Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Women being degraded and being 'sexy'!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Women being degraded and being 'sexy'!
discriminatedsara
Neophyte
Member # 2347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for discriminatedsara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, as a woman, am SO sick of MTV! It's just a channel of women being degraded. It's setting the standard that to be a sexy woman these days, you have to buy your shirts in the little girls section and your shorts have to have half of your butt hanging out. What ever happened to intelligence and confidence being sexy?! I mean it's bad anough that MTV shows this stuff this stuff, but it's even worse that these women in these music videos are willing to exploit themselves like this! Don't they have and morals? Values? Self-respect?! I hate society today and I wish I didn't live in it but let's face it-Sex sell.
Posts: 5 | From: Evansville, IN, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well turn it OFF, honey.

Honestly, I grew up without television and still don't own one. It keeps me happy and busy, and preserves vital brian cells.

Truthfully, that kind of imagery or ideal isn't JUST insulting to women -- it's insluting to men as well by setting a standard where if a man doesn't find that attractive, there certainly must be something wrong with them. It denigrates everyone, really.

And exploitation isn't that simple -- models make SCADS of money for doing that sort of thing, and they do so willingly, and so it's flirting with what that really means to say they have been exploited. And it's entirely possible that in some cases -- sad as it is -- that some of the self-respect they do have is very wrapped up in that appearance and that value.

Do also remember that that IS entertainment -- it isn't intended to be accurate, nor is it intended to be educational. Frankly, it strikes me as silly, boring and vapid, and the music is usually so pithy and substandard as well that the whole thing is a waste of time.

But while it is reflective of some people's ideas, don't buy into the notion that it reflects everyone's ideas, or even MOST peoples ideas. because it really doesn't, and the less people that get tricked into thinking it does, the better chance culture stands of being healthy and inclusive.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are bad for me Miz S. I used to enjoy Cosmo and MTV but now, it just makes me bored. Now, I seem to have so much more spare time which I spend here.

Nah, seriously. Sara honey. Watch Animal Planet or Discovery Channel. It's a zillion times more interesting and none of them wear clothes.

Like it or not, sex will always sell. A naked Sophie Dahl will sell more perfume than a covered up Cindy Crawford. That sucks, yea. Why not do what I do. Buy Clinique products and watch Animal Planet.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think Sophie Dahl is beautiful naked, and I'm glad that that beauty is visible in a world with ugliness and violence in it.

Something else to remember is that the "sex sells" schpeal only holds that much water. Something like the original poster described isn't sex at all, is it? is it sex as you know it? It isn't sex as I know it, and I don't know that I'd be interested in sex with your average music video model.

That is a mockery of sex, really -- it's a juvenile (in the bad way) wet dream of what sex might be if we took anything interesting or important out of it. So, even calling that sex is iffy for me.

(Aw, you had better things to do anyway, Lin.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Sophie Dahl poster was banned here in England for being 'degrading and explicit' which seems rather unfair to me, because it was only a few people who found it upsetting, whereas the general opinion was that it was no worse than most music videos and certainly no more harmful than adverts for cigarettes or alcohol. But then it's always 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' who has the influence round here. (you probably won't get that if you're not from Britain but never mind)
Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aack, you see. I'm here again in last than an hour.

I saw the Sophie Dahl ad and I was quite entranced by it but I honestly couldn't see the connection between that and the perfume. Maybe I'm just dense. I'm not against using sex to sell anything but it has to make sense. Otherwise, I'm not into it.

Like for MTV, D'Angelo naked in his MTV seemed like the most natural and beautiful thing but Britney in her bra top was like huh?

Speaking of Sophie Dahl, she seems to be losing weight. Alot of it. I saw a picture of her very early on and in comparison to how she looks now, she has lost bundles. I sure hope it's not because of the industry she is in now. Coz that would be really sad.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Lemme try...

Perfume is supposed to make you feel sexy.

That's why I'd reckon MOST perfume ads have either a beautiful woman's face or body or a couple embracing in them.

Sounds simplistic, I know, but on the other hand, smelling nice usually DOES make people feel sexy, and again, I'm going to plop up a vote for beautifully photographed nude bodies, period. The body is a beautiful thing, and how nice it would be if we saw more of it, and less of it when it was being shot at.

Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked that Sophie Dahl ad too. The thing I liked best about it was that she didn't seem to be saying "hey, look at me" (although that had to happen of course)- she looks completely enraptured in her own world, rather than looking at the camera, asking other people to verify her beauty.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's Sophie Dahl?

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Yea, I read in the papers that it was banned too. Well, here in Singapore, we get to see zero naked women. Absolutely none so unfortunately, there is no way of admiring the beauty of the female form at all. I only managed to see the ad in a magazine my mum smuggled back from Hong Kong. Cosmo is banned in Singapore by the way.

Hey Mop, Sophie Dahl is Roald Dahl's granddaughter and quite a famous model. She was also one of the first models to break the stereotype that supermodels had to be thin as a rake. If you run her name through a search engine, you should be able to see what she looks like and the work she has done. Would post a link up here but not sure if it would be appropriate.

[This message has been edited by Lin (edited 01-15-2001).]

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was gonna ask what Mophead asked.

I agree on this: just say NO to MTV. You will find better music elsewhere, and it won't insult your intelligence. Start with Radiohead. Work your way up from there.

You can still be sexy without looking like you work the corner at night. Just pick out clothes that flatter your bodyform -- to hell with trends, they're just there to insult your intelligence and enforce the herd mentality.

Of this topic in general, fashion is a lot about insulting the collective intelligence of their target market. How gullible are we? Just how stupid do they think we are? To answer them those questions, just don't buy into their bullshit. Don't let them take us for idiots with a disposable income!

i always get virulently pissed off when it comes to the fashion industry grrr!

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Dust-
Activist
Member # 1021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Dust-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dont really mind. it doesn't really bother me that much. although it may be degrading it is those women's choices. they dont' have to do that kind of stuff. i seriously doubt that some man (or woman...) held a gun to their head and said they had to, or even black mailed them into it. like somebody else said, they do it willingly.
Posts: 63 | From: Virginia, U.S.A | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.