Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Working in counselling- advice on education pathways

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Working in counselling- advice on education pathways
May Day
Member # 39174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for May Day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

This is my final semester of study, I'll be graduating with double BAs (communications/cultural studies), (social Sciences). Since i stepped into Uni straight from high school, i am really looking forward to easing up the full time studying next year and trying new things. Like for example, i wanna get overseas (specifically China, if you know any organisations that could help me achieve this, please help).

[trigger warnings: sexual abuse within relationships]

Anyway, after my first partner being abusive, that leaving me with some really horrible PTSD and getting myself into various counselling, i've realised that what i want to do in my career is counsel. Specifically working with women and victims of domestic and sexual violence. I'm also interested in working with young people, like at a tertiary institute health clinic, or even with children because that's an area i believe is sorely lacking support currently in Australia ( [Frown] )

That means more full time study (Not for at least a year, i need a break plus it's pretty close to home emotionally still ya know?) through either pyschology or social work path ways. Either will probably recognise my prior study, but i'll still have a lot of work to do.
To decide which qualifications i should aim for i'm getting in touch with different state and national organisations about which pathway would be better for me to access that specific field. For example, all the counsellors at my university are pyschologists, and my current (and wonderful) counsellor is a clinical pyschologist. When i was at a counselling centre for sexual assault victims, i got bumped up to a pyschologist but i'm not sure what the original counsellor i saw was qualified in.

If anyone here could share their insight from working in the fields of counselling, specifically working with sexual and domestic violence victims, i would really appreciate the support and information.

Posts: 172 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3