Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Your Feedback on Older Adults at the Boards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your Feedback on Older Adults at the Boards
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had threads and discussions about this before here, but it seems like it's time to have one again. Figure this is an ongoing issue, and one we're always interested in your feedback with, and will always lead with your feedback with. We've recently gotten some feedback from some of our users uncomfortable with some older adult participation, so I wanted to check in with you again on this.

So, the issue is this: adults in this space who are NOT staff or volunteers and what all of you -- let's say our users under 25 -- are and are not comfortable with. Actually, no sense not including any of us in the latter group, too, so figure you can also talk about/include staff and volunteers.

1) Scarleteen primarily serves users under 25, and having just finished a recent demographic study, we know the majority of our users to be 16-22. That given who IS an adult user? What age would a person be who you, as users, would consider outside who this space is for, and outside your peer group?

2) When whoever those people are who are here, what guidelines would you see as important for them in participating in areas like the boards? What do you need around this for this to feel like safe space for you and space that's really for and about you?

3) What, if anything, are you strongly uncomfortable with around adult or older adult participation?

4) What, if anything, do you see as a positive from that participation, or do you want from that participation?

(Just one thing to know: having me not around or here isn't an option, because I have yet to find anyone else who even wants to sub for my job as ED here, let alone take it over! [Razz] )

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.