Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Theres a pedophile in *my* neighbourhood?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Theres a pedophile in *my* neighbourhood?
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiyas ... I don't know how many of you are from Toronto, or listen to the news from there, but i used to live there so i listen a lot.

There has been a lot of news about a convited pedophile that has just gotten out of jail and moved to the Royal York Rd. and Eglington Ave. area. My old high school is there, along w/ about 8 other schools, most of them being juniour (elementary, for us that's JK-5) schools. Why in the name of God would anyone put him there ... of all places?

And the thing that drives me the most crazy is that they believe he is not fully recovered, and that he will reoffend. However, he is allowed to live anywhere he wants in Canada, even across from a juniour school. Why?! Why has he not been kept in jail until he decides to get help for himself? This is just not right ...

There was a huge outcry in the area, but police would not say where exactly he lived, only the closest major intersection to him. Well guess what guys? They found him two nites ago, and he's on the move again. They gave him 24hrs to get out of the neighbourhood, or they would go public w/ his address and stage protests outside his house. So why all the fuss? Not because of his past ... not even because of who he is or that he's living in *their* (and what used to be mine as well) area ... but because officials have said that he is likely to reoffend and he is refusing to seek any kind of medical treatment!!

I can just imagine what parents are going though down there ... Fearing for their children and not wanting to let them out of their sight, i know i wouldn't. I guess the Canadian legal system has just proved one more time to everyone what a joke it really is ...

If you're really interested, check out this link ... sorry guys, i haven't mastered html yet, but i'm working on it!
http://www.canoe.com/TorontoNews/ts.ts-10-20-0007.html

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And yet another ...

Matthew Metzler is my sisters best friend's little brother ... Funny how you think things like this won't hit so close to home, and they do anyway. But like the article says, everyone is safe and sound ... and Matty is alright, so everyone is happy. Except for Peter Whitmore or course, who is still trying to find somewhere that he can sit still for more than 5 mins (not that i feel sorry for him, really)
http://www.canoe.com/TorontoNews/ts.ts-10-20-0009.html

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter Whitmore was living close to me. However, I do have a question. Just to whose neighbourhood did the "outraged neighbours" want him moved?

Remember, he served his entire sentence. He received no parole nor time off for good behavior. At what point do you declare a person a "dangerous offender" and sentence him/her to spend the remainder of his/her life in a penetentiary?

Karla Homolka is going to be released in a maximum of four years (assuming she serves her complete sentence). Where will she live? "Not in my back yard?" Well then, whose?

At least we knew where Peter Whitmore was and what he looks like. Now he has been hounded from the community and disappeared into the anonomity of the central city and the police will not say where (for his own protection). Are we happy now? Maybe he's been moved to Kingston?

Unless we make the death penalty or life imprisonment mandatory for ALL crimes, we will always have the problem of what to do with criminals who have served their sentences.

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 20 October 2000).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said BoBo, well said. You could move pedophiles to a senior center and then you wouldn't worry. Really, where are they going to go?

Brittany

------------------
I'm the good girl that everyone thinks is a bad girl pretending to be a good girl :D

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what I've never understood? Why is it that people get all up in arms whenever there is a sexual offender that moves into the neighbourhood, but not when, say, a convicted murderer or attemped murderer does?
I'm not saying that the concern in this case is unjustified, but I think that there is a sort of double standard applied.
Like Bobolink (it seems) I have a fair bit of sympathy for criminals. I think that pedophilia, more than anything, is a disease and should be treated as such. Locking people up who have a disease does them no good whatsoever. When they get back out, they're bound to reoffend. These people need help, and the support of the community and its services, not to have their pictures flashed on the evening news.
Another thing to consider, when pictures, names and addresses are made public, mistakes can be made. In England over the summer, I understand that one newspaper decided to perform a public service by publishing such information. In at least one case, they printed the name and address of a totally innocent person. How would you like that?

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 22 October 2000).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Whoa ... hang on, i think you guys took what i was saying the wrong way ...

First of all, i have some unresolved issues w/ sex assult/abuse, so my point of view is someone lopsided, bear w/ me please. Second, the biggest problem i have is that he is refusing treatment. Yes, he served his time in jail, but being locked up like an animal is not going to make him better, is it? So now that he's out of jail, why is it not continuing treatment? Because he doesn't want to? Too damn bad ... he should be anyway, but since he served his time, no one can do anything to him.

They're saying now that he's in downtown toronto, but they can't say exactly where for fear that the community will run him out again. At least now he's considering treatment ... yes, only considering.

I don't care where he lives really, just that he's out of jail and not seeing a psychiatrist or anything to make him better ... I DO also believe this is an illness, i agree w/ you Ron

Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LilBlueSmurf,
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off sound all snarky, like I might have, there. I just read my post over, and realized it sort of had that kind of feel to it. Sorry!
I didn't think that anyone posting here really seemed to be saying, for instance, that pedophiles should be locked up without any sort of treatment or anything, I just thought it was a point that needed to be made.
Again, sorry about the confusion.

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

S'okiez dzuumond (sorry for the spelling hehe) I was just trying to make sure no one got mad at me if i came on a bit too strong ... i just wanted to start something on this postboard to talk about and that seemed like the best idea. I agree w/ you tho ... And i didn't mean to call you Ron *lol*
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

It's quite alright, no harm done.
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Well well ... there are still good people in the world ya know. Someone has offered to give him a home as long as he's out of trouble and going to his recovery meetings. Good stuff ... I'm all for giving someone a second chance, but not a third. As long as he's good, and follows the restrictions set for him (he's not allowed around anyone under the age of 14) then i hope things work out
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a good idea. I know I'm always more likely to do something/not do something if I have someone there pushing me and being there for me. But what happens if he's in the grocery store and a 14 y/o walks in? Does he have to leave or waht? What if some girlscout comes to his door to sell cookies? "Honey I'd buy them but I'm a pedophile" I mean that's kind of hard to get out of, hmm...

Brittany

------------------
I'm the good girl that everyone thinks is a bad girl pretending to be a good girl :D

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Peter Whitmore is back in gaol. Read about it here:
http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2000/11/13/whitmore001113

I think the Crown should now ask for "Dangerous Offender" status for him. This would keep him locked up indefinately.

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Ya beat me to it Bobo!!

I was actually just coming here to post that exact same thing ... I hope he does get the dangerous offender label. He had his chance and he blew it ... I do believe he should be in a hospital rather than jail tho, but that's not up to me to decide ...

TheneB
Activist
Member # 1643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheneB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe you guys are getting into the whole " should fail be punishment, or errr can't think of the work. damnit!. "fix ppl" "

One thing about the pedophiles vs murderers on what dzuu mentioned tho. I think that ppl have a much larger problem with pedophiles the murderers in their neighborhood because 1. pedophiles are sick/mentally ill ppl that pray on helpless(pretty much) children.
2. I realize quite a few ppl will disagree, but not ALL murderers are mentally ill. They have problems, but not mentally ill. Ppl can understand this a lot better. Most ppl have felt extreme rage towards someone else, and a lot of murderers just take it too far. Ppl can atleast understand this, and atleast they can defend themselves. ppl cannot understand pedophiles really at all, and again they target children which make ppl at more edgy.

I realize that a lot of murderers probably do have some mental disorders, but not all, and i still think its easier for ppl to understand/make sense of a murderer then a pedophile, and ppl normally fear what they can't understand, especially when it comes to their children.

Posts: 69 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.