Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » (Rapid) Round robin!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: (Rapid) Round robin!
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to start by posting a quick Scarleteen-related question. Whoever answers it (correctly [Wink] ) gets to choose the next question. And it goes on and on (or so I hope!)

Question 1: What is the difference between HIV and AIDS?

(If you're wondering, what the heck is round robin?)

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea, Lena!

HIV is a retorvirus (or slow virus) that attacks the body's immune system. AIDS is the final stage of the HIV infection. I think a person is declared to have AIDS when the contract one or more OI's (opportunistic infections) that an otherwise healthy person would be able to fight off.

To the next person: what STD (or STD's) can present with no symptoms?

[ 02-15-2007, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: JamsessionVT ]

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chlamydia and HIV - also syphilis is present for up to 10 days without symptoms.

Q. How are STIs transmitted?

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Not sure if I'm supposed to do this -- if y'all meant this to be for young'uns only, lemme know -- but just for the sake of accuracy, ALL STIs have the capacity to be present and not show symptoms.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oopsie. [Frown]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, no problem! Accuracy is what we're aiming for, but it's all about trying and keeping the ball rolling (fast!) and helping each other out. I know this forum is intended for users and volunteers under 21, but because this thread's about both answering AND asking questions, having it open to everyone would be ok with me?

Again, here's smileyjoseph's question:

(Hey you 269 people just lurking, you don't have to register to post! Here's a hint, come on and give it a try -- there are many correct answers to this and you just need to list one! [Smile] )

[ 02-15-2007, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
<New Jersey>
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
STIs are transmitted through sexual contact, or through the exchange of bodily fluids.

Q. How often should men go to the doctor for a sexual health check-up?

quote:
Originally posted by smileyjoseph:
Chlamydia and HIV - also syphilis is present for up to 10 days without symptoms.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Isn't it every 6 months, and every time they begin a new sexual relationship? Also every time they have unprotected sex?
Q. Same question for women.

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Generally, it's once a year if you're not sexually active, or have been with the same partner in a monogamous relationship, but if you have multiple partners, or changes in partners twice a year. Going every time you have unprotected sex is a bit futile since there are incubation periods for many STIs which would make testing in that way not so sensible.

I'm trying not to answer the new questions b/c this is for you all, just keeping the information correct like the annoying micromanager I can be! Whee!)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
( I just want to make sure whether or not we should verify our answer is correct before posting it. It's a game so I guess not but at the same time I don't want to be posting misinfos. [Smile] )

A : I'd say it's best for a girl/women to visit her family doctor annually for a routine exam. And she should also have one annual pelvic exam too whether this one is dispensed by her family practionner or by a gyn. But like Heather said, I suppose if the women has multiple partners or changes in partners, then going to the gyn twice a year is what's recommended.

Q: How many days after the risk is a pregnancy test result generally reliable ?

[ 02-15-2007, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either 10 to 14 days, or as soon as you're late for your period.

Q: What are some causes for condoms to fail/break?

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astrocyte
Activist
Member # 29128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astrocyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A: They could get a bit munted if they are stored incorrectly i think? ie too hot/in sun. Or if they are expired,used without lube or with a non-water based lube, used 2 at once, put on after rather than before skin contact..uhh..reused....& used in water apparently(?)

i think that is my question,
Q: How safe is any kind of sex in water? ie bath, pool, sea etc. Is there anything new you need to take into consideration, protection-wise?

(i am noob. hi [Smile]

Posts: 79 | From: the southern hemisphere | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Welcome, rosegeranium -- so nice of you to start posting here, and I hope you post again soon on the boards. [Smile]

Since I asked the first question but hadn't technically answered any yet, I thought I'd take a jab at yours. (Your reasons for condom breakage are all correct.)

Sex in water is advised against for the following reasons: chlorinated pools or hot tubs, for example, are bad environments for vaginas; and it's harder to practice safer sex, such as using condoms and staying lubricated. I found an old question on this: http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=009387

My question: What are some signs of an abusive relationship?

(Hey New Jersey, cool, Lucy, and joseph again-- thanks for "playing," too. And thanks to Heather for the clarifications.)

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few signs of an abusive relationship:

-controls who you talk to, how you spend money, what you wear, what you do on the internet, where you go, who your friends are, etc

-hits, throws objects, or any other unwanted physical pain, or even just threatens to

-forces sex or sexual contact, won't hear "no"

-says things like "if you break up with me, I'll kill myself" (I HATE that one)

-puts you down and/or calls you names, anything offensive, derogatory (sp?) or even a name that doesn't seem like it would offend to someone else but KNOWS you don't like it

-stalking, called a million times a day (or just 85, whatever), threatening to climb up your brick house and into your bedroom in the middle of the night to have sex with you (this one actually happened to me!)

Ok, I THINK I covered physical, emotional and sexual abuse, at least one each.

((edited because OOPS I forgot to ask the next question!))

How long do you have to take emergency contraception after unprotected sex, and does it really cause you to have an abortion? If so, how does it work, and if not what does it actually do?

[ 02-17-2007, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Alice ]

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can be effective for up to 120 hours after the risk, but it most effective if taken less than 72 hours later.

It does NOT cause abortions - if a fertilised egg has already implanted, it will not terminate that pregnancy. It works by attmpting to delay ovulation - so there's no egg TO be fertilised - and affecting the lining of the womb so that if there is an egg waiting to implant, it cannot.

Next question: Which is the most common STI in the UK?

Read it carefully before you answer!

[ 02-17-2007, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: ladydexter ]

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently chlamydia is the most common bacterial STI, and genital warts are the most common viral STI, according to BBC News.

Next: True or False: You can prove that someone is a virgin. (If true, how? If false, why not?)

It seems we run into that question pretty frequently here [Smile]

[Edit: whoops, I'm 21 and the rules for the area state you must be UNDER 21 to answer... hopefully this one can squeak through?? [Razz] ]

[ 02-17-2007, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it can't be proven because many of the things used as references for a virginity loss can happen without sex, ie broken hymen, can occur without sex, or sometimes it can remain unbroken after sex.

What can people do if they want to leave abusive relationships but without money or a place to go?

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

A: They can go to a shelter.

Q: What is vasocongestion ?

[ 02-17-2007, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Vasocongestion is the swelling of body tissues due to increased blood pressure in a tissue.
In particular, this causes menstrual cramps, increased sensitivity of the genitals during sexual arousal, and erection of the penis.

Q. What musical note can give a lady an orgasm?
(You'll watch Never Mind The Buzzcocks to know this one [Big Grin] )
Real Q. What is the composition of male ejaculate?

--------------------

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just to add on to joseph's answer- vasocongestion is also the cause of "blue balls", which happens when the blood in the genitals during erection become oxygen-deprived and can cause pain. This can happen to women too. [Smile] )

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer joseph's Q:

Male ejaculate, or semen, has several components:

-sperm
-amino acids, various enzymes, flavins, fructose from the seminal vesicles (sperm cells rely entirely on sugars for energy)
-proteins
-phosphorylcholine and prostaglandins (involved in suppressing an immune reaction from the woman's body)
-prostate specific antigen, fibrinolysin, acid phosphatase
-mucus, galactose

There are others, but I think I'll stop there [Big Grin]

Next question: What is the typical failure rate for a condom, if used perfectly?

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

A: The condom has a failure rate of about 2% if used perfectly.

Q: How many hours a women has to get E.C. after she's had a pregnancy risk ?

And, if E.C. is taken within the proper time frame, by how much does it reduce the pregnancy risk ?

[ 02-18-2007, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A: 120 hours, or about five days.

E.C. reduces the pregnancy risk by about 75%.

Q:If you are pregnant, what are your options regarding the foetus/baby?

--------------------
Look to the western sky

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

a) Abortion
b) Adoption
c) Keep it

Q. When is it safe to use birth control but no STI protection?

PS from my earlier question, the required note is apparently F sharp.

[ 02-18-2007, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: smileyjoseph ]

--------------------

LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

When both partners have been monogamous for at least six months, and have had two STI screens EACH, all coming back negative.

Q: When should a woman start having annual GYN exams?

(By the way, smileyjoseph, that's funny... I've been into music for a while, played plenty of F sharps myself as well as hearing loads of others play them, but I can't recall ever having an orgasm from that note... [Razz] )

--------------------
Look to the western sky

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

A. When periods start, I think?
Q. When is something NOT rape?
PS It was also proposed on that show that E flat might be more suitable. Anything...? lol

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just a reminder to ya'll, per the sticky in this forum? Lots of people are coming here as part of the fundraising drive to see what young adults are learning here, and how serious you are about gaining knowledge. Please do NOT post if you're not sure of the answer, just like on the regular boards. Thanks.)
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James the Dark
Activist
Member # 32379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James the Dark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A. Four conditions must be met:
When she says yes.
When she means yes.
When he says yes.
When he means yes.

Q. Which has more nerve endings, the penis or the clitoris?

--------------------
"And you're really asking me if I prefer injury to embarrassment? That's not even a choice. I don't know anybody who's literally died of embarrassment."

People are annoying sometimes.

Posts: 78 | From: Summerside, PEI, Canada | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rockin' question. The clitoris--it has about 8000 nerve endings, compared to the 4000 of the penis. Sorry guys!

Q: Name at least three different birth control options that are reasonable and safe.

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

A: The condom, the birth control pill, the diaphragm

Q: Name some of the situations where it wouldn't be a sound idea for someone to be or start becoming sexually active with a partner. (name at least 4)

[ 02-20-2007, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post 
(A) 1. If the person is 4+ years older (Or visa versa)

2. If the person is a substance/alcohol abuser

3. If you feel uncomfortable with the person.

4. If the person pressures you into sex/relastionship

Q:How many times a month/year/half-year (regularily) should you visit your OBGYN? (if this was in an article, I must've missed it)

Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.