Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Monogamy myth?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Monogamy myth?
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading this article called The Myth of Monogamy at Salon.com, and I wondered what anyone else thought about this. Basically it says that nature has made us polyamourous, and that monogamy is a very unnatural state for both humans and animals. Therefore cheating within relationships isn't abnormal because that's just the way we're made.

Personally, I don't really think I agree with that. And I think that trying to use "nature vs. nurture" in an argument about cheating within a committed relationship doesn't really cut it for me. While we are similar to animals in some ways, there are quite a few differences, therefore I find the comparison lacking when it comes to acceptable behavior.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip."
~Jonathan Carroll

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a counter arguement, read "The Naked Ape" by Desmond Morris. His contention is that all of the higher primates pair-bond.
There have been some attempts to set up polyamourus human communities. As far as I know, they have all failed as the urge to pair-bond is stronger.

------------------
All paper clips are born free, but they live in chains

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grr. Arguments that draw from sociobiology about damn near anything get my blood boiling.

Anyways, regardless of "nature," at this point culture is what drives humans more (in my opnion, of course). Our culture is set up, in large part, to value monogamy and to place it at the center of many human institutions, and I would argue that that's the stronger force than biology.

I mean, if you want to talk about "natural" or "unnatural" states...sheesh. Everything we've constructed is "unnatural," isn't it?

But people still cheat, and some people do polyamorous relationships (see http://www.polyamory.org if you'd like some information about people who do), and some people pair bond, and a zillion variations in between.

I know of some polyamorous communities, and of quite a few people who do polyamorous relationships (myself being one of them) and I know that I resent having my relationship structure being compared to cheating (not that either of you were implying that) and I also resent the idea that I'm somehow More HIghly Evolved or Just Following Nature by doing what I'm doing.

I do what I do cause it works for me. Period. And I'd never tell anyone else what works for them is wrong -- however, I do have to say that I don't like cheating, and I don't think that it usually proves to be a viable solution.

</rant>

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with being involved in a polyamourous relationship (I just want to make sure I'm being clear here in what I said). That's a personal choice, and I'm not going to judge anyone based on that. I simply meant that saying that "natural instinct" was an excuse for infidelity in committed relationships (pair bond or otherwise) was not acceptable to me.

And I think you're absolutely right Erin about labeling things as "natural" or "unnatural".

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip."
~Jonathan Carroll

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 01-28-2001).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I'd agree Kitten.

When it comes down to agreements you make with people, unless it's simply "unnatural" to honor agreements, nature has but monkey poop to do with it.

(You know, sometimes when I censor my language here I sound more ridiculous and obscene than if I'd just said what I meant in the forst place.)

Having one partner or twenty, or being attracted to one person or more than one isn't one and the same as what you agree to do with another human being, and we do have the freedom to make those agreements (or not) as we deem best -- a short few of us have someone putting a gun to our heads telling us to be monogamous or polyamorous if we don't want to be.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kechara
Neophyte
Member # 2259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kechara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh darn, look what happens when I'm not obsessibely checking the board, someone posts something I just *have* to respond to and then other people come along and say exactly what I wanna say!
what's "natural" for humans is to have highly adaptable behavior (I mean, what else is intelligence for?). Sure, natural impulses probably have some to do with it too, but those also vary from person to person... and it's up to the person in question to figure out how best to deal with 'em.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bottom line is, whatever our ancestors did, we have a choice.

Saying: "nature intended me to be this way - its not my fault I cheated!" is crap. On your way to the zoo, say hello to the security guard, Mr. Monkey.

We have the ability to reason, the ability to make commitments, and the discipline to carry them through. We are not animals - although some species do have life-partners. Monogamy is not just a human behaviour.

Of course, I say all this using an abstract "we" - I do not demean myself with the description "Homo Sapiens Sapiens". ;p

------------------
Seid umschlungen, Millionen!
Diesen Kuss der ganzen Welt!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to take this topic as if I hadn't seen anything.

I believe in both systems, personnaly I'd probably keep only one partner because of the emotions it envolves but I consider that both systems are good and that it's one of the first things young couples should discuss. It's all a deal of trust between both. Anyway, I really think that monogamy is a myth "invented" by humans because of our feelings.

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you conpletely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.