Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Making a decision about my cat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Making a decision about my cat
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple months ago, just as I was moving into my apartment, I ended up taking in a stray cat.

He's a really, really sweet cat. And he really kept me company when I first moved, didn't know anyone, and was lonely.

But the thing is, my life is picking up now. I have friends, and I'm unbelievably busy with school. sometimes I will leave for school around 8, and between classes, studying, and my organization, I don't get home until about 10.

My bed is COVERED in hair, and even if i clean it, he sheds all over it again the next day. Even if I clean the litter box before i leave in the morning, my whole bedroom/bathroom area smells horrible when I get home. It's to the point where I'd be embarrassed to have someone over without enough notice for me to completely clean/mop my bathroom before they get here. I can't move him into another area of the house because one of my roommates is allergic. She's moving out in a couple months, but I still don't know where I would put the box. The laundry room is very small and too close to the kitchen.

Also, I really wanted to do some traveling over the summer, and I don't have anyone who can watch him for me. Nor do I have the money to board him for 2 weeks, or want to subject him to living alone in a cage with no interaction for that long.

The only thing is, I've already put SO much money into him. I've had him neutered, gotten his shots, and all the food/littler/cat supplies it requires to have a cat. And also, He's a really nice cat, and I'd hate the idea of him going to someone who's not going to take care of him, or leave him outside where he can get hit by a car or something. Also, I'm afraid that it will get lonely here over the summer when everyone is gone.

What do you guys think?

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I also posted this on a board pertaining to animals, and was pretty much ATTACKED.

Apparently, choosing to take in a stray animal is such a binding life decision that I'm supposed to prioritize it above things like my schoolwork, my friends, and being able to see my family.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh; I'm sorry about that other board. How judgemental and silly.

I'm also sorry you're struggling with such a difficult descision.

Is taking this cat to an animal shelter an option for you at all?

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear about that other board too. Do you think that you could call around and see if there is anyone you know who might know someone that would want the cat and that would take care of it. An idea too, is to call around to local schools (High Schools and Universities/Colleges) to see if they have an SPCA club (students for the prevention of cruelty to animals) that might know someone who'd take the cat in.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janie Jones
Neophyte
Member # 46161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janie Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not having enough time for an animal is a valid reason to try and find a new home for them. I'm not sure where you live, but most states have a Craigslist for their area with a pet section that is for people trying to re-home animals. You could also try and put up posters at animal related places, like pet supply stores. Definitely get the word out to your friends and family to see if anyone you know or they know wants a nice cat. Maybe contact the vet that you had do his vaccines, etc., and see if they have any clients that might want to take him.

--------------------
I don't want you to settle, I want you to grow.

Posts: 21 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Sorry I pretty much ignored all your posts.

Not long after I posted this, I made a decision to keep him, but move him outside my bedroom once my allergic roommate moves out.

I'm starting to re-question that idea. My room is starting to smell a bit like urine, and in the last week he's pooped under my bed 3 times.

I'm starting to realize that moving him outside my room is probably just going to make the rest of my apartment stink, and affect no just me but my roommates as well.

But the thing is, I'm kind of attached.

It's kind of silly, because he likes to annoy me when I'm studying, he gets cat hair all over my clothes, and a couple nights ago, he kept me awake all night with his meowing.

But the thing is, sometimes i feel like he's my only reliable friend. And I hate the idea of him going to someone, and them deciding to sump him off in the woods of give him to a shelter that euthanizes...

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love cats; but I do see your dilemma! This may sound dumb, but maybe some regular grooming (brushing your cat) might alleviate some of the "fly-away hairs" all over your bed and clothes. I never brush my cat's fur; but I've heard that this might help.

Do you have any friends or relatives that you know would take care of your cat for you? That way, you could always visit him and it wouldn't feel like you're leaving him for good. [Smile] Maybe you can try things out with him for another few days; and if things do not work, you could always call some friends and see if they can take him; or know of someone else who can take him.

You can put an ad in the Classified section of the paper and put something like, "Needs good, loving home" or "is a family pet." Those types of phrases might attract people who would really want to take good care of their pet.

I'm sorry that that other site was so rude. I am an animal lover as well, but I certainly do not see any issue with your post. You are an even wiser and better pet owner for understanding the responsibility that is needed to own a pet. [Smile]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, this is way outside what we do, but as an allergic person who has had cats, another thing that can help is getting wet wipes from the pet store made for cats, and wiping your cat a few times a day.

That helps take care of some extra shedding and also helps dilute their dander, which is what we're allergic to when we're allergic to cats.

Too, if he was a stray, he's pretty much only learned to use the bathroom everywhere, so you're basically going to have to put effort into training him to use the litterbox. You might get a crate for him to keep him in when you're not home or not awake, and otherwise, keep taking him to that litterbox: like, carrying him there frequently.

But if all else fails, know there are rescues and no-kill shelters you can look into.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janie Jones
Neophyte
Member # 46161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janie Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a brush called the "furminator" that really gets all the loose hair out, and can help a lot with shedding. Look for it online though, as they can be very expensive in pet supply stores.

In regards to the litter box issues, I agree with Heather. As for the smell, you could try different types of cat litter, and maybe change what he is eating. Wet canned food is usually better than dry food.

"Sometimes I feel like he's my only reliable friend" - That is the great thing about most animals; they are there for us when we need them. [Smile] I would swear that my parent's cat knew when I was having a crappy day, as she would seek me out and insist on cuddling.

If you really do feel like you can't keep him there are definitely options other than shelters that euthanize for space. Like I said in my other post, contacting the vet you use is always a good option. They will know who takes good care of their animals as they will see them year after year.

[ 05-20-2012, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Janie Jones ]

--------------------
I don't want you to settle, I want you to grow.

Posts: 21 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Well, I think i may have solved it.

I moved him out of my room. Keeping him in the main part of the apartment has eliminated the hair on the bed problem, and he hasn't used the bathroom outside the litter box once. I think maybe he was just having trouble adjusting to the kitty door on it.

He seems a lot happier now that he has more freedom to move around.

I also cleared out the closet under the stairs for him. It smells a little funny in there, but not bad enough that it can be smelled outside of the closet. I think i'll just get one of those room deodorizers and everything should be fine.

Mi
Neophyte
Member # 95865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two long haired cats in my somewhat small apartment. I know how difficult and fuzzy it can be. =)

I clean the litter box everyday. Takes just a few minutes and keeps things smelling okay.

I feed them wet food majority of the time. With wet food they don't go to the bathroom as much and it doesn't smell as bad. Also it makes their fur super shiny and there is WAY LESS dandruff than when I feed them dry food. I can tell a difference.

I also brush them whenever I'm watching tv or doing something lazy.

Invest in a sticky roller. Always. =)

Good luck

Posts: 5 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.