Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » survivor tattoo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: survivor tattoo
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello [Smile]

I already have one tattoo (eyes on my lower back) and I love it, but I've been considering another one. I wanted it to be something small on the upper part of my back, but I really hadn't thought of what I might want. Then it occurred to me that I wanted something to represent my survivor story. Sexual, verbal/emotional abuse, drug addict dad, codependent mom, the silence of not being able to say what was going on... Sometimes I think it's a miracle I'm still here and I haven't attempted suicide. I thought a tattoo would be a cool way to honour what I've accomplished. It'll be on my back, so just like hope, I won't always see it. But I'll always know it's there, and others will see I've survived.

I wanted ideas. Thoughts on what the design could be?

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great minds think alike! [Smile] I already have three tattoos that each hold special meaning to me, and a few months ago I finally started saving up for a tattoo to signify my sexual journey, for lack of a better term. I feel like I am finally in control of my sexuality and able to be 110% positive about and comfortable with it. This is going to be my biggest and most detailed tat so far, so it'll still be a while until I can afford it. It's going on my back, as well: across my shoulder blades and down my spine, and I already have a few elements that I know will be part of it, but I'm still working on the design. It's going to mostly be a floral design, with flowers in the various stages of blossoming, to signify the growth process, and also because flowers just hold so much potential for lush, sensual colours. I'm pretty excited about it. [Big Grin]

Okay, that was me babbling about myself, and you wanted ideas for your design. I'd suggest you try to make a list of things you associate with your survival. Colors, images, ideas, concepts - anything. Be as abstract as you like, just as long as it makes sense to you. You could also look up things that are associated with survival - maybe there are elements of mythology or fairy tales or a particular book or whatever that are connected with hope and survival. Or you can incorporate something that helped you through the hard times, like a quote from a song or a book, or a poem, etc (I have the words "I DO" tattooed on my wrist - they are a reference to a book that was given to me by a mentor, of sorts, whose guidance helped me through some of the worst of my depression, for example).

Good luck designing your tat! [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input September [Big Grin] . Good luck with yours too.

So I think I've decided on the first chakra which represents survival. I've been reading up on it, and I identify with it very much. I brainstormed some other images, but if I tried including them, the tattoo would become way too big and I'm not fond of the idea of a full back tattoo! A couple of things I'm not very sure about though. This design looks very nice: http://www.selfhealings.com.au/images/home/Chakra_1.jpg

However, it looks almost nothing like the symbols for this chakra in other places: http://chakratones.com/Images/1stchakra.jpg

I wonder if it's really the same? Also, it says the area for this chakra is the base of the spine, but I already have my eyes there. Any lower and the tattoo would be on my butt! I wonder if it matters if I put it in another area...

Does anyone have any ideas, or know where to direct me to ask?

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.