Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Temptation Island

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Temptation Island
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't say much expect "grrrrrrr!". This has only just started screening here.. and I don't know why, but I have strong feelings about what should and shouldn't be on TV. Couples being tempted into cheating on their long term partners for the good of ratings? It's sick. Absolutely sick.

You guys fans? Or do you hate it as much as I do?

entropie

------------------

I have yet to meet a C compiler that is more friendly and easier to use than eating soup with a knife.

The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, to be a ***** to your ratings...

time to turn off the telly. hehehe, i'm watching battlebots, though

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Battlebots! I have to agree that I don't like Temptation Island at all. It just seems very wrong to seperate couples and put them with people who's entire mission is to cause them to break up. Now I know that some people will say that basically that's what the world is like, but I really don't think it's quite that ruthless. Personally I just don't like the show at all, and I wouldn't miss it at all if they took it off the air.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip."
~Jonathan Carroll

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 02-19-2001).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Latest news. Singapore might be bringing it in. I'm still not over the shock.

SoOunds like a cheap attempt to make some bucks but I've always been a sucker for such dumb and trashy shows. So, can't really comment until I have seen it.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started watching the show as research for an article I am writing about exhibitionism, reality TV and webcam sites. My take on it is this:

Since they are not getting paid to be on the show nor is anyone up for a prize, their motives are more personal. I think some of them are doing it help their acting/performing careers or to get publicity for their businesses. I also think they are doing it as way to test themselves. People often do similar things without having to go on TV for the opportunity. The TV production just structures it and heightens the drama.

As an exhibitionist I can relate to the factor of showing it all. Unfortunately, Tempation Island has a high element of risk to it. In recent interviews all of the people from the show said they would never do such a thing again. The exhibitionistic elements combined with the intense sexual atmosphere was not worth any of the emotional pain they suffered.

As for the TV networks place in it, I think it has to do more with ratings and advertising revenue, than giving these couples and singles a place to experiment with and test their romantic and sexual boundaries.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you ever read Arthur C. Clarke's short story "I Remember Babylon"?

If not, go read it.

It's the reason I haven't watched TV since 1986, and the reason that shows like "Temptation Island" don't surprise me one bit. I still find them tasteless and useless. But not surprising or shocking... read the short story and you'll understand why. I think Arthur C. Clarke hit the nail on the head.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, Temptation Island" is brought to us by the same great folks that brought us "Who Wants to Marry a Multimillionaire?"

"Let's put four couples on an island with some bimbos and gigilos and see what happens." What's next? Live gladitorial contests?

I've given up on TV. Don't even want to watch the good stuff any more. Interestingly enough, the Neilsen ratings show that television watching is declining in the U.S. and Canada. I wonder why?

------------------
"A free society is a place where it's safe to be unpopular."

- Adlai Stevenson

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really? That's absolutely wonderful. Maybe our literacy rates will finally go up.

I tell you, there never seems to be a shortage of moments when I'm thankful I was raised sans television and have yet to be indoctrinated into the cult of TV.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Briefly:

I don't think it's "wrong," just stupid. That's why I don't watch it. If someone else thinks their time is cheap enough to spend it on that, that's their decision.

Oh, and entropie, I like "dodgy flatmates" too! ;]
------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

[This message has been edited by lemming (edited 02-20-2001).]

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehe thats my mates from Christchurch.. it's hard to get them on there sometimes, and the streaming video ain't up to scratch.. but I love 'em anyway

Now, for the program. Sick. I just don't understand how a network can make money off the suffering of others like that. It's playing with people's lives.. and it's pretty extreme!

Mind you, I think these people were kidding themselves thinking that their partners wouldn't seize the opportunity to "get some" when given the choice.

I dunno. It just frustrates me that this is what has been resorted to in the ratings drive..

entropie

------------------

I have yet to meet a C compiler that is more friendly and easier to use than eating soup with a knife.

The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched part of it with friends and it actually made me feel ill. I don't understand why anyone would think they could go on and keep their relationship, I know a lot of them are doing it for reasons other than their relationship, but still! SImply by deciding that you wanted to go on the show I would think that that would show that the relationship was strained. I just personally find it disgusting that people would willingly put themselves in such a situation and then have others watch.
Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

OK, then. would anyone here actually consider doing it? If given the opportunity?

entropie

------------------

ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to do it. Let's see... fat chick and her three partners (oo, think they'd let me have all three? i'd probably have to pretend I was monogamous and only sneak on one).

Then at the end.... Oh, I'm sorry, my partner and I were supposed to break up? For the other person? Actually, they've decided to join our harem...

Okay, so it wouldn't work out like that, and since I don't do relationships that way, I wouldn't actually do it cause I'd be miserable (my partners would probably enjoy it.)

But still, I'd love to just subvert from within.

erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, oh Erin!

That is just too cute...now there's a show I actually would be willing to watch!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Reality is nothing but a collective hunch."
~Lily Tomlin

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with you entropie. The show is sick. I think it is terrible to break up couples and temp them into cheating just for the sake of entertainment. It's sad to see those people ruining their relationships on that show. I can't believe that any couples even agreed to be on it. I'm surprised at what gets high ratings on television now.

Oh yeah. *WooHoo!* Battlebots rocks. I haven't had the chance to watch it lately though.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somebody or nobody
Neophyte
Member # 3001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somebody or nobody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as with many things in todays society the afore mentioned program is amoral
Posts: 3 | From: england | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VeNT
Activist
Member # 852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VeNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
guys
don't give up on TV
theres always;
cartoon network
fox kids (anime rule)
and boomerang!
oh and SciFi chan when babalon 5 and "Space, Above and Beyond"
i was just wondering
who do they find the people do take part in this?
and what kind of a person would?

Posts: 101 | From: truro cornwall england | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~KandyKiss69~
Activist
Member # 3052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~KandyKiss69~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I watched Temptation Island. I hate to think how people could actually enjoy watching other people go through all that emotional pain.

------------------
Shine, make em wonder whatcha got!-Newsboys
(((Kristine)))

Posts: 66 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
******SPOILER WARNING*************
Might want to skip this message if you're just now recieving the show and plan on watching it.

I didn't really like the show itself, but I did appreciate how they handled it when it came to light that one of the couples has a baby together. At least the producers have *some* sense of moral decency.

------------------
I have a hideous, hideous secret...
you see, when the full moon shines, I undergo terrifying changes... My skin gets hard and stiff... shingles grow on top of my head... I turn into... a house.

That's right... I'm a werehouse.

[This message has been edited by Aria51 (edited 03-13-2001).]

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only person who liked this show? A lot?

I think that the participants did what they set out to do: discover more about themselves. I personally think that Mandy should have stayed alone. She seemed so beautiful, so free, without Billy. Meh.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eeek.

Singapore might be bringing in Temptation Island and now I know what's going on.

I read Aria's post too fast.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

I will admit that I'm pretty obsessed with it.. even though it goes against a lot of my morals

entropie

-Dust-
Activist
Member # 1021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Dust-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think its just a huge waste of time. not even worth watching.
Posts: 63 | From: Virginia, U.S.A | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sympathys_Sin
Activist
Member # 792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sympathys_Sin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha, i think the show is clever! something I would put on the air, definitely. I've never seen it tho, is it really that bad? What's funny is that people go on this show and someone's gonna cheat on their lover on national tv. And lose like the contest. It's like... if you're gonna cheat... why dont you just find someone AFTER the show is over with??

This goes against all my beliefs of "stop blaming everything else for your emotional problems" but TV will be the death of us. All these shows trying to tell us what we should be like... c'mon, how many of us have made some sort of judgements on whats normal or right based on what the TV said??

There's a movie I just saw like 2 days ago... 15 Minutes. I think everybody who can go see it should go see it. It's a great artistic look at the effects of the media in modern society, and it is cleverly disguised as a gory, cop vs bad guy action movie.

BUT... see TV is like sex! oh my gosh, a clever comparison! Some people just shouldnt be watching TV. it will affect their judgement, and cause them to stop thinking for themselves, etc etc. And some people shouldnt be having sex; theyre not emotionally ready, or not responsible enough, etc etc. But if you can handle TV (or sex) there's absolutely NO HARM IN IT, it's just all good fun! *thumbs up*

Posts: 49 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Your TV is like sex argument is valid only if one understands what he/she is watching.

Alot of people take TV at face value but alot of the time, television shows are sending out alot of negative sublimal messages which not everybody can latch on to.

I could go on about the kind of experiments done but I just did that for my research paper. Need a break.

All I'm trying to say is that television is a medium which has a massive impact and influence on alot of people especially children and adolescents who are unable to look beyond the programme.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.