Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Purto Rico Sex Ed Blocked Despite AIDS Crisis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Purto Rico Sex Ed Blocked Despite AIDS Crisis
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really awful.

A Salon article yesterday -- http://www.salon.com/sex/world/2000/11/30/puerto_rico/index.html?CP=YAH&DN=110 -- documented how in Puerto Rico, a nation which has the second highest AIDS rate in the whole of the United States and its territories, legistlation for sex ed in the Public Schools has been shut down by Catholic lobbyists, despite their constitution making clear church and state are to be separate.

Aside of the AIDS rates, young people in Puerto Rico often find it impossible to obtain contraception and STD protection. Clearly, this isn't going to help.

How sad this comes out right around World AIDS day. if anyone has any activism ideas on this, shoot'em at me.

A related article can alos be found here: http://www.workingforchange.com/news/article.cfm?ItemId=10055

And, in fact, http://www.workingforchange.com is a great site when it comes to general political activism. I visit it often.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poor people, they join the USA so they can have freedom. Except they do not have the freedom fo information, surely that must impinge on some of those amendments in the constitution
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's important to recognize that Puerto Rico is a country on its own.

People who want to emigrate to the U.S. do not emigrate there -- Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory (not a State) not because as a country it decided to join the United States -- it was acquired by the U.S. from Spain during the Spanish American war a century ago, and that process was completed twenty years later. Puerto Ricans elect their own governments, and are only statutory citizens of the U.S.

So, I'm not sure what you intended to mean with the "join the USA for freedom" stuff , but I thought I would clarify for the record.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sorry, my mistake. I just asked my Dad who had been to Puerto Rico if it was part of the US and he said yes.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

No need to be sorry, history and geography are often tough because often history books aren't complete (or are often highly biased).

Puerto Rico IS part of the United States -- it is a United States territory, though -- in other words, the U.S. owns it by proxy, basically. Territories have some statuatory rights, but not full rights, and are not considered a state, and have their own governments.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.