Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » On moral value judgements

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On moral value judgements
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Literally, the word "morality" or "morals" refers to *any* given code of ethics or ideals. The Latin "mos" -- custom -- is the etymological root of morality. The word moralis is a direct translation of the Greek ethikos or 'ethical,' to define the "typical behaviour of human beings in a society."

Lately, at our boards, I have been seeing the concept used as something which reflects a set of ideals which is fixed. In other words, to reflect 'rights" and 'wrongs" in absolutist terms or sense, when in fact, by its very defintion, "morality" is mutable and entirely subjective, changing from person to person and culture to culture.

I think its important to realize that if any one of us states someone or something is not operating morally, or we judge someones morals to be of a high or low standard, that we are essentially in error, because morality is not an arbitrary set of ethics, so all we truly can say is that according to our OWN ethics or morality (which others may or may not share), someone is operating at a certain level. Too, it's worth bearing in mind simply when thinking about this, that it is fallacious to say at any time that a majority of people in the world are acting "immorally" simply because that stands counter to what morality does actually mean: typical behaviour or ethics.

And that, my friends, is a moral value judgement. And it is not something that we endorse at Scarleteen, nor that I feel is productive or conducive to a sound discussion and a nurturing environment.

So, be sure in discussions like in this area to remember "I" statements, and to remember that it's certainly fine to state that something is or is not right for you, or that you personally do or do not agree with or support something in particular. Remember too that we ARE a very diverse group, from many different cultures, experiences, traidtions, genders and generations.

That is really the only way to intellectually debate something, and to discuss things in such a way that others are not judged or your personal "moral" grounds. This simply is not the place for that sort of thing, and insiting that that sort of approach is not brought here is one of the things that keeps Scarleteen a place where a very diverse group of people can be comfortable and can feel accepted and able to discuss things which may be very personal to them or sensitive.

Just something to think about and bear in mind.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 04-14-2001).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hear Hear.

I certainly hope I have been doing that. If I haven't been, Kitten you have my permission to use your goddess powers and zap me with a lightning bolt.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We hear and obey, Miz S!

I shall make sure the lightening bolts are ready, just in case.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"What is the odds so long as the fire of soul is kindled..."
~Charles Dickens

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you make those bolts? Is it just static off your fur, or do you have something more heavy duty?

I still love the irony of people using Greek or Roman words like ethics or morality...to deride homosexuality or pre-marital sex. I'm still trying to work out which of those cultures was more forward in promoting homosexuality! ;p

------------------
Stuff© - try some today!.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Tis true, it has been suggested that Virgil, author of the epic poem the Aeneid, was gay. Also, very ironically, the Greeks encouraged homosexuality in their armies (rather than sweeping it under the rug in the case of the current armies of the world). This was thought to improve comradeship between the men and make them more willing to die for eachother.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, and if you read "Chronicles of the Barbarians", which has whole texts that Julius Ceaser (the assassinated one) himself wrote translated in english, you'll hear a lot about Roman male soldiers that got quite close. They didn't care for women at all, some of those guys. They hated them as people and they hated them sexually. At least that's what I've read.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downward...

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rdavid
Activist
Member # 3041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdavid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
weird thing about the greeks was, if I remember correctly (and my queer studies professors have certainly been wrong before) it was only *intergenerational* homosexual sex that was okay -- as long as an older guy was the "active partner" and a young guy was the passive one. it was weird, however, if two guys of the same age were goin' at it.

: onder ponder:: I'm sure that's not quite what the "Moral Majority" has in mind...

------------------
r.d.m. * riotboy * http://f0o.org
"and you say i'm just a kitty cat in disguise" -- estrojet

Posts: 47 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good point!

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another reminder from your personal sponsor to PLEASE (please, folks) drop the arbitrary value judgements at the boards.

Can you imagine if I posted something like the following:

"Well, not having sex with anyone who wants it is just WRONG. It's selfish, and if you don't have sex whenever you want to, you obviously aren't respecting your body and its needs. Besides, it's stingy not to have sex all the time. Obviously people who choose not to have sex are really choosing to be disrespectful and immoral. I bet it even makes for more rapes. and sex crimes, and as a victim, you are therefore affecting me."

Or this:

"Well, the world is overpopulated, and kids are starving to death, not getting the education they need, and we can't get enough social services for them all. Therefore, having any children now is morally wrong, and it's basically child torture."

Really, I could go on, and no, I (as should be obvious) don't think those things, however even if I DID, this is not the place for them, and sentiments like those (and their inverse) are not appropriate in a group discussion board whose sole purpose is to offer *support* for all of our users, and to help them make the best choices for THEM.

Think about it, and please bear it in mind. It is getting to the point at times where I am uncomfortable at my own boards, and that just isn't okay.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 04-25-2001).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poor girly...if you ever start to feel uncomfortable, you just run over here and I'll give you a nice, warm hug.

------------------
Bow down before me, for I am Testicles the mighty Greek warrior!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!! Good ... it's Hug an Australian Day anyway

Hmm ... I agree w/ you, Miz S. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it's not fair to push your opinion onto other people ... or make them feel poopy for doing what they feel is right.

------------------

Go LEAFS Go !!

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.