Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Organic, Eco Friendly, and/or good cause supporting dorm supplies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Organic, Eco Friendly, and/or good cause supporting dorm supplies?
Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaydee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to start shopping for my dorm now while the season is here even though I am not going until January. I prefer to buy things that some how positively impact the environment/people/animals but I have been having trouble in the dorm department. Help?

--------------------
- Kaydee

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein

Posts: 55 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucidkitty
Activist
Member # 49104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucidkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now did you mean eco friendly in terms of green materials or just in terms of say buying recycled things? You can get a lot of say linens and towels made of hemp or organic cotton from bed bath and beyond. Thegreenofficesupply sells a most of your supplies including backpacks, and they rate products by how green they are! And make your own cleaning supplies, much cheaper =).Also check out the link i have.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/09/green_your_dorm.php

[ 09-30-2010, 07:00 AM: Message edited by: lucidkitty ]

Posts: 84 | From: baltimore,maryland | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaydee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I meant eco friendly in terms of both green materials and buying recycled things. Until now the only thing I really found that was really eco friendly was bamboo sheets but they cost so much that I wasn't able to afford them.

--------------------
- Kaydee

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein

Posts: 55 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucidkitty
Activist
Member # 49104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucidkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well you know when i went to college i asked family if they had anything i could buy off of them [Smile] ....i mean it's recycled essentially.....and plus its better to help your family out with some extra money [Smile] . Of course nothing matched lol....but i was in college so who cares i guess.
Posts: 84 | From: baltimore,maryland | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralee
Peer Ambassador
Member # 43628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coralee         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, a good way to stay green is just to buy less stuff. Some stores have marketing that makes you think that moving into a dorm room requires you to buy enough stuff to fill a small house. Really, you can use a lot of the same stuff you used before college (your pillow, blanket, small lamp, towels, for example).
Posts: 143 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's also Goodwill and other thrift stores. Not only do you save money, but you also are recycling. With electronics, you want to check that they actually work first. Just ask the store and they should let you do so.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.