Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Help! Identity Theft?!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help! Identity Theft?!?
justpeachy
Activist
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justpeachy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I was out shopping with a few friends.
I bought some stuff at a store and paid with a debit card. So I put in my pin #. The sales clerk then said that he needed to see my card for the last 4 digits... which didn't make sense to me AT ALL.

So my question is should I be worried about this? What should I do? Deactivate my debit card/checking account?? If I change my pin will that solve my problem??

God I'm so freaked out... if I tell my parents about this they will kill me... please help!!!!!

Posts: 61 | From: right here : ) | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid that we can't be of much help since this is not the kind of issues we deal with here on Scarleteen.

But, how about calling your financial institution and asking them for advice ? I think that would be the best thing to do here.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The credit card systems used by some stores require the manual input of the last four digits of the card as a verification step. In my experience, there are only a few places that do this. They always ask me for the last four digits at Lowe's, for example.

If you're concerned, you should call your bank and ask them to put a watch on your account and let them know that you had a transaction that you're nervous about. This way, they'll monitor your next several transactions extra carefully to make sure that nothing out of the ordinary shows up. You can also call the store and ask about their policies about credit/debit card use. They will be able to tell you what is required by their system.

Anytime you are using a credit or debit card at a store and you feel uncomfortable about the information you have been asked to provide, you should stop the transaction right there. You can ask to speak with a manager and find out exactly what the policy is and how it works at that store. Don't ever give hand your card over if you feel uncomfortable.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justpeachy
Activist
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justpeachy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much, and I am sorry that I posted this here. I just didn't know where else to go! thank you so so so much!
Posts: 61 | From: right here : ) | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.