Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Sexual bill of rights

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sexual bill of rights
silver snatch
Neophyte
Member # 3598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silver snatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If state legislatures or Congress were to pass a sexual bill of rights, including rights for minors, what would you include?

I think a good starting point for it would be the right to comprehensive, non-discriminatory (to girls and sexual minorities) sexuality education without parental approval.

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Free safer sex supplies for all! The right not to be sexually abused or assaulted. Reasonable age of consent laws that don't prohibit a 17 year old and an 18 year old from having sex. Something with more of a range.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd actually vote for getting rid of the AOC altogether.

Rape is rape is rape. And sex without consent is rape -- regardless of age -- and should be prosecuted as such. The fact that "child molestation" is treated more seriously than rape is horrendous, as is the fact that molestation isn't legally considered rape, which it should be.

I'd also like to see remaining laws against consensual sexual activities taken off the books for good.

And it'd sure be nice if men were given specialized sexual health care that is as freely available as that for women.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a number of "age of consent" type laws in North America. There is the age when one is able to acquire a driver's licence, the age when one can legally contract debt (e.g. credit cards}, the age when one can legally consume beverage alcohol, the age when one can vote. Note: these laws differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

However, the idea behind these laws is that there is an age before which a person is incapable of giving knowing consent. These laws are intended to protect both the individual and society. Do we really want an 11-year-old to legally drive 2 tonnes of steel and rubber? We can say that everyone matures at a different rate. But could a maturity test be devised to grant a credit card? The "age of consent" is an arbitrary boundary. But it is one that lets large groups (300 million) in North America know where thay stand.

Without an age of consent, could someone convict me of sexual assault for having sex with a 25-year-old woman for whom it could be claimed that she wasn't mature enough to make an informed consent? Conversely, could I have sex with an 8-year-old girl ("8 is too late!") and defend my actions maintaining that the girl gave informed consent?

It's because of these grey borders that arbitrary standards are imposed. I think that we would be poorer without them.

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 05-11-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the point of getting rid or changing age of consent laws is NOT so people can have sex with children. Its so that it isnt considered a criminal act if you have sex with someone who is a minor age difference, but still on the other side of that magic line. It isnt fair that a couple who is 17 and 18 cannot have legal sex. I think they should have a flat out age that is younger then 18 (i would like 15 or 16) and then maybe a two year rule. I mean two year rule like you have to be between one year of each other or something untill you are 18. So a 16 year old can be with an 18 year old, and a 17 year old can be with a 19 year old.

That is what i would like in a sexual bill of right. More flexibility, but still making it easy to carry out.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The right to sexual privacy
The right to sex education

the age thing is hard to figure out, because i know that kids who are super young, just will do almost anything you tell them is good or will make you happy, and like them. But when is the age at which you can say everyone is a the point were they can truly say that they are having sex, to please themselve, not to gain brownie points? becuse to me thats basically what non-violent childmolestation is, a person, trying to apease another person, and not really thinking about what makes them happy, as long as they get that pat on the back, or that smile.

Posts: 162 | From: NYC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(And yet, Duff, there are many, many adults who behave sexually in the exact same way.)
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am heartily, heartily behind the sexual privacy bill. In my opinion, only my doctor and my partner (obviously) need to know. No fourth parties.
Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, thinking about this further . . . we should just inflict Scarleteen rules on the world! You should have to pass the sex readiness checklist before legally being allowed to have sex. Although I don't know how that could be enforced.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.