Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Prayer in Schools....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prayer in Schools....
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you guys think about that? I mean, for football games and stuff. Not like your sitting in class and someone says 'hey lets say a prayer.' But, when your football team or any school team has a game do you think its right? I think it is, I mean if they want to do that its fine. Its your own personal choice, I think. If you dont want to do it, dont, its not peer pressure. If you want to do it, then do it, if you dont, dont!

We were reading something in our History class about it after our test, and I just wanted to know everyone elses opinion about it!

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ohh my g spot
Neophyte
Member # 1877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ohh my g spot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think people should do what ever the want, even though church and state are separate. Personally I don't pray in school because I don't think school is the place for it.

Did you know: Some people who are pro-school prayer believe that if we don't have Christian prayer in school, that it won't teach kids proper morals. Based on their "statistics" drug use, teen pregnancy, violent crimes and gun use has increased because of the decline in teaching prayer in school.

Posts: 27 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I feel that praying be4 a sporting event is rather melodramatic. I mean who is to say that a school team has ne more right to win a game than their opponent. There r plenty more important things to pray about like protection of people suffering from famine, war and disease. And of course the continuing crusade liberalism (with websites like Scarleteen in the front line) against the forces of Conservatism.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it'd depend on if they have someone willing and able to do prayers representative of all of the traditions of those involved in whatever is being meditated upon.

If not, then if they can manage to make it non-denominational (which would involve them, for starters, not using the "G" word) then go to town.

But I think we know how often either of those scenarios happen.

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always maintained that as long as there are algebra exams, there will be prayer in schools.

*Organized* prayer in schools I think is inappropriate, unless the school is a parochial / religious school. Otherwise, it smacks a bit too much of making religion, and one particular version thereof, mandatory for all students, and that strikes me as wrong for a public school to do.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of my favorite subjects, since I'm so opionated on it.

I do not believe in God. I never have, I doubt I ever will. I do get offended if someone bad mouths my beliefs. I also get offended if someone bad mouths another person's belief. So, my views on school prayer are it may be offensive for people to pray to God, while other people have different religions, such as Buddhish, Hinduism, etc. I believe it's best to keep religion and school seperate. But, people are entitled to their religious beliefs and prayers. So, as long as people aren't using prayer in a diminutive way, or casting people out because they're different, I'm okay with it.

As for the statistics, I believe that there isn't a significant relation between the two. I think I decline in overall moral, religious or not, in society is responsible for those statistics

------------------
Yeah, well I'VE got blood dripping out of a hole between my legs, do YOU?!?
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to agree with what both of the sexperts have said on the topic.
A public school that runs on the money of every individual in the community really ought to do its best to represent all of those people's views. If that's not possible, because of, say time constraints, then no one voice should be heard above all of the others.
I've always thought that a moment of silence in those situations is pretty appropriate. That way, whoever wants to pray, can pray in their own way, and whoever wants to count the holes in the ceiling can do that.
Do y'all think that national anthems (or the pledge of allegiance, or somesuch thing) are even appropriate at school? Where I went to school, there were about two or three people in my grade each year who would have to leave the class each morning when the anthem played over the intercom and we were all made to stand. They did this because some of the lyrics to 'O Canada' didn't mesh with their religious beliefs.
To do this to little kids, not even ten years old yet is not very nice, I think. Essentially, you're telling that they're different from everyone else, and that they need to be separate from all the others.

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a great idea, Dzuun, and I'd agree. A simple moment of silence would certainly suffice (when one is called for -- my high school didn't have sports teams, but I can remember having a moment of prayer when the Challenger went down which seemed appropriate, more so than for football), and give everyone a choice. I'm also not real hot on the idea of nationalism in school anymore than I am with religion. Sometimes, in fact, it's awfully hard to tell the difference between the two in some places, which is scary.

As an amusing aside, I have never said the Pledge of Allegiance in my life. I was home schooled until I was six by my activist father, and when I was about to begin school, he really didn't want me to say it, but didn't know how to explain why.

So, he taught me the Star-Spangled Banner and told me it was the Pledge of Allegiance.

Thus, on the first day of school when the time came, I was thrilled, because as a big ham from the get-go, a chance to sing was always welcome with me. You can imagine my great embarassment when I only realized everyone was quiet once I'd hit the last note, at the top of my lungs.

I was later told none too gently that that wasn't okay, so I refised to say anything during that time. I'm not sure my fathers way was the best way, but it did work, and it does provide for a good story. Once I listened to what they were saying in silence, I didn't want to say it anyway -- it didn't mean anything to me.

Plus, I had no idea who Richard Stans was anyway, nor why we were toasting the Republic to him.

As I got older, I usually silently thanked my father, odd as his methods were, because I don't pledge allegiance to a flag, nor a lot of the things it represents, and he afforded me the opportunity to think about that and make a choice rather than following the throng like cattle.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I went to a Christian high school, so for me, it was strange to get used to not praying before and after everything we did. I'm not sure that I really have an opinion about prayer in public schools because I simply was never in that situation...well, other than the fact that I think that if you want to pray, it's your right to do so.

But I did want to point out something. Public prayer before sporting events is not generally something where you're asking God (or which ever deity you're praying to) to let one team or the other win. In my experience, those prayers are for safety for the players, fans, and everyone else involved, and for a fair and honest game. I was a cheerleader all the way through high school, and before each game, we would get together with the cheerleaders from the other team and simply say a prayer for our safety as we performed stunts and cheered, and for our teams as they played. Now I recognize that this was a religious school, so it's different than a public school, and I'm not advocating that we require everyone to do this. I just simply wanted to point out that generally you aren't praying to win at all costs.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"If it is your time, love will track you down like a cruise missile."
~Lynda Barry

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm not opposed to prayer in schools. coming from a non-Xtian, some people find that odd.

but personally, i don't care if people pray. i don't have to join in.

but give me the opportunity to lead prayer (in some equal opps sort of arrangement) and gladly, i'll recite some sanskrit for ya.

i went to a public high school, and before soccer matches, my team always prayed. i just didn't. no one bothered me about it. no one shunned me for it. so really, i don't see the fuss.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wouldnt really care (if i was in school) as long as they didnt try to get me to do it too. i dont think that anyone should push beliefs on someone else but if its purely by choice and no one is going to bother the ones about it or critisize them then i say go ahead. the only prayer would be christian and not everyone is christian. i know that i would pray in school, but i wouldnt want someone to sit there and say that im not praying because i dont believe in god, because thats not true. so i say if its by choice go ahead.

------------------
fairykoger@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that if one religion is represented in schools, then all should be. Such the same if a Roman Catholic wants to pray, then so should the Islamic and Hinduism.

The pledge of alleigence is drilled into a childs head from day one. Saying it in school, I find it has no meaning. I havn't stood for it in schools and actually meant it. It's just something to make the teachers happy. Because in my school, some teachers will yell at you if you don't stand.

When I say it for jobies, I grasp the meaning. One of the things Jobs teaches is loyalty to our flag.

In the fourth grade, my teacher had us memorize poems and such. She had us memorize the Preamble to the Constitution. So we'd say that instead of the pledge. It was great. Cause I understood that. We were explained its meaning, and not just made to repeat it like automons. I'm sure that if they taught the meaning to young children, more would be willing to stand.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swtgrl4u
Neophyte
Member # 2114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swtgrl4u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many people here have seen Varsity Blues? Now I live in a suburb of Cleveland, so geography is a lil different, but my football team still prays before every game. And no Confused Boy, they are not praying to win, they pray that everyone comes out of it healthy and not injured, including the other players. They don't pray for defeat of the other team. I think that as long as everyone is okay with it, it's fine. The only rule my School Distirct has is that the coachs and medical staff can not be present at time of prayer. They feel that the fact they are older and their superiors might influence players that aren't comfortable with praying.

------------------
*~*Kelli*~*

*~*We love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly*~*

Posts: 12 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.