Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Social Responsibility

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Social Responsibility
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Overall, countries and nations with lower STD/STI rates are often those where it's citizens have a well-developed sense of social responsibility.

Every part of life has risks, sex included. But there is a difference is risking ourselves and our immediate familes and relationships, and doing something which years down the line, puts people at risk who we may never even meet.

Do you consider the impact on the world that your personal sexual choices may have, or not? How much DOES it impact you? Are you aware of the residual effects that NOT practicing safer sex can have down the road, outside your own life?

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 09 July 2000).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildChica
Activist
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildChica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definately take in to consideration what effect I could be having on others by my own sexual actions. When ever a new partner and I are getting ready for sex, I make sure we both go in to get tested at least twice, and when we do finally have sex, a condom is used. I don't think that other peoples actions should be able to kill me. But they can, so I'm forced to take these precautions that I feel I shouldn't have to take. If everyone was careful, and everyone got tested, we would slowly be able to start diminishing these diseases. It's completely unfair to have to do these things, but we have to if we want to live.
Posts: 87 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just today, a European report listed that it's STD rates in youth have TRIPLED over the last nine years, and the study that revealed that mentioned that 70% of the reported cases were due to NO condom use.

In other words, people's "personal choices" and becomeing serious public problems.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
perhaps it is not wise to mix up "personal choice" with "personal responsiblity." yes, choices like choosing to not use protection or engaging in other risky sexual behaviours are selfish, but they are personal choices. however, they are extremely irresponsible decisions that will lead to consequences like STDs, death, etc.

personally, i prefer to think that i alone am responsible for my actions and i alone have to deal with their ramifications. when it comes to partners, i still believe that what they do has little bearing on me. i should be the one to be proactive and askthem to use a condom, or go get tested or whatever have you.

i will admit i have little sense of social responsibility -- i am selfish in the way that i look out for #1. but i acknowledge that for whatever choices i make, i have to deal with their consequences.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loveable me
Neophyte
Member # 2915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loveable me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to debate you on that point. Denmark has very high rates of both these diseases and yet has one of the strongest ethics of both social and personal responsibility anywhere in the world. I think it is because condom use has been so low until recently and because not much attention was drawn to these diseases. And this takes place in an environment where sex is not so scarce as in the US. I did not even think about asking a guy to use a condom from the time i was 14 until i was in my late 20's because i was on the P-pill and all we heard about was Hiv/Aids which is not a big problem.

[This message has been edited by loveable me (edited 04-09-2001).]

Posts: 28 | From: København, Denamrk | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I'm not sure where the debate is.

That's exactly the point I was making when I opened this thread.

quote:
Overall, countries and nations with lower STD/STI rates are often those where it's citizens have a well-developed sense of social responsibility.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think 'debate' because she was contradicting you in saying:
----
Denmark has very high rates of both these diseases *and yet* has one of the strongest ethics of both social and personal responsibility anywhere in the world.
----
What confused me was, if Denmark has 'high rates' of HIV/AIDS because people there don't use condoms because 'all you hear about is HIV/AIDS which isn't much of a problem'... Well, is HIV/AIDS much of a problem, or isn't it? Was it not a problem a few years ago and now it is because it wasn't publicized enough? I'm confused.

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MizS - Do you have a citacion for the inverse correlation between STD prevalence and social responsibility? What was being used as a measure of a population's sense of social responsibility? Who conducted the research?

Sorry, but talking about a correlation between something as hard to measure as "population's sense of social responsibility" on as large a scale as "countries/nations" and as charged/personal an issue as STDs... it just sets off my psychologists' study-reading warning bells. It also seems like it'd be darn hard to find good controls when comparing nations, and there's a lot to control for here: cultural taboos, sex education/safer sex availability, financial means, what groups of people are having sex with who at what age and how often... And then other vectors of transmission, too. I've heard (though not confirmed) that a LOT of the AIDS problem in parts of Africa is not sexually transmitted, but is still transmitted by blood transfusions and cultural rituals involving contact with blood.

Anyway, I'd be really interested in reading the study you're talking about, if you know what it is.

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 04-09-2001).]

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

It's simply a general observation of mine. It's nothing written in stone, not anything I'm saying is doctrine.

Looking at the differences between say, a country like Sweden or the Netherlands and the US, where we can look at STD data and have a general sense for social responsibility levels.

And yes, I agree with you -- there are a LOT of factors to consider. And agreed on the Africa score as well.

And thanks for clearing up what was being said by loveable, though I actually haven't seen any stats to indicate that Denmark does have a notooriously high HIV rate. I'd have to look again.

(Did you want the URL for the recent report regarding the European rates?)

loveable me
Neophyte
Member # 2915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loveable me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. I guess i don't fully understand all the abbreviatons. In Denmark, we have very low rates of Hiv/Aids, but very high rates of klamydia (i don't know how to spell it in english) and hpv (?). We heard a lot about aids, but nothing about the last two...until recently.
Posts: 28 | From: København, Denamrk | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Miz Scarlet, could I have that url?

I'd just like to read the report, that's all.

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

But o'course. http://unisci.com/stories/20012/0403015.htm

Would you guys/gals LIKE a sexuality newslog? It's certainly something we could add if it's something you;d use.

$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Miz Scarlet.

And yeah, I think that'd be pretty interesting, and beneficial in some ways.

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.