Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Case on rights of a young teen to deny medical treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Case on rights of a young teen to deny medical treatment
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not exactly sexuality-related, but it's going on in my state so I've been following it in the newspapers every morning. There's a 13-yr-old, Daniel Hauser, diagnosed with cancer, and he's rejecting treatment based on mostly religious reasons. Here's a little background, if you're not familiar:

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/45078517.html?elr=KArksUUUU

The judge ruled that he's not able to make a decision on his own and doesn't fully understand the consequences of denying treatment, and ordered him to go back for an X-Ray to see if the cancer is back. If it is, they're going to force him to have chemotherapy. Daniel's mother has disappeared with him and they're currently thought to be in California, trying to get to Mexico for alternative treatment.

So, I thought people here might have some interesting input. I think it's kind of related to young women having the right to make medical decisions re: abortions, although the stakes are maybe a little higher in this case. So, when is too young to be making a decision like that? How do we evaluate when a teen has the capacity to understand the medical choices they're making? Do you think the judge made the right decision? Do you think Daniel's parents have a case, since it seems like Daniel's wishes are in line with theirs? Just curious

[ 05-22-2009, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: StrangePudding ]

Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An article yesterday noted that the chest x-ray indicated that Daniel's cancer was progressing. Further, other discussions of the case indicated that doctors have estimated that his chances of survival with treatment are 90%, without treatment they are only 5%.

Just as a further note on this particular case...while I obviously do not have first hand knowledge of this case, several of the earlier articles I have read about it have indicated that Daniel has "has developmental disabilities that make it impossible for him to read and limit his understanding" (quote from this article).

Edited to clarify. I do not mean to indicate that those with disabilities are not able to make their own choices. However, this case is a little more complicated than simply a teen refusing on the basis of religion. Another article I read indicates that he told the judge that he does not believe he had any sort of illness.

While I do believe that people have a right to make their own choices, and while I general support the right of parents to make choices for their children...I do have concerns about this case. While in an ideal world, everyone would be evaluated on an individual basis when it comes to their ability to make medical decisions, that's not realistic. That's the general reason for setting an age requirement.

In this case, this person's parents are likely the most significant influences in his life. If they are unsupportive of treatment and also control the information that he can access (especially due to his inability to read or access information on his own) and his interpretation of it, then it certainly is reasonable to expect that their bias may influence him.

[ 05-22-2009, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.