Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » "Killer Tampon"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Killer Tampon"
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well here's a new idea in rape prevention for you!

'Killer Tampon' Will Give Rapists The Chop

What do you think of that one? Personally I'm not sure I'd want to be wearing a switchblade in my vagina, but then that's just me! My question here is: if it chops anything that touches it, how do you get the thing out without losing a finger?

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell."
~Joan Crawford

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oww. What if you forget about it and decide to have sex? Oh dear.

Not very practical is it? And good question, how do you get it out?

I will not put anything like that in my vagina, thankyouverymuch.

This guy has too much free time on his hands. Thanks but no thanks.

Interestingly, I was talking to a friend about rape and she told me about this article she read recently. Rapists were asked how they picked whom to rape and they said that they usually picked:

- Women who tie their hair in a bun or a ponytail.

- Women who wear overalls. Or any clothing that can be easily slit open with something sharp.

And if you suspect the person following you might be a potential rapist, turn around and talk to him. Ask him for the time or something. Interesting stuff.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha! I heard of that.

People are just becoming so creative today, not neccesarily in a good way, though. I don't prefer to have anything metal in my vagina, even less so with a sharp point. Nice idea, but not pratical.

Did any of you hear about the book a man (I think he was a psycologist) wrote that rape is an instinct in men? I think that although he may have some "proof", the idea is bogus. What about you?

------------------
Give yourself over to absolute pleasure!! With protection, of course.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rape as "instinct"? What bogus crap. Even if I believed that ALL of our sexuality derived from things that were either genetic or evolutionarily hardwired into us (and I absolutely don't), I would still say that the difference between instinct and humanity is free will. And if anyone's gonna argue that men don't have free will, then I expect to see them all lining up for instructions from ME in the morning. Clearly, if they have no will of their own, no ability to make decisions, someone has to tell them what to do.

And that killer tampon idea makes me cringe all the more. Welcome to 2001, here's your internally-worn chastity belt? No thanks.

Besides, for an internally-worn "killer tampon" to do any good, the rapist has to actually put his penis (or finger) into a woman's vagina... which means she gets raped ANYWAY, and then ends up with the guy's blood and dismembered penis bits inside her body. Some bargain. And oh, ever-so-safe in terms of HIV transmission. (What kind of medieval butthead thought this up?) Not to mention that many rapes do not include vaginal penetration: forced oral or anal sex is still rape, and a "killer tampon" ain't gonna do you a bit of good in those situations either.

As for what rapists look for: statistically, rapists look for people they can threaten and intimidate. Rapists come in all shapes and sizes AND SEXES. So do rape victims.

That said, if you feel like someone is being threatening, engaging them before they engage you -- like asking the time, or something -- can be helpful. If you are assertive, you are less likely to be perceived as someone that person can intimidate.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

[This message has been edited by Hanne (edited 01-23-2001).]

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Hanne. Ditto to everything.

And I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing something like that either.

The only time I've heard of anything similar was in the carnal guide to Dungeons and Dragons. And there is a good reason that we don't go around living life like it was a D&D adventure.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What she said. Really.

This is inane, especially coming from a country with such outrageous HIV stats.

Rapists aren't getting off on intercourse. They're getting off on P O W E R and control and intimidation. If it was about sex and intercourse, then I'd like someone to explain to me why my 72-year-old great-grandmother was raped, because while she was a lovely individual, I wouldn't exactly describe her as a sex bomb at that point. And as an aside, "resiting" rape does not "damage a woman internally." But gee gosh golly, a stiletto in her vagina just might cause some, dontcha think?

And the psychological damage caused by rape really isn't about penetration: it's about being victimized.

...and lastly, I shudder to think of what a rapist would do to a woman who severed his penis, especially since nipping off some of a penis isn't immobilizing.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think some of this, and what NO ONE's brought up yet, has to do with this:

*No woman has to wear this device.*

Isn't the mere suggestion that SOME women might be wearing it enough?

I was a psych major, ya know. ;]

But, seriously - you guys are all correct. Rape doesn't equal penis-in-vagina, and the guy who came up with this is a moron for thinking this would protect anyone (esp with the HIV aspect).

Ugh.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
Ike Ike Go Go Jump!

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you read Neal Stephenson's cyberpunk science fiction book "Snow Crash"? The female protagonist, YT, wears something a lot like that, except instead of an actual razor-blade type thing, it was a little needle loaded with a drug to knock the rapist out. It was called the "dentata," presumably after "vagina dentata," or toothy vagina, the fear some men have of, well, toothy vaginas that will eat their members if they have intercourse. After I read the book I got on-line and poked around, trying to find out if anything like the dentata actually existed, but with no results. I guess now it might though.

I've been trying, and I can't imagine a situation where I would want to use such a thing... I'm pretty selective about what goes up in there, and sharp blades just aren't on the list. Just sounds like a bad idea! Still, I must admit, it seems like an inevitable idea, and I'm surprised if this is the first time someone's tried to make such a thing. I'll also be surprised if there's no market for it. It'll probably end up maiming some innocent people, but so does most of the technology we come up with, so I really can't bring myself to worry about it too much. Honestly, I think it's kind of amusing.

There's a movie called "Killer Condom," by the way. I think it's based on a comic book. I haven't actually seen it, but apparently it's a sort of murder-mystery about guys in New York city who were killed, by, uh, a toothy condom.

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if it gets rusty? Aack.

Yup, I have heard that argument many times. Rape is a natural instinct, violence is a natural instinct. Bullshi*

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a lover of the strange and unsual, I've seen Killer Condom.

Its truly bizarre. I recommend it to anyone with a perverted taste to their humour.

As to the Killer Tampon, all I can suggest is some form of actual physical defence. Even chemical spray is a deterrent, if you're prepared. Or a knee to the crotch is likely to reduce the ardour of even the most serious rapist.

Further, given the frequency of date-rape, I'd question the value of this device. Would you wear it when going on a date?

------------------
- Unprincipled hooligan.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could be very out to lunch on this, but couldn't a user of this killer tampon potentially get slapped with a charge of criminal negligence, or somesuch thing?

I always thought that someone who does something that is meant to hurt another person, in self-defence against an act that they have no reason to believe is going to happen, is liable to be charged.

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd think so, Dzuunmod.

The whole thing is really half-baked all around.

If people want to protect themselves, take a self-defense class. Take aikido or judo. Learn to run. Learn how to be street-smart. But of course, doing that would empower third world women in other ways, so gee, that'd be totally unacceptable, now wouldn't it?

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.