Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » age of consent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: age of consent
curiousityrules
Neophyte
Member # 3614

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curiousityrules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the age of consent in Illinois is 17
Does this mean, since I'm 18, I can't have sex with girls under 17, or that I can't do anything sexual with them if they're under 17? This law is a little confusing - just want to clear it up cause i'm dating a 15 year old

------------------

Posts: 9 | From: Pondering, IL | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
x

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 09-25-2002).]

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Dan . . . what's the law in California? I know that the age of consent there is 18, which really annoys me. It's 17 in New York, and I'm turning 17 this summer. So even once I turn the age of consent in my state, it will still be illegal for another nine days for me to have sex with anyone older than me! So in California, is oral and manual sex also illegal, in addition to intercourse? Are the rules any different for same sex couplings(I hope not!)? And as the younger person here . . . I know that I certainly would never press charges on AOC, and I'll be staying with my aunts who would never do that, so does that mean I still have to worry? Like if some other third party found out that I was having sex with someone over 18, could they report it? I hate AOC laws! Ick, ick, ick . . . as far as I'm concerned, I've been capable of consenting since I was about thirteen.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the California Age of Consent is 18. Manual sex, oral sex, sexual intercourse are all prohibited by law...and it gets worse. We have this penal code section (647.6 PC) called "Child Annoying" which is so broad that it can be used when an adult writes a sexually-charged letter to a minor, or makes a sexual comment to a minor in the presence of someone who reports it to authorities. I have seen it used in my area when a 19-year-old female babysitter wrote sexual letters to a 14-year-old boy she babysat for. The 14-year-old's next door neighbor found out and called authorities, and the female was arrested and charged with child annoying under section 647.6 of the CA Penal Code. It is still in trial now.

The rules don't distinguish between same and opposite sex relationships. Unfortunately, third parties can report "unlawful sexual relations" between a minor and an adult, and police are mandated to investigate. So it is definitely a risk.

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 09-26-2002).]

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
Neophyte
Member # 4007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aaron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Age of Consent" is a very controversial topic.

Each state has it's own standard that the courts set. If you wish to know the current laws in your community, I would suggest http://www.ageofconsent.com/ The applicable written laws are linked to the state name.

I would like to mention this about California though as I think it defines current social attitude regarding minor sex of any kind (case is about a 16yo boy and his 14yo girlfriend):

In re T.A.J. (1998) 62 Cal.App.4th 1350 [73 Cal.Rptr.331]. Court of Appeal, First District, Division 2. It states:

First, the court held that American Academy of Pediatrics v. Lungren (1997) 16 Cal.4th 307, did not confer upon children the right to engage in consensual sexual intercourse. "While we do not ignore the reality that many California teenagers are sexually active, that fact alone does not establish that minors have a right to privacy to engage in sexual intercourse. We accept the premise that due to age and immaturity, minors often lack the ability to make fully informed choices that take account of both immediate and long-range consequences."

link to the full text: http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/programs/childrenandthecourts/case_law/delinque/delinquency-13.htm

~Aaron

------------------
Some would call me a rebel, but I am just no good at it... I can't seem to conform to that image.

Recently I signed up for a self-help course in procrastination... but I haven't attended yet. The introduction meeting keeps getting rescheduled.

Received a fortune in a cookie once. It read: "Those who are dropped on their heads are doomed to wander their lives in a state of confusion." I am still working to figure that one out.

Posts: 11 | From: Saginaw, MI, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woah! Does that mean that if I need sexual healthcare in CA (I'm 16) that I can't get it without parental consent?

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
Neophyte
Member # 4007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aaron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PoetgirlNY,

Didn't mean to scare you. No that doesn't mean you won't receive healthcare (of any kind). The above laws only pertain to sexual acivity and, not healthcare.

The laws and ordinances regarding minor healthcare vary from county to county, even within the same state sometimes. My advice is that if you have a concern, ask questions before you schedule a visit.

PLEASE NOTE - TO ALL READERS - A BLATANT SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE: A fear of discovery of sexual activity is not an excuse to neglect taking care of your body. In fact, in my opinion, there IS no valid excuse. Your body is only yours once.

~Aaron

Posts: 11 | From: Saginaw, MI, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Poetgirl, you need not worry about sexual health care as a minor while in CA.

Aaron, in the state of California we do not have a county-to-county variance in the requirements for sexual healthcare. Minors are capable of receiving appropriate care at their discretion, and parents do not need to be notified for normal gynecological visits.

Aaron
Neophyte
Member # 4007

BruinDan,

Thanks for the info :~) In hindsite I guess I should have put "can vary..." in that post and specified that it wasn't CA that I was talking about specifically. Sorry for the confusion.

Aaron

PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Whew! I just read the link that you gave and got all confused. Legal text is way too difficult for me to deal with.

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron:
BruinDan,

Thanks for the info :~) In hindsite I guess I should have put "can vary..." in that post and specified that it wasn't CA that I was talking about specifically. Sorry for the confusion.

No problem!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.