over here in Germany (there is no appropriate german equivalent for "transgendered" that's why "transsexuals" is used).

The TSG offers two things to someone who is transgendered

• a name change, and
  • the change of your sex as it is registered in the register of births, deaths and marriages.

A name change can happen when the transgendered person

• is German (or has valid asylum over here),
  • has lived as a member of the gender that (s)he identifies with for the past three years, and
  • when it is not to be expected that the feeling of identification with the desired gender will change.

The 3 year time frame and the identification with the desired gender thing need to be certified by two independent therapista or counsellors who need to be experienced in transgender issues.

Changing your sex as it is registered in addition to all that is necessary for a name change also requires that the transgendered person

• is not currently married (to prevent that two women or men are legally married);
  • has had gender reassignment surgery, and
  • is hence permanently sterile (to prevent that a ftm transgendered man who is registered as a man suddenly gets pregnant, for example).

A change in your registered sex does not influence the relationship with children, parents or other relatives in any way. Once your gender has been changed in the register, people are seen before the law as members of the one sex they have chosen and can hence marry or adopt, for example.

The TSG, while is was one of the first of it's kind in central Europe, is not liked very much in the transgendered community here in Germany, as it does not enable people who opt against complete reassignment surgery to change their registered sex.

Considering that we will get same sex "registered partnerships" within the next few weeks (if everything goes well, on August 1st), that problem will disappear though (a mtf transgendered man who opts against full surgery could marry a man under the new registered partnership law) or the TSG would need to be reviewed to adapt it to the new law.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 07-02-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In England, your legal sex is what your birth certificate says it is, and that can't be changed (even if a doctor screwed up), so no, you can't marry anyone who's legally the same sex. I believe it's the same in Canada and the US.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.