Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Update about .. me?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Update about .. me?
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, everyone! Nice to see everything's rolling on smoothly here still. :)

Things have been going differently on my end. I'm in therapy/on meds, and it's only skimming the surface of whatever is wrong with me. I feel tons of pressure to just "cheer up and feel better already", but it's not that easy. When I have to tell people that I'm on sick leave (I have been for 4 months), they look at me all quizzically, wondering what's wrong, and even remark to my partner how happy I look. It's freaking annoying, that because someone's using mental illness as an "excuse", they're not allowed to have normal or happy moments ever, because that means they can clearly control it and be that way all the time with "the right attitude".

Physically, there's some good news! With Heather's permission, I'll be editing in an update on my sexual pain In Your Own Words page to indicate that I am pain-free at last. After all those wacky treatments and expensive surgeries, a $10-for-50-days treatment of tricyclic antidepressants fixed me right up. Turns out I had undiagnosed diabetes, which became neuralgia.. not 100% yet, but so much better than I was.

On the other hand, I'm dealing with a new-but-old physical disability and I'm not sure what to think at this point. It's gotten difficult to walk any distance, climb stairs and I'm gaining weight. I now am walking with a cane, and have already noticed people looking at/treating me differently. It's hard to process, because I've always thought I "just walked a little funny", and my mom always talked about my hip dysplasia like something all babies get and grow out of. It wasn't until a male friend here mentioned he was born with the same thing and had to be put in a brace to avoid the problems I now have that I looked into it, and put it all together.

Anyway, I don't mean to write an incredibly long novel, but I needed to get this out somewhere, and this has always been about the safest place around for me and others to do that. It would also be great to get some input (and updates of your own - missed you guys!) from people who've been through similar. Thank you for reading. :)

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Lauren,

It's good to hear from you! I'm happy to hear about the improvements in your health and wish you the best with the challenges that continue. *So glad* to hear you are sexual pain-free at least but how incredibly nerve wracking to hear about the various misdiagnoses! Is it Type 1 or 2 diabetes, and how long have you had it? Why do you think it wasn't noticed by other doctors until now? Do you have a family history? (I ask because I'm curious about medical things!) I look forward to your article update, where I'm sure you'll answer those questions and more.

You know what I've been up to so I'll stop there and look forward to hearing more if and when you're available to share! [Smile] Best of luck with your recovery and I hope you can get off sick leave soon!

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Lauren,
I'm glad to read that things are starting to get better for you and that you are almost pain-free.

I'm sorry that you're feeling that pressure to "cheer up". It's clearly not that simple as anyone who has faced a mental illness can understand. Frankly, its not really anyone's business why you are on sick leave. You don't have to justify it to them, although I can understand wanting to.

Take care and hang in there.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.