Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Don't forget to spay and neuter your ... humans?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't forget to spay and neuter your ... humans?
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, i've noticed this board has been a little ... uhh ... dead lately, so i figured i'd start a new topic, if that's okie

I've read a lot on here about people that are having unprotected sex ... and to be blunt, i think it really bites. I understand that people make mistakes, but to come on here and post over and over about how "he didn't want to" or "we didn't have one" or a billion other reasons there are ... it's just pointless. So, i've come to the conclusion that all people should be spayed and neutered.

Yes, you heard me ... chop off all the important sex organs that could possible be of any pleasure and use and therefore we have no more STD's and teenage pregnancies and the debate over abortions and all that other stuff that no one wants to get into (this is about spaying and neutering your humans, not whether abortions are right or wrong)

Why chop off the sex organs? Hmm, i see them as a privlege really. If you can't use them responsibly, then you shouldn't have them. If you want to go around spreading your sperm (excuse me if i'm too blunt right now) like an animal, then you should be treated like an animal and not have that option. And this isn't only towards men, this is to everyone, in general. Just think about it, this would clear everything all up ... No one would have to worry about anything. The world would be fine, we could clone people and then who would need reproduction?

Yes, i have a weird twist on this topic, and maybe i'm being a bit of a smart*ss, but i've just been a bit ticked at some of the people who post here, as if they don't know any better. Schools either teach safe sex or abstinence ... soooo getting an STD or getting pregnant would be following which of those? I'm not saying you have to listen/do everything you hear, but think!! And by having unprotected sex you're definately not thinking w/ the head on your shoulders ... dunno which other head would be left for the rest of us.

Okie i'm really sorry if i offended anyone, i just had to get that off my chest. I've been wanting to write this for about a week, but i wasn't sure how to word it exactly.

Anyone have any input ... ?? Good? Bad? Both?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wholeheartedly agree.

Stupidity irritates me no end, and I find that sort of irresponsibility highly annoying.

However, I should point this out:
As I understand it, the purpose of these boards are to promote sexual health in the community as a whole, and particularly in those under 18.

Therefore, while its good for Miz Scarlet and co. to say "use condoms", its also bad for them to get especially angry at someone because they didn't. Its justifiable, but not very constructive.

At the end of the day, not everyone gets the message. While apportioning blame feels nice for us smug types, its not going to help them, or their future sexual partners much at all.

------------------
Sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice
Crazy like a shoehorn, bay-be!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to add a few comments here.

Though I know this post was tongue-in-cheek, let's pretend that it wasn't, just for the sake of really exploring the matter.

So long as you have human beings in this environment, there will be disease, and much of it can be spread. You can chop off all you want, but most humans will find ways to relate to other humans both ohsyically and emotionally. In general, the bigger issue (especially when you look at communicable disease statistics for culutres which are far more socially conscious) is that people simply have to be able to look beyond their backyard. Most people assume that any risks they take are simply that -- the risks they and their partners choose to take, rather than seeing the larger picture which is that they are choosing to take risks for ALL of us.

I agree that that is infuriating and very frustrating. I also recognize that it is part of the nature of the beast, especially in modern culture. How much simpler it was, for instance, to think of your whole community when you knew all of them, and how your lives and welfare were interrelated was obvious every day. But that isn't the case now, and for many people, it is hard to understand.

ThisGuy, I truthfully don't think it is your place to assume what is or isn't acceptable to get us upset, or even venture to guess at how upset something does or doesn't make us. I also truly take offense at being told how constructive something may or may not be in this forum which we devote endless hours of unpaid time to, and need to operate in a certain way which rpovides the appropriate level or responsibility, accountability and education on our part.

In those instances where we are upset that those who know better -- and those who we know through the boards -- take risks recklessly when they have had the information, I not only feel it is fine to be upset by those actions, but that our being sincere and honest in our reactions is the only thing we can do to make our feelings clear. Calling that smugness is patently ridiculous, it is a deep care, which frankly, is very difficult to understand unless you work in this position of doing whatever can be done to help thousands of people daily asking for your help.

Without being too pointed, I truly have to ask that you take a look at the larger perspective here, and put yourself in a different position in which tyou have a far, far greater amount of accounatbility, responsibility and credibility.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LilBlueSmurf:
Schools either teach safe sex or abstinence
[/B]

Grrr! I've only had 40 minutes of in school sex ed in my entire life. Good thing I'm curious and I found this stuff out on my own. I hate to think of all the people who went to my old school who have unprotected sex.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what Poetgirl just said warrants some good attention.

We can't expect anyone -- schools, families, what have you -- to teach us everything we need to know. When we choose to do something which involves some knowledge, while I think it is good for our schools and families to provide information -- I think it is also our own impetus and responsibility to seek it out.

Put it this way: because I went to an arts school, there was no Driver's Ed. Now, I don't think that would been the fault of the school if I had decided to jump in a car and take it on the highway (probably getting in a huge accident) on my own, without figuring out another way to learn how to drive. Because I wanted to drive eventually, it was my responsiblity to seek out a safe way to learn and to get all the information I needed to get a license. Just like no one *made* me want to drive, no one *made* me want to have sex. It's your choice, therefore it is largely your responsibility.

Make sense?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to comment that that post was NOT intended to cast a slur on the management of this board, or the manner in which they conduct themselves. I wouldn't be here either as a poster or a moderator, if I thought so little of them.

I was trying to point out that, while getting vindictively angry with people who don't practise safe sex is justifiable, it is also a poor approach. Education - even if it is harshly presented - is better than righteous anger at getting a point across.

It struck me that the approach of this board was not that of righteous anger and scorn, but more an attempt at being actually educational - even if you have to use the word "idiot" a few times to get the point across.

And no, this is not backpedalling. You wanna see backpedalling, try screwing with the gearing on your bike.

------------------
Sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice
Crazy like a shoehorn, bay-be!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the sake of not arguing, I think it's a darn good idea. But I have a better one. When you're born the doctors remove whatever you have, and once you've been proven you're responsible enough you can get 'em back. Kinda like you get your drivers liscense but with better rewards

And yeah, I too had my 40 minutes of sex ed in fifth grade which was more about bras, menstration, etc than the 5 minutes about how you should be abstinate. In eighth grade we're *supposed* to cover it all again but somehow my health teacher skipped over it.

Fortunatly I'm a natural Curious Georgette and I found this site too But, I will give credit to my health teacher this year, he's really cool and I think he'll actually give us good information.

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I know some of this is tongue-and-cheek, but I do think it is worth cautiously mentioning that this kind of thinking in earnest can be VERY dangerous.

Female genital mutilation is a very good -- and terrifying -- example.

Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and if you don't know tongue-in-cheek means joking around. I had to go ask my english teacher because I wasn't quite sure. FGM is very serios, very scary, mondo not cool. If people would just be responsible... *sigh* I'm a little upset right now.

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know female mutilation and stuff is very serious, and that's why i mentioned about the lil "twist" in the first post ... I'm not looking at this from a serious standpoint, it was just a thought i had a while ago, and i thought i should post it.

I thought maybe this would be a different way of looking at it ... to show people just how ignorant some of us are, w/o even realizing it (when i say "us", i mean everyone ... everyone makes mistakes, even *me*!!)

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.