Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Family, Friends and... sex toys!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Family, Friends and... sex toys!
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone !
I was just thinking about that the other day. What would you think/ how you'd react if a family member or a friend gave you a sex toy as gift for christmas/birthday ?

Thanks !
DC_WillowFan

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you conpletely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's not a sex toy, but my best friend is threatening to tape condoms to my locker for Christmas . I told her I'd be mortified .

------------------
Yeah, well I'VE got blood dripping out of a hole between my legs, do YOU?!?
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol, I'm giving my best friend a vibrator for her next birthday...but that's basically a big inside joke! We've been laughing about doing something like that for ages, she said I wouldn't do it, so I'm (of course) going to send her one now! It's no big deal...now if my mom sent me something like that, it might weird me out a bit. I dunno though, I think it depends on who it is, and what they send you maybe.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"If it is your time, love will track you down like a cruise missile."
~Lynda Barry

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it would not surprise me if my cousins bought me toys for the holidays as a joke. they came to visit me here in berk, and i took them to this awesome sex-positive shop called Good Vibrations. the place isn't seedy at all, very women-friendly, queer-friendly, even many friendly. Diverse group of shoppers. loads of safer sex supplies (a wall of condoms!) and book and everything. very cool.

but if anyone else gives me a toy, i think i'd have to freak.

btw, i give condoms as party favors

------------------
Maurice! Bring in the albinos! muwahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gumdrop -- Good Vibes in Berkeley rawks. I've taught classes there, and it's a truly fine place, as is the original store over in San Francisco. Those kinds of stores are fun to browse in -- you can find all sorts of new condoms and lubes to try, and you can buy one of each (individual condoms, small tester sizes of lubes) if you want to sample, which is kind of nice.

As for buying other people sex toys? I don't do that, even for people I've known for a long time. It would be a very friendly gesture, however, to buy someone you care for a gift certificate to a good sex toy/book store. Sex toys are very personal. Heck, even choosing a condom brand is very personal, and individual preferences vary quite a lot. With a gift certificate, a person can get exactly what they want. It's a great alternative to guessing wrong when it comes to something as potentially touchy as sex toys.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depend what family member it is, like if my dad or mom gave me a sex toy, I'd wanna know what they started smokin'...I dont think I would feel comfy. "Here have a vibrator and a dildo"..."Oh thanx, I've always wanted one of these for Christmas!!!" LOL!! I dont think so!! To weird, I think if you want a sex toy, buy it yourself, its personal. And I think you will feel more comfy.

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 11-28-2000).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee
Activist
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know what I'd do if one of my parents bought me a sex toy. Actually I think the idea of it is very very funny. What would be even funnier is if I got them some kind of sex toy, like a strap on dildo for my mom. Now THAT would be funny!

Lee

Posts: 175 | From: Tempe, AZ USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh my goodness..teehee~what a question! I would probably freak out if some1 from my family gave me that. My friend....that would still be a weird, but it would depend who, b/c if its in a joking manner that's funnny as long as you don't open it in front of anyone!! LoL! Got any more questions like this? It gave me a good laugh!!

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
"Don't go in the teepee without a condom on your peepee"~Dumb & Dumber

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind of funny to see this topic, because just yesterday I was laughing with my boyfriend about an ad for a sex shop that said "perfect gifts for office parties, family, and friends". We both thought it would be dumb to buy sex toys for your family. I suppose we say that though, because we're both only children, and aren't very close to cousins our age. I guess I could see it if you were close with a sibling or cousin, but not a parent/child/aunt etc.

As for office parties or friends, I can see it as a joke. I don't really feel comfortable talking about sex with my friends, though. Most of them are virgins and I'd feel weird admitting that I'm not (even though they've probably guessed).

Gumdrop, I would love to find someplace like Good Vibrations here. I've only been to one sex shop, and I was disappointed that it didn't have any books. Also, it would be nice to find a place that caters a bit more to queers.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rizzo, the place to go in Montreal is L'Androgyne (3636 St. Laurent). It is an excellent queer and feminist bookstore that now carries JoyToyz distributed sex toys (a woman run, queer friendly business). I buy all my books there and all my toys from Joy Toyz.

You can also find them at the Rusty Plum Winter Craft Fair (176 Bernard West) on the 9th and 10th as well as 16th-21st of December (11am-6pm).

If you are under 18, I believe they will not sell you sex toys but you can browse at these locales for future reference.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

[This message has been edited by bettie (edited 12-09-2000).]

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.