Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What would you like to see in a YA sexuality study?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What would you like to see in a YA sexuality study?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there!

In the next monthish, I'm going to start constructing a study for/about young people and both sex education (including how you use Scarleteen) and the realities of your sexual lives.

I have my own questions, and data I want to have documented for myself, but I think it'd also be great if it gave all of you information about your peers you're curious about.

So, what I'd like to do is just have you tell me questions (which would solicit answers) you'd like to see so I can be sure to collect data that is as useful/of interest to you as it would be to me or other adults.

Let me know!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Heather,

I just wanted to share an awesome survey which I think asks some really important questions in a supportive way and also covers some of the issues that you're talking about. This one is aimed at same-sex attracted young people aged 14-21 living in Australia. (PS- If any users here fit into that category, I encourage you to complete it!).

Some questions I particularly liked-
My school could better support my sexuality by..

In regard to being same sex attracted, name three things that would make a positive difference in your life.

Have you told the people below about your feelings of being attracted to people of your own sex? How supportive were they?

In what ways, if at all, has homophobia impacted on your schooling?
1. I couldn’t concentrate in class.
2. My marks dropped.
3. I moved schools.
4. I left school altogether.
5. I missed classes.
6. I missed days.
7. I hid at recess/ lunch.
8. I couldn’t go to the toilet.
9. I couldn’t use the change-rooms.
10. I dropped out of a sport/ extra-curricular activity.
11. I became involved in activism.
12. It hasn’t affected me at all.
13. Other

When thinking about Internet sites you belong to or visit often, which of the following statements are true for you? The site/s are a place where I…
1. …feel accepted
2. …feel safe
3. …can find others like me
4. …can find friends I can trust
5. …can disclose my sexuality
6. …can get help from others
7. …can help others
8. …can work for change around homophobia
9. …can feel proud about my sexuality

Anyway, here's the whole survey-
http://www.wti3.org.au/

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.