Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Scarleteen Artists?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scarleteen Artists?
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there are lots of artists here at Scarleteen! So my question is - what types of art do you make or like?

I really like all forms, but I enjoy ceramics and printmaking the most. I have dabbled in painting, metal working, photography..I like to try it all! I think fabric is fun to work with too, and I like to add it to a lot of what I make.

I don't really know what my "style" is - my professor called it "feminine feminism" once. I like take a lot of old practices like quilting and add it to more modern things. I really admire the crafts from the "olden days" and I am trying to learn them all!

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhImpecuniousOne
Activist
Member # 110155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OhImpecuniousOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wahay, art! The thing I probably do most of is 3D modelling and texturing, 'cause I'm part of a big fan community that sort of gives me motivation to get on with that. And I love it, because it blends the creative aspects with the technical, fiddling-with-numbers bits, which ends up being quite balanced to my mind.

I also do embroidery, and a certain amount of writing... I want to get into sewing, largely because it's impossible to find clothes that fit my figure on the high street. A while ago some friends offered to give me their old sewing machine, but I managed to forget all about it and leave it in their house when we drove home to a completely different city. I'll get there eventually, though...

Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CraftyKid: if you look around for "cultural feminism," you'll find a lot that addresses that interest! That's a branch of feminism that basically focuses on what the work of women has been, including household work and arts like quilting. It's a pretty cool branch!

(Also, I assume you've already seen Judy Chicago's amazing piece, "The Dinner Table?" If not, go look that up: I think you'll be in love. [Smile] )

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by OhImpecuniousOne:
Wahay, art! The thing I probably do most of is 3D modelling and texturing, 'cause I'm part of a big fan community that sort of gives me motivation to get on with that. And I love it, because it blends the creative aspects with the technical, fiddling-with-numbers bits, which ends up being quite balanced to my mind.

I also do embroidery, and a certain amount of writing... I want to get into sewing, largely because it's impossible to find clothes that fit my figure on the high street. A while ago some friends offered to give me their old sewing machine, but I managed to forget all about it and leave it in their house when we drove home to a completely different city. I'll get there eventually, though...

That is really cool!

I would love to get into embroidery more and also sewing. I think making your own clothes would be fun.

I saw this blog once of this person who went to Goodwill and bought old clothes and then completely reworked them into new outfits and donated them. I thought that was pretty neat and I'd like to do something like that!

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
CraftyKid: if you look around for "cultural feminism," you'll find a lot that addresses that interest! That's a branch of feminism that basically focuses on what the work of women has been, including household work and arts like quilting. It's a pretty cool branch!

(Also, I assume you've already seen Judy Chicago's amazing piece, "The Dinner Table?" If not, go look that up: I think you'll be in love. [Smile] )

That sounds AWESOME Heather! I did not know that existed! I will definitely check out "cultural feminism". That is everything that I love!

Also, EEEEEEE!!! yes I have seen the amazing "Dinner Table"! I was assigned a book by her in school and I loved it. I wanted to visit "The Dinner Table" for myself and got the chance a few years ago on a school trip! It was like meeting a celebrity for me! I think I stood around there for a good 45 minutes or so taking it all in. She is one of my heroes.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a similar vein, you should check out Kara Walker, if you do not know her. She basically takes the traditional Americana silhouette and massively turns it on its head, using it to illustrate things like the cruelty of slavery. It is an amazingly powerful play on something so traditional and typically quaint.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Cool, thanks Heather! That sounds like someone that I would really like!
Heather
Member # 3

She's pretty amazing.

Btw, photographer, creative writer and musician over here, tossing my arts into the proverbial Scarleteen-artist-busker-bin. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

I checked out Kara Walker's work - it's wonderful and I love it. I watched a neat video about her on Art21 (one of my favorite sites!)

Welcome to the busker bin Heather [Smile] I like creative writing too.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.