Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » My Super Sweet 16...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Super Sweet 16...
sublime_15
Activist
Member # 12538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sublime_15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else disgusted by this show? I dont even know where to begin. I'm not a censorship nazi but man I could see how this show could psychologically damage a younger audience than myself.

This show is like a sick, twisted trainwreck that you have to watch. Even I cant help but feel depressed after watching this show. I dont mind that my sweet 16 wasnt 400,000 dollars. Sure its sucks not being able to get everything I want. But more sadly, I'm left thinking, god these kids are brats and it just sends out a really awful message.

First off, I guess it's perfectly okay to throw a hissy fit because your mom decided to suprise you with a 60,000 dollar car the day before the party, and not at the actual party, along with many other tantrums because something is off. As a parent, I'd be really hurt if I busted my bum and then my child is depressed because he/she cant spend like the kids on this show. And that ties into the whole image issue that kids already struggle with. The ones on the show are so fake, maybe because it is an MTV show but seriously these kids are just rotten and I'd love to leave them in some 3rd world country for a bit. So yeah, I dont consider myself that impressionable but after watching a few episodes of this I just cant help but be sad that I cant go drop a few thousand on clothes or what's even worse that I've had friends that had to drop out of school cus of money issues, or of people that cant afford health procedures. I should stop watching tv, it's messing with my psche. Opinons?

[ 07-22-2007, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: sublime_15 ]

Posts: 280 | From: nowhere | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frogmite
Neophyte
Member # 30165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frogmite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's terrible that anyone thought of rewarding these kids by putting them on TV. Maybe the idea was to show them how bratty and unreasonable they are, but Lord knows they're not going to see it.

Granted, I've only watched one episode (and had to turn off the TV before the end), but I definately can't stand even the idea of it. Of course, MTV tends to be about reinforcing stereotypes (ie. the rich girl, the skater guy, etc), good or otherwise.

Really, it's rather troubling that anyone, anywhere, thinks that it's okay to act like the teenagers on "My Super Sweet Sixteen".

--------------------
If I ever asked her to Skank, she'd probably think I called her one.

Posts: 34 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just moving this thread to the All About You forum, which I think is a better home for it. [Smile]
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch this show much, but I do tend to keep it on if I notice it when I'm flipping through channels.

I actually find the show quite amusing, but that's because I know it's not realistic or a life I would want. I don't watch the show thinking that I envy the boys and girls, I watch it just for entertainment.

Now that you bring it up, though, I can see it being a problem for younger teens to see the show because they might think that treating people in that manner is ok, or think that their lives aren't good enough if they don't get those material things. I'll have to think on it now.

Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Castaway
Activist
Member # 28219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Castaway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm dissapointed with MTV. What was once a great corporation has turned into a corrupt reality show business which has nothing to do with music. Shows like Super Sweet 16 give children/teenagers the wrong message. Children will think that they too should get spectacular birthdays. These reality shows are a part of the corruption with today's youth. But not all the blame can really go to MTV.
Posts: 89 | From: Somewhere in dreamland.... | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It particularly annoys me the way that they treat the 'dorks' and 'nerds' in not allowing them to come or throwing them out. (This would probably include me, if you believe the opinion of the majority who have never talked to me for more than about a minute). It especially annoys me the way MTV then show footage of them being cruelly put down... this is everything I hate about the whole high school / college thing. Fingers crossed that at uni I won't have to put up with that kind of crap any more.
quote:
I'd love to leave them in some 3rd world country for a bit.
I hear the middle of the Sahara without compass, food or water is very nice this time of year.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Airem
Activist
Member # 24638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Airem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That show makes me want to hit some parents lol

--------------------
As The Shadow Follows The Body, As We Think, So We Become.

Posts: 157 | From: Athens, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a show called 'Quiero Mis Quinces' that's the MTV Tres (MTV's niche channel for Latino juventud in America) equivalent of 'My Super Sweet 16.'

Instead of Sweet 16s, you get Quinceñeras gone haywire. Lord. It's just as bad, but only in Spanish.

Moreover, most of this show is filmed in Mexico, South America or Central America. The show features affluent kids from Spanish speaking countries, but never any Latinos in America, ostensibly because too few Latinos in the US are comparably affluent. But who's watching this program here???

Wow, I think I wanna hit somebody, too.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
headcase90
Neophyte
Member # 36028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for headcase90         Edit/Delete Post 
YES! I'm not the only person who finds this show sick. While I do spend a fair amount of money on myself, it is money that I, MYSELF have earned by working hard. I also would never think of throwing a fit to my parents for not giving me some outrageously priced item that I wanted. These kids have done nothing to earn anything except be born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Oh how wonderful it would be to rip that spoon out, and take a few teeth with it.

To top it all off, I've seen 6 year olds act more mature than most of these snotty, lazy, BRATS.

Posts: 23 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bret
Neophyte
Member # 40742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way the show is edited together... I dunno it seems to me like MTV are deliberately trying to make these people look like brats because they KNOW people will watch it.

My opinion is, good on you MTV for making hideously compelling entertainment. Any smart tv producer knows that people LOVE to watch stuff that's going to make them very VERY angry.

That's not to say I condone the behaviour of these kids, but yeah. I do oh so LOVE hating them.
My friend and I made a song and music video about this fantastic show:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqwRdeesdNQ

Enjoy [Smile]

Posts: 15 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.