Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Any volunteer ideas for school?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any volunteer ideas for school?
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so, next school year (2008-2009) I will, more than likely, be in charge of the school's SR. BETA club's volunteer department. For those of you who dont know, BETA's motto is "Let us lead by serving others"; enough said.

The reason I need to plan so far ahead is because all BETA members are required to work a certain amount of hours, which vary from 10 to 15 hours a semester, depending on whether the BETA is in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade.
I all ready plan to do:
- Christmas Boxes for across seas children
- Reading to the elementary school students
- Visiting the elders at the local nursing home

Any other suggestions?
I open to anything.
:]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Local homeless shelters always need help. There's also Ronald McDonald, if you have one where you live. If you think that people could handle it, the women's and children's abuse shelter I volunteer at often has high school groups come in to volunteer with daycare help. You can try contacting a local abuse shelter and asking if that's a possibility. Surprisingly, the high school and middle school boys that volunteer are often more mature and helpful than the college boys that volunteer. Then there's the SPCA. They're almost always understaffed wherever you go. And that can certainly be a bit less emotionally taxing than an abuse shelter.

That's about all I have for now. Good luck! That's a pretty awesome thing to do! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Homeless shelters/woman's shelters not only need volunteers but also supplies (like shampoo, clothes,feminine products, razors, etc.) Having a drive to help get some of these to them is a good idea if you run into problems with age limits. For Key Club in highschool, we couldn't volunteer at homeless shelters because an age restriction.
Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurenrachelle
Neophyte
Member # 38170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurenrachelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 words,
FEED MY STARVING CHILDREN
best place ever, you don't have to do much to feel like your helping alot. plus you can have any age groups there, no restrictions unless your in 2nd grade! [Wink]
but really, its alot of fun, and you feel like you've made a difference in a childs life! look it up! you'll fall in love with helping feed the hungry and feel great about what you did, and yourself!
you can make 1 hour time slot reservations or come in on a walk in day and help package meals with a smaller group. my high school does it sometimes and its always fun, guys are running around carrying the boxes, and when the clean up comes around though the guys are sparse!

Posts: 11 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
besides just reading to kids, tutoring and mentoring underpriveleged children is a big one. Also, a big brother big sister mentoring program for kids who either don't have a father, or mother, or have a not so great family life is a good idea.

Food drives are also big- not sure if someone said that before. I went to a school that did a turkey drive on thanksgiving, asked people to bring in money and bought a bunch of turkeys to take down to the food stamps place for people to have turkeys on thanksgiving.

Headstart programs- also really good. The Headstart programs around the country love to have older kids come play with their kids. I know that my school did halloween with them- we sent baskets of candy around the neighborhood for ppl to give out when we brought the little kids around. We also did an easter egg hunt with them. Fun stuff!

And lastly, this is the weirdest one, but the coolest. We raised money for people effected by the tsunami to buy cows... Why cows you ask? Because cows 1.) supply milk 2.) birth more cows 3.)and this is a little-gross- can serve as a source of food if impoverished people are truly in need... and when you think about it, it's kindof the gift that keeps on giving.. birthing more cows, and giving milk... One cow can do a lot! lol

Oh, we also had an adopt a dog project. We adopted a dog, and tried to find it a good home.

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everyone.
All these things are really good suggestions.
Ill definitely try talking to the current Beta president, even though he wont be there, to try to do some of these things.

[Smile]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.