Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Decline in Sex-ed standards; Grrrr

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Decline in Sex-ed standards; Grrrr
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just returned to uni after spending a week with my family, and while I was there I asked my brother about the sex ed in his health class. When I was in tenth grade, like he is, we had several lessons on sex ed, including one where the teacher brought in a number of different contraceptives, including condoms, the use of which she demonstrated with vegetables. However, my brother hasn't had a lesson like that. Even tenth grade is a bit too late for many people, but it's better than nothing at all. What are these people thinking?!
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What content did he get in the class? Was there at least some basic anatomy and physiology? Did they tell how women get pregnant and that diseases can be transmitted?

I'm wondering because of some of the questions we get here.

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 08 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 08 October 2000).]

Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what he did get. I know his class watched the "Where did I come from" and "What's happening to me" videos. It's hard to say what they were actually taught though, since I'm pretty sure that my brother would have known all that stuff already.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Short&Sweet813
Neophyte
Member # 1777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Short&Sweet813     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10th grade is a little late to be learning about sex. He should have learned about it a while ago. Teens nowadays are having sex before 10th grade. People really need to keep up with these things!

[This message has been edited by Short&Sweet813 (edited 29 October 2000).]

Posts: 33 | From: Niagara Falls, New York | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that too. My mom was talking about ER (we always watch it and I missed it because I was at a party) and this chick got ghonerea (sp?) in her throat and the doctor was like, "you need to practice safe sex" and the chick was like, "i thought we were" and my dad was saying "don't they teach them anything in school?" so we started talking about sex ed and standards and such. Last year we were supposed to learn sex ed (eighth grade, in health) but my teacher purposefully skipped it (she was using the same lesson plans as another teacher and we did review when they did sex ed). My health teacher now, we haven't done the sex ed chapter but everytime we mention someting with sex he'll give a scarleteen answer (meaning honest) but ends it with "you're too young to be doing it anyway". *sigh* One day someone will change it. But not when Gore or Bush are president!

Brittany

------------------
I'm the good girl that everyone thinks is a bad girl pretending to be a good girl :D

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one hot minute
Neophyte
Member # 1596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one hot minute     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember my first sex ed class...it was in private school in the 5th grade. The teacher split up the boys and girls, and we would have different classes. We watched videos, did worksheets and labeling the parts of male and female sex organs, etc. He made us "observe closely" a tampon and a pad...he also made us say the word "nipple" aloud...We didn't really learn about STDs at this point, they just said they're out there.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xena59579
Neophyte
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xena59579     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know, if I would have learned some sex ed issues before 10th, it would help me fix past mistakes. Did anyone see that MTV Special recently about Sex Laws & Sex Education? It made me decide to do my persuassive essay on Sex Education and how it needs to be improved. Also, I'll be talking about how I think abstinence teaching is wrong! The only thing is, this paper has to be 4-5 pages and I don't know where else to get my sources, does anybody have an idea?

Jodi
;D

Posts: 6 | From: Boothwyn, PA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, a sources question, so dear to my composition teacher heart.

What kinds of sources do you think you'll need for this paper? Do you need facts/statistics/information about sex education? Other people's opinions? How are you going to use these sources?

Anyways, your school's library is a good place to start for any kind of research, although you'll want to make sure you're grabbing recent books/articles. Many, if not most libraries have their catalogs and access to databases like Lexus-Nexus or other compilations of articles online. You might want to see if your school's library has a website, or head over to the library and talk to a helpful and friendly librarian.

The Web is another place to look, but evaluating web sources can be tricky. (Oh Hanne? Wherever did you put that great essay about that? :)

Let me refer you to http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/research/

for more information than you ever wanted about finding sources, evaluating sources, and writing research papers.

Now that I've rambled about generals, there are some sites linked to off of Scarleteen that offer information about sexuality and sex education, as well as a list of book recommendations, and I am sure people could recommend some good sites/books. You might also want to check out http://www.plannedparenthood.org and see what kinds of books and sources they recommend as well.

Erin, taking off the teacher hat.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, some places they don't even have sex-ed...so something is better than nothing at all! I went to Christian school, and they taught us nothing except that if we had sex before marriage, we were going to hell. Now not all Christian schools are like that, but ours was. These people didn't even teach their daughters about periods and stuff like that. And as far as sex goes, we were supposed to make sure we had our bodies covered up and stuff because we didn't want to cause a guy to have a sexual thought and maybe get an erection *gasp*! It was really sad. My best friend and I basically were the sex-ed class. My mom is a nurse, and her mom is really open with her about that stuff too, so it came down to being up to us to explain things to our friends. You would think that things like people calling you at 1am and crying about where this blood is coming from doesn't happen anymore...but I can tell you that it does! So my thought is that some education is better than nothing.

But I would like to add that it's not so much that I think teaching abstinence is wrong, I mean, that's about as safe as you can get...I just think that other options need to be presented too.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"If it is your time, love will track you down like a cruise missile."
~Lynda Barry

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 02 November 2000).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xena59579
Neophyte
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xena59579     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help and the sites. I am planning on putting in my paper things such as how schools aren't really taught anything and the benefits of why teens should know. Also, statistics would be handy. That paper is what led me to this site and I'm glad, b/c I plan on using it even after the paper.
Posts: 6 | From: Boothwyn, PA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ErinK, and anyone else --

My rant on using the web for research may be found here: http://stanley.feldberg.brandeis.edu/~blank/writeweb/admin/rant.htm

Enjoy.

(Bet most of you never knew I used to be a university writing instructor, didja?)

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My school didn't even teach safe sex in health because it was a Catholic school. We did learn about all the STD's out there but then the teacher would say, "And that's why abstincence is so important."

We really didn't learn about condoms and birth control until my SENIOR year in a class called "Christian Lifestyles." There really wasn't anything about using condoms in the class but the teacher thought it would be a "good thing" to add it in. And everyone in the class agreed, we learned it just a tad bit late.

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You flicker. And you're beautiful. You glow inside my head. You hold me hypnotized, I'm mesmerized..."
My Webpage-Alisons Life

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildChica
Activist
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildChica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had sex ed from 6th-9th grade, then in my child/family development class. And they were definately fabulous classes. But maybe that's just because I'm in California? I think it should be standard to teach about STD's and safe sex. It's crazy that most states are only telling children to not have sex, instead of informing them about it.

J.

------------------
"Her laugh turned to a moan at the first ripple in her bones.
She tensed her thighs and abdomen to will the change on, and
clutched the night air like a lover as her fingers lengthened
and her nails sprouted...The night, she thought, the sweet night"

Posts: 87 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow i must be lucky. i got health in 7th and 11th grade and a sex-ed unit was it both. in 7th grade we got anatomy worksheets (really detailed ones), were told that only condoms protected against STDS but that they could break, got some rudimentary statistics on other birthcontrol (i think they wanted to stress condom use above other birthcontrols because of the disease angle), spent 2 days learing the minuta of HIV and other STDS and gettting really scared, were told horomnes and the resualting urges were natural but that there were many reasons we might not want to act on them (social, moral, disease etc) and got a week of info on rape and sexual harasment. lot's of scare factor, yes, but decent information too. in 11th grade they didnt' try to scare us, they jsut gave us statistics on various forms of birthcontrol and talked about the fact taht different people have differnt morals on it all. i think the program was designed not to offend parents, especially since our parents had a choice on wether or not we were in the room for the unit during 7th grade - if we didnt' get a permission slip signed we had to go to study hall instead.

------------------
"-and i hope i'm not shooting my mouth off...again...and i pray i'm not tempting the fates....."
-james, off millionaires

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.