Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » ST Pop Quiz #1

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ST Pop Quiz #1
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Show your stuff!

1) What bare-basic principles make up a healthy sexual relationship, aside from biases about whether or not that should take place in a committed romantic relationship?

2) What conditions must be met for true readiness for sex?

3) What are some signs and red flags of an emotionally unstable or abusive relationship?

4) List some healthy ways to build body image and self-esteem, and list some UNhealthy behaviors that are often used as a substitute for true happiness with oneself.

5) What are the best ways to support female and male sexual health? List some guidelines toward overall health that support sexual function.

Now, prove what you know!

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon, you guys! You're all such good posters hereabout, but seem to be getting all clammed up. I'll give you a couple hints..

Hint 1

Hint 2

Hint 3

Hint 4

We're leaving it to you. Tons of people are coming to this area, specifically, to see what young adults are learning here. It's your chance to show off and do your best!

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep trying to respond to this and then my computer freezes *tears* Im going to have at it again and hope it doesnt.

quote:
1) What bare-basic principles make up a healthy sexual relationship, aside from biases about whether or not that should take place in a committed romantic relationship?
These hints ruin my responses but anyway... Eating healthy, Its amazing what happens when you change your diet around and start eating healthy. It changes everything about how your body is working/feels.

quote:
2) What conditions must be met for true readiness for sex?
Thats why theres the "in"famous scarleteen readiness checklist ;-)
But anyway, making sure you understand the consequences from sex, What you will do if you did indeed get pregnant, Know about all the birth control methods (And use them), Also having been checked out by the doctors recently is important. I could go on and on but the checklist is just an easier read.

quote:
3) What are some signs and red flags of an emotionally unstable or abusive relationship?
Usually the whole abuse thing is a big key...Fighting alot is never a good sign for any relationship, hitting should be grounds of an instant red flag in your mind to get the hell out of there. Emotionally having someone constently tell you, that you cant do it is just another form of abuse and is a big red flag.

quote:
4) List some healthy ways to build body image and self-esteem, and list some UNhealthy behaviors that are often used as a substitute for true happiness with oneself.
http://www.scarleteen.com/body/7ways.html < thats a good read, it gives you nice ideas on how to build up your self esteem.

quote:
5) What are the best ways to support female and male sexual health? List some guidelines toward overall health that support sexual function.
For female:
http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/sexhealth.html
For male: http://www.scarleteen.com/boyfriend/sexhealth.html

Come on Lauren, No hints next time it ruins me using the search function and getting to read thru the pages.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

(You didn't have to use the hints! [Smile] )

Hmmm, let's get some more going. No hints this time! Lots of your guys' knowledge should come from knowing the articles and searching the boards, anyway. [Wink] We're also looking for answers that you take from the articles and knowledge you gain here; answer questions in your own words. [Smile]

1) What barriers should be used for each of the following: oral sex, manual sex, vaginal intercourse, and anal intercourse?

2) What are the main inhibitors to sexual arousal and enjoyment, in both males and females? What are the stages of sexual arousal?

3) Why isn't it safe to assume virgins are "clean", and therefore assume that it's safe to go unprotected?

4) What is the most, and least, effective birth control method (aside from abstinence and no method) available today?

5) For what reasons does Scarleteen avoid giving technique advice?

[ 02-15-2007, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Oral sex on female - dental dams / saran wrap
Oral sex on male - condom
Manual sex on female - latex glove
Manual sex on male - condom / latex glove
Vaginal intercourse - condom
Anal intercourse (penis) - condom
Anal intercourse (manual) - latex glove / condom
2) Stages of arousal - sexual desire, arousal, the plateau phase, orgasm and resolution
Inhibitors - being unsure that you want to be doing what you're doing, not being attracted to your partner (assuming it's a partnered activity), feeling that what you're doing is immoral. Also chemical inhibitors such as alcohol, cannabis etc. (don't do drugs, kids! [Big Grin] )
3) Some STIs are present at birth, like HIV, and can also be picked up through breastfeeding.
They can also be picked up by needle sharing
4) Most effective birth control - Pill (correctly taken) and condom (correctly used) together.
Least effective - condoms used incorrectly, ie no lube?
5) Scarleteen avoids giving technique advice because the site is for ages 13 and up (I think) and giving technique advice to a minor would not only make us trashy, poor old Heather would get sued for the trousers/skirt off her back side.

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Great! Let's put a spin on things. It's up to you guys to "grade" each other's work, as in explain why a given answer from another user is incorrect/incomplete if you deem it so (civilly, of course!).

for example, smileyjoseph did an awesome job, but number 4 is incorrect, and number 5 lacks a crucial aspect of our "no technique" policy, aside from the age of our userbase. Anyone want to chime in? [Smile]

[ 02-15-2007, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm going to try.

# 4 I'm guessing here that the the least effective birth control method is withdrawal.

# 5 The reason techniques are not given here is that it is simply not useful since there is no techniques better than any other and well people tastes are all different, so they enjoy different techniques. To make it simple, there is not a given technique that will work for everyone. [Smile]

[ 02-15-2007, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Good work! Let me see if I can dig up some more.

(Here's the sticky for this forum explaining what this is about and giving some guidelines.)

1. What is considered normal vaginal discharge in females? What symptoms could indicate infection?

2. True or False: Sexual orientation is absolutely set from birth to death. You either like one gender, or the other, or both, and that's that. Explain your answer.

3. What are the pregnancy and STI risks for the following scenarios: "Dry sex" in which ejaculate soaks through both partners' clothing; vaginal intercourse in which a condom was used correctly; unprotected vaginal intercourse in which the man did NOT ejaculate. At what risk level and beyond (very low, low, low to moderate, moderate to high) is obtaining emergency contraception urged?

4. Name all of the options a woman has for managing her menstrual flow.

5. How can condom breakage be dramatically reduced? What does proper use consist of?

[ 02-15-2007, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

# 1. normal vaginal discharge: white or slightly yellowish and thick - or clear and thin (depending mostly on what time the women is in her cycle), mild odor but no unpleasant odor, is of moderate quantity

signs of infection : chunky, heavy discharge, with small curds, strong odor, abnormal color such as grayish, geenish,...

# 2. Tricky question. [Smile] Is there really only one true answer to that question ? Personally, I think it's true. I think sexual orientation is something we don't have much control over. I mean it's mostly fixed. We don't really choose what sexual gender we wanna be attracted to. That's my opinion.Of course, we can always choose to ignore the attraction we have toward a certain gender but I'm not sure this would work perfectly. Well, that's my take on it.

# 3. dry sex with ejaculate soak trough both partners clothing = moderate risk
vaginal intercourse with proper use of condom = very low to none
unprotected vaginal intercourse with no ejaculate = moderate risk ( there could still be some pre-ejaculate)

# 4. pads (washable or not), tampons, natural see sponges, menstrual cups

# 5. With use of lube mostly. (we could also had use of a non-expired condom and of a condom which hasn't been exposed to any extreme hot or cold temperatures)
It should be a water-based lube (no oil or vaseline or any other such things which are not intended for condom use) and there should be use of enough of it.

[ 02-15-2007, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

(Would it be inappropriate if I posted questions here just like Miss Lauren did ? I know she's the only one who's been posting questions in this thread so...)

--------------------

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cool87:

# 2. Tricky question. [Smile] Is there really only one true answer to that question ? Personally, I think it's true. I think sexual orientation is something we don't have much control over. I mean it's mostly fixed. We don't really choose what sexual gender we wanna be attracted to. That's my opinion.Of course, we can always choose to ignore the attraction we have toward a certain gender but I'm not sure this would work perfectly. Well, that's my take on it.

I have to nit pick just a little: While you're absolutely right that you cannot chose who you want to be attracted to, it is not true that sexuality is 'fixed'. We can't control our attractions, but they can change over time. Sexuality is pretty fluid like that.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Okay, so I'll post some other questions if I may of course.

1) List some of the reasons for painful intercourse.

2) How does the birth control pill work ? (or How does it prevent pregnancy ?)

3) Name some parts of the female reproductive system.

4) What are some of the birth control methods that exists ? (come on, at least 5 [Smile] )

5) What are some of the reasons why a period might be late ?

[ 02-18-2007, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) I guess the penis hitting the cervix, the penis hitting a remnant of the hymen, endometriosis, PAIS (sp?) and other diseases/disorders, and I think also menses.
2) The birth control pill works by altering hormone levels to prevent ovulation.
3) fallopian tube, ovary, uterus, vagina, cervix, labia (major and minor).
4) IUD (coil), pill, implant, condom, female condom, diaphragm.
5) Pregnancy, lack of nutrition, or just plain old hormonal irregularities, progesterone being slightly higher than normal and so forth.

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Actually, some people report that having sex during menses lessens the pain of cramps. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of it causing more pain.

Also, other reasons for painful intercourse: the girl isn't FULLY relaxed or aroused, and/or not enough lube is being used.)

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

I'm going to borrow a new rule from DarkChild's quiz:

When answering, I'd like to see two sources; one of them can be references from ST articles or the boards, and one of them MUST be from an outside reputable health source. Staff and volunteers have to do this regularly to make sure information is current and accurate.

(And thanks to those who have corrected others. This is NOT a game, and is supposed to be a reflection of the knowledge our userbase has gained as a fundraising drive. Please don't post if you don't feel confident in your entire answer, just as you wouldn't post incorrect or incomplete information in response to a peer's question. Thanks again!)

[ 02-18-2007, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Here's some other questions. I'll cut those down to 4 since sources are needed from now on so it will take a little bit more time. [Smile]

1) Which are the hormones that plays a role in the menstrual cycle ?

2) Where is the urethra located in a female ?(compared its location to the vagina's)

3) Does dry sex carry pregnancy risks ? Explain your answer.

4) Which are some of the things you can do to try to avoid, as much as possible, vaginal infections ? (name at least 4)

[ 02-20-2007, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.