Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Global Warming, Ice Age, or End of Time?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Global Warming, Ice Age, or End of Time?
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I heard something new on the topic about the future of the earth..

In the past few years, everyone has been trying to drill into my mind that the world was going to overheat because of global warming.

Then, a few months ago, I heard another theory.. the world was going to end in 2013, and God/Jesus was going to come down to Earth. (The typical "how the world is going to end" theory that deals with the bible and Jesus/God and stuff).

Yesterday though, I heard yet another 'theory'. I was told by friends that a teacher told them that the earth isnt in fact getting warmer but instead, getting colder. The teacher had told them that the UK had concluded, using satellites or whatever, that the Earth was getting colder, not warmer, and so, the earth would eventually undergo another ice age.

So, what is your opinions on this? Which one do you believe: global warming, ice age, or the end of time? Or do you have another theory that you have thought of yourself or heard from others?

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the end of the world is supposed to be 2012, according to the Mayan calendar, but for all we know, they could have just been lazy and didn't feel like charting out past 2012 when they made the calendar. I also read in the tabloids in the check-out aisle at the supermarket the other day that the apocalypse is this year, May 11, which kind of sucks since it's two short months before my birthday, and I really was hoping for a pony this year.

Basically, everyone has their end of the world, doomsday beliefs. Weren't they saying that the world would end June 6, 2006? And wow, look at that, it's 2008 and the world hasn't blown up or anything like that...yet. Is the world getting warmer? Are we heading for an ice age? Maybe. But chances are that an ice age won't happen in our lifetimes. I do think we should do all we can to help the environment and cut down on our wastes, but worrying about doomsday scenarios is only going to drive you insane, and you seem way too nice to be standing on a street corner in a cardboard sign yelling at people about the end of the world. [Wink]

So the short answer: don't worry about it and live your life to the fullest. Oh, and recycle and use a bike when you can. [Smile]

[ 04-15-2008, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: orca ]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really worrying or anything; I just wanted to know the views of others. [Smile]

As for the recycling.. I dont really recycle anything, but I do try not to litter and pick up as much as I can..

And Im more than aware that the possiblities are endless. I had also heard that the world was suppose to end on January 1, 2001.. we are here today. The mayan calendar does shake me up a bit, though, because they have been correct before. (For example, they correctly identified the year of the end of their civilization, or so Ive been told.)

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for the whole global warming scare- apparently when my mom was my age, she said people were freaking out about the world getting colder. Not to say that global warming isn't an issue, but like orca said, there's always gonna be SOME variety of doomsday story going around out there. [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are always doomsday scares going around (remember people making bunkers and the whole Y2K scare?) But I think it's important to understand that Global Warming is a little bit different then something you see on National Enquirer because there is something we can do about it. Not saying we should buy emergency survival kits, or hide under the bed or anything like that; but, it is important for people to be aware that this Earth is the only one we have, so we should take care of it. It's not something to panic about, everyone should def. live their lives, just maybe a little greener-for our grandkids sake.

[ 04-15-2008, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Morgiana ]

Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie101
Activist
Member # 37085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, just like orca said its supposed to end December somethingth 2012. But according to my gr.9 geography class that due to global warming we are no longer going to get another ice age. So I wouldnt be to worried about it!

--------------------
stephh!

Posts: 88 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marigold
Activist
Member # 43862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marigold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should threat global warming and end-by-[insert date] scenarios differently.

The first are scientifically proven (United Nations/International panel on Climate Change, IPCC). We are objectively in deep shit, so it would be wise to educate yourself a bit about the probable outcomes, and invest your energy in learning things that will help you in a world turned like that (other details: toxins all around, forests disappearing, overfishing, etc etc etc.). This site http://en.cop15.dk/ is about the UN climate conference to be held in December, and it says, that we're in deeper shit than the worse scenario of the IPCC's 2007 report would predict. Oops.

I don't want to scare anyone, and I don't know exactly what to do myself, neither. I'm not an oracle.

I'm studying ecological architecture, as a first step, had got part of my food from a network of ecological farms close to my city last year, have developed a style based on second-hand and handmade items, I ride a bike.. and during all that, sometimes I feel disgustingly like a hipster, but it's not my fault, that anything can be exploited as a trend. I'm also trying to determine my identity outside the industrial-made labels of style.

Probably more important than any of this things would be learning to collaborate better with people, learning to form networks, to communicate, to help each other...

there are many paths, but I think, that in order to remain healthy, one should always keep in mind, that the fate of the world, after all, doesn't depend of him/her alone. The weight of the whole planet on one's shoulder is just too much for any human being. If you're too worried, start telling yourself, that being sane and well-balanced is also a tool for being more efficient in what you do. Never forget, that we are just humans.

Look at Heather, as an example: in order to sustain this site, she probably had to give up on fighting for other important issues... and who would blame her?

A last tip: don't let yourself sucked into too easy explanations, like conspiration theories. Our brain is optimized to recognize villains the complexity of a wild bear, so of course the real causes of all our problems are just too complex for us. It's frustrating to fight against something abstract, so easy explications can feel just right. It/s because of THEM! Except for that, of course, it isn't.

re-reading the thread, maybe noone was asking about this. sorry if it was too much information.

--------------------
{*)>>>{

Posts: 68 | From: slovakia | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.