Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Are YOU for eighty-six?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are YOU for eighty-six?
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post

I'm sorry that I ripped off this title from a cyberpunk short story, but I liked it too much.

What do you guys think about this issue?

"There's only now, there's only this/Forget regret or life is yours to miss/No other road, no other way/No day but today..."~"Mimi" in "Another Day," from RENT, by Jonathan Larson

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what a woman needs is her own business, and not anybody else's.

where is fancy bred? In the heart, or in the head?

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that they should just let the med. come out. It's better than teens having their baby's and dumping them into dumpsters. Isn't it. It's a women choice if she wants to keep the child or not.
Posts: 71 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am pro choice. My choice is that abortion is wrong....for me. This drug is better then having a baby then dumping it or killing it or what not. Or trying dangerous methods of abortion such as using wire coat hangers. If someone feels that there is absolutely no other choice that they can make then just as long as i am not forced to see hear or know about it its fine. (abortion threads here dont bother me because i dont HAVE to see them)

The reason i am against abortion is that if someone is responsible enough to terminate the life of an unborn baby then they should have been responible enough to use birth control or not have sex in the first place. I am tired of seeing 15 year old girls getting abortions because they didnt want to use a condom. And what i think is worse then that is when abortions are repeated. No one should have to get more then one abortion.

If i was raped and became pregnant (which i heard is not very common) or if i had a deadly disease that would no doubt be passed to the baby then i would *consider* an abortion.

I think this drug should be prescribed only after counseling and a hard look at all the options open to the mother. I think this with all abortions, or giving a child up for odoption.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jupiter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm for it, as long as the woman is informed of the risks and the benefits. I'm also vehemently pro-choice. I think it's amazing, the way that people debate when a fetus is alive and whether or not abortion is murder. So many zygotes every year spontaneously abort because of some genetic **** -up - nobody suggests that the fetuses are suicidal, or sets up Samaritan hotlines to the womb. Even if you wish to call it a religious issue, remember that up until the nineteenth or twentieth century, religious authorities dictated that the fetus wasn't alive until the fourth or fifth month - the "quickening", when they could feel the baby kicking. The current debate over RU-486, early abortions, etc. seems to me to be particularly senseless and to be yet another way to restrict the freedom of women and their choices about how to best run their bodies.
Posts: 55 | From: West Sand Lake (aka Cow Pasture), NY | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lintu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much agree with Etch. I think a woman should be able to choose what happens to her body, because if they cannot terminate their pregnancy legally, they might turn to unqualified "doctors" or even try to give themselves an abortion with everything from coathangers to crochet hooks to simply falling down a flight of stairs.

However, I personally don't support abortion, unless the girl was raped or if it will cause serious harm to the mother. People say this isn't fair to the child to have to be raised by an unfit mother, but that's why we have adoption. There are so many women who cannot have children on their own, and others who have genetic diseases that they'd prefer not to pass to their children. Why not solve two problems at once by relieving the birth mother of a responsibility she might not be ready for and giving the child to a family who is ready and willing to care for a baby?

Jupiter, I don't quite understand the connection between spontaneous fetal abortion and fetal suicide. A fetus aborting due to a genetic problem seems no different to me than a living person (as in out of the womb) dying because their heart is too weak or their lungs never developed.

Posts: 33 | From: Dallas, TX, USA (sometimes) | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shortee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am pro choice in most casez......i think some formz of abortion are OK depending on tha circumstancez surrounding tha woman......i think you should have an abortion if you feel it iz not only in YOUR best intersest but that of tha fetus az well.....HOWEVER i DO NOT think that abortion should be used az a regular form of birth control......either wrap it up or keep your legz shut

Posts: 3 | From: Grand Junction,Colorado,USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we can all agree that abortion is not a form of contraception. COntraception means something that prevents conception from taking place... abortion clearly is not that, even on technical grounds.

I'm glad to see people having a pretty moderate discussion about this issue. It's a touchy topic, and just so y'all know, if this convo continues in this vein, that's fine, but flaming will not be tolerated (you all know that about Scarleteen already, though). "I believe" and "For me" and "My opinion is..." statements are VERY useful, particularly when we're on such a volatile subject, and I am glad to see you guys using them.

For my part, and I talked a little about this in another post on the subject of RU486, I am pro-choice and pro-RU486, as is Miz Scarlet.

Let's please not try to judge people's reasons for needing abortions. It isn't as simple as "wrap it or keep your legs shut." ALL birth control methods have some failure rate. ALL of them. Even when used correctly. Sometimes the body outsmarts the technology, and that's just the way it is. There are MANY reasons that responsible women who DO take care of their health and their reproductive health can end up pregnant when they do not want to be. You might end up being one of them someday, or you might know someone who is. I was: I got pregnant on the Pill, and didn't find out until afterwards that I had an underlying hormonal condition that made the Pill less effective for me. It happens. And it happens fairly frequently.

It is not up to any of us to second-guess a woman's reasons for choosing an abortion, or to assume that she was irresponsible in any way if she becomes pregnant when she does not wish to be. It happens. Fortunately, we live in a country where women with unwanted pregnancies are not forced to give birth, and that's something we should be grateful for.

Whether any one of us, individually, has had or would have an abortion is a personal decision. It is up to you to decide what is right for you, and up to other women to decide what is right for them. Preserving the right to make that decision, so that women HAVE a choice to make, is important: the choice is not as simple as "use contraception or don't have sex." That is the FIRST decision to make. But sometimes, there is another decision to make, and it is important that it *is* a decision that can be made.

On a slightly different note -- on my car, I have a bumper sticker that reads "If you can't trust me to make a choice, how can you trust me with a child?"

I think that's something worth considering.

Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.