Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Scarleteen Summer School?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scarleteen Summer School?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, y'all. I'm just fishing around per an idea I have had for a while about developing a training program for peer educators through Scarleteen. In so many ways, I feel like good peer-to-peer education is even more important than what we do, and so many of you would be great peer educators. Heck, many of you already are, albeit informally.

If I were to basically create beta-program for this this summer here (all online: there would be in-person work, but it'd be local to you), would any of you have interest? It'd likely run about six weeks, involve some reading, some footwork of your own where you are, and then a bunch of discussion stuff here at the boards. It would be no-cost to you.

If you would, would you drop a note here to let me know? Having some idea of the level of interest would be helpful to me in developing the program.

Thanks!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strumpet
Activist
Member # 36501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strumpet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that would be wicked awesome! i just started volunteering at Options Sexual Health (branch of Planned Parenthood) and i think that would really be a good kick in the butt for me.
Posts: 61 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great!

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dancrgrl         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds cool, Heather. Do you have any more information about what exactly it will entail, or are you still in the planning stages?

I've actually been looking for a way to get involved in health/sex ed for a while...I considered changing my major a couple of years ago, but I love history too much to give that up. This might be a good way to get me involved!

--------------------
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing" -Helen Keller

Posts: 76 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I'm still in the planning stages, but it'd probably run six weeks, and involve some reading each week, an in-person assignment local to each person, some writing and some discussion. My plan with this is also to have the doing of it leave each person with a very specific reference binder for their area you can use with peers.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Serafine
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 35002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serafine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd totally be up for it :3

--------------------
~Iris
quote:
Nominate Scarleteen for Our Bodies Ourselves Women’s Health Heroes Award!
The Ears to Listen and Understand: Heather Corinna
Rate 5 Stars , please! Until May 8th!

Posts: 82 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yes, yes!
Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVivian
Activist
Member # 38998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EVivian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be interested, depending on when and also what the footwork would involve.
Posts: 71 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
persephone91nin
Neophyte
Member # 37436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for persephone91nin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to get involved in some ort of sex-ed thing, but I'm not entirley undertanding what this is...
Posts: 17 | From: stepford | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd definitely be interested, although I should say I'll be out of the country (and almost completely internet-free) until the end of July from next week.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Still in the planning stages of this, so more information later, but I do have dates: we'll be starting this run of this on July 6th, and it will go for six weeks.

Due to some of the local things any of you will need to do, I would say that it's going to be important for anyone participating not to be traveling during the session. A week or weekend somewhere else likely won't be a barrier to doing this, but more than that would be a problem.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that case I guess it's not something I'm going to be able to do - I'd certainly be up for it if it's something you decide to do again.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I do expect we will: this time is basically a sort of beta-test, or first-run, of doing this. It's something I've been thinking about having as an ongoing part of Scarleteen for some time now.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Okay, so for those here interested, I have more information now that's solid. I'll be announcing this on the main site by the end of the week, but wanted to give board users the heads-up first.

The session will run from July 6th - August 14th. Those involved will need around 5-10 hours each week to dedicate to doing this, but when those hours are doesn't matter very much. In other words, what hours you work on this will be largely based on what hours work for you.

This is going to be a very self-directed/self-motivated course. Effectively, each week, you'll be learning based on reading assignments, a couple things you'll need to go out into your community for, board discussions (with me, possible assistants or guest teachers and each other), and then the compiling of a resource specific to your area, your peers you'd be working with, that'll be your take-away from this to use (and need in doing peer education), but also how you'll be doing a lot of the learning. What I'll need from you is some documentation of some of those community visits and then to see some of the pages from that resource you'll build.

If you're not good with self-motivating, this probably won't work for you. And I think I can safely say that when it comes to doing grassroots sex ed, period, self-motivation is a pretty important requirement.

I won't need IDs or anything like that for you to do this, since it just doesn't matter. However, if you want a certificate at the end that verifies you have done the course, or will want to use me or this course as a reference (which you can) or on a resume, I will need your legal names and postal addresses.

I would prefer that anyone involved is under 24. Adult sex educators we're not so short of in the world: it's peer educators I think everyone needs most, and the course will be geared to serving those under that age.

This first round, I am going to max out the group at 15, and do this on a first-come, first-served basis. Because once we start, we can't really have anyone else come in halfway through, if you're interested, I'd just make sure you do think all of this will work for you and be something you can commit to. If it isn't now, but is something you want to do later, go ahead and wait: my goal with this is to have this be something ongoing we do at Scarleteen 3-4 times a year. If it goes very well, it will probably also be a requirement for all new volunteers who don't have any other sex ed training from here on out.

Okay? If you've questions, you can leave them here. If you definitely want in, use the contact page at the main site to drop me an email. Looking forward to this!

(Oh, and volunteers absolutely can enroll if you like: this doesn't just have to be general users.)

[ 06-24-2009, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dancrgrl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Heather...my only concern is what the community visits involve...do you have anymore information on that? Thanks!

--------------------
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing" -Helen Keller

Posts: 76 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Sure. Still finishing getting solid on this, but it will probably involve things like visiting a local STI testing/sexual health clinic to ask them about their services, seeing how your local pharmacies handle Plan B, talking to someone at the police station about how a person would report a rape and what that process is like, etc.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh sick! that just makes me even more excited -- those community involvement things you mentioned, Heather, are all things I've been really interested in finding out about (especially asking local STI clinics about their services. I've been meaning to find that out for a little while now)

SUPER DUPER EXCITED NOW 8D HECK YES! <3

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Well, good!

Just FYI, when y'all go to these places, I'll give you sample scripts, and also a letter from me/Scarleteen that says you are training as a peer educator. That way, shier folks might feel a little more comfortable.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Just a correction: I'm moving this up one week, to start on 7/13, not 7/7.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Heather
Member # 3

And here's the bog entry with updated info: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather/2009/07/01/want_to_be_a_peer_sex_educator

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Just FYI, this got tweetmeme'd and seems to be filling up fast, so if you want to do this, be sure to get back to me ASAP.

Also, I'm drumming up a bunch of other cool mentors to be part of this with me, so you'll have some cool other people helping you out, too. [Smile]

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Just FYI, we have already overfilled this round of training. I got a LOT of responses, so I expanded the group size to 20.

But like I said, this is something I ideally want us to do a few/couple times a year from now on, so if this interests you, I anticipate doing it again around October.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaydee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am interested in joining this the next time it starts up.

--------------------
- Kaydee

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein

Posts: 55 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey this seems pretty cool. In the future I would defiantly be interested in this; not right away, but in a few years (once I myself had more personal experience and such) if it were still running it would be awesome!

You are absolutely on the right track with peer sex educators; much better to see a 17 year old explain this stuff than a grey haired nurse.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Just FYI? Ummm...some of us do have grey hair, gal. And I started getting mine when a lot of my family has, in my 20's.

Obviously, I agree there are big strengths in peer sex ed, but I think we can talk about them without going to lookism or ageism. [Razz] I also think we can recognize that different people have different strengths: for instance, a nurse is generally going to have more medical information she knows well and also has used in practice than someone like myself or than someone in high school.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaydee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea when the next session will start?

--------------------
- Kaydee

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Albert Einstein

Posts: 55 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Most likely in June, Kaydee. [Smile]

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

sunnyday
Activist
Member # 45219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnyday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in the next session, although I'm on the upper end of your age range.
Posts: 54 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rambly_rosa
Neophyte
Member # 45087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rambly_rosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also be interested in the next session - I'm hoping to start work at my school's Sexual Health Peer Resource Center, so any extra training I can get would be so useful =)
Posts: 9 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I'll keep everyone posted!

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

Thanks so much, I really want to be apart of this =]

--------------------
- Kaydee

Kaydee
Activist
Member # 41683

Is this still going to happen? Sorry to be a nag :/

--------------------
- Kaydee

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, it isn't. Heather put an announcement up on the main site a couple of months ago that explains why: Peer Sex Educator Training Announcement. So sorry!

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.