Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Social Impact of MTV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Social Impact of MTV
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi people. I know there has been alot of discussions on MTV and gender stereotyping etc around the boards.

I am doing a research paper titled The Social Impact of MTV and I would like to get your opinions on how you feel MTV has impacted society.

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

We have got so many negative social impacts MTV has. And I was just wondering if anyone could think of something good MTV has done.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilpoptart
Neophyte
Member # 2362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilpoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't know if its the same for you in the USA as it is for me in the UK but MTV UK do alot of adverts which Promote contraception and they also cover issues like people being Racist and how it is a bad thing and that all people are Equals
although they play artists like Eminem there is alot of truth in what he says and some people have real problems and he must be doing some thing right to have become so big but if you dont like him don't moan about it just dont watch him

---------------------------------------------

Don't try and be a great man
just be a man

---------------------------------------------

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XxFIFxX
Activist
Member # 2109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XxFIFxX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel MTV has a great social impact. As far as music goes... they have the power to make a band big, which radio doesn't. MTV will shove something down your throat so many times that you can't help but like it and want to run out and buy the CD. Trendies and Teeny Boppers seem to find anything that MTV plays as what they should own.
That's as far as music goes... but with shows like The Real World, Road Rules, etc. People see these shows and decide to be clones of them. Sadly, MTV is a huge contributer to the whole anorexia fad. Have you ever seen anyone on these shows who is NORMAL? The girls are anorexic and the guys are muscular. I think if MTV supported other types of people society might too and it wouldn't be a crime to be a size 11.

------------------
*I wish I didn't care, but I do*

Posts: 62 | From: Los Angeles, CA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch MTV at all- all I know is that Daria is on MTV, and that's my favourite show. (They air it on ABC here in Australia). Ironically, Daria seems to embody a philosophy that's about as different from the "you must be beautiful and popular to succeed" line as you can get.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ever heard the song "Video Killed the Radio Star?" (by the Buggles -- Napster it if you have no clue)

MTV's inception enabled the new medium of music video to reach a much wider audience. In turn, this new medium showcased many new artists, the kind who operate behind the camera. Music videos became an art form (though the art has been badly neglected in recent years). Notable photographers such as Anton Corbijn made the transition to video and directed groundbreaking works such as Nirvana's "Heart-Shaped Box." Less mainstream artists were able to surface to a national audience because they, though less viable on radio, had the better, more visually interesting videos (Devo, anyone?).

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So where did Devo and Buggles go? In all irony, I've been looking for videos by these guys through iMesh and FileNavigator (like Napster, but with more file types, owned by Napster too, I think) for some time with absolutely no luck. Even the records are pretty hard to find, and usually expensive when they do surface. They may have gotten exposure, but I guess when people realised that there were videos out there with boobs and catchier (if much simpler) songs, that was it for them. I think a lot more bands have gotten exposure over the internet than ever habe through MTV. I mean, through Napster (and a couple of other sources), I've gained access to the wonders of Yoko Kanno, Shonen Knife, Optiganally Yours, the Murmurs, and lots of other really great stuff. Through music videos? Er, not much.

Though music videos existed, to some degree, in the sixties . .. I guess MTV did spread that medium.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me a dumb teen if you wish....but all I watch is MTV. I think they discuss some important issues (and some really stupid one's as well) All I know is that I would never get breast implants after watching that documentary!! They've also talked about things like drug addiction, computer hacking, AIDS & HIV, & much more.... they also show the good and bad sides to things that most people wouldn't ordinarily show (Sort of like how Scarleteen doesn't reprimand teens for having sex--they teach you how to do it safely...if that makes it a little clearer) Anyway, it's entertainment.

------------------
"Live a balanced life - Learn some and think some, and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some."
~~ Robert Fulghum, author ~~

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OperationIVY
Neophyte
Member # 2690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OperationIVY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is why i stay away from mtv, hi all, this is my first post lol so hows everyone, anyways, ive never really liked mtv, even when they actually had music on....when was that again the early 80s? hmmm, me and my friends watched it for an entire day, and i dont think it was worth it, all we saw were a bunch of anorexic teens on some show called teenybop request live, have you noticed how they never ever have had a lets put it "fatter" person on mtv, lets say if miss bimbo spears was 200 pounds and she had the voice of all mighty "god" , we all know that mtv wouldnt put her on......cause of the negativity they put on teens, you have to be skinny to be popular, on tv, liked and admired, thats what the pop music scene makes me think, and thats why i stay far away from it as possible, im not fat, im not skinny, lets say im normal, and im not willing to change for some corporate "music" station so blah

------------------
"those seconds reveal that the momentum that drives a subculture is more important than any particular band. The momentum is made of all the people who stay interested and keep their sense of urgency and hope" ~jesse (opivy)

Posts: 15 | From: ? | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.