Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » In need of help.....with movies !!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In need of help.....with movies !!!!
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I really like thoughtful movies, sort of. Like movies that deal with real life issues be it homosexuality, drugs or substance abuse, abuse, psychiatric problems, or other things like that. A bit like movies which can sometimes be hard to watch. I guess you get what I mean. [Smile]

Since my repertoire is quite limited, I thought you guys could maybe give me some movies titles of that kind that either you or friends watched and found good. So any movies like that you particularly liked ?

Here's some I've already watched if this might help making more clear the type of movies I'm talking about.

- Thirteen
- Boys don't cry
- Monster
- Blue car
- The Magdalene sisters
- The secretary

[ 03-09-2007, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- Sleepers. It's about a group of young boys from Hell's Kitchen NY arrested and prosecuted for an innocent crime. They were sent to a correction facility where they were molested and raped by the guards, and describes their quest for revenge in their adult lives.

- From Hell. A neat over-dramatization of the Jack the Ripper story, which plays out the most popular conspiracy theory in depth.

Aaand, that's all I can think of right now. I'll think on it today!

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- Transamerica. A pre-operative male-to-female transsexual takes an unexpected journey when she learns that she fathered a son, now a teenage runaway hustling on the streets of New York (that's the plot outline from imdb.com)

That's all I can think of right now, but I just wanted to add a little warning for the movie "From Hell". I found it pretty disturbing and gory, and although I think Johnny Depp is awesome, the movie just left me feeling kind of depressed. Not the happiest of endings, that's for sure. But if you're into horror-ish movies, it's worth checking out. I'm just personally not a fan of those movies.

If I think of any other movies, I'll post again [Smile]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a bit gory, but I found it extremely interesting nevertheless.

Besides, cool's in med school, so I doubt she'll be phased. [Razz]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol, that's true. I've just never been good with gory movies.

- There's the movie "I am Sam" (A mentally retarded man fights for custody of his 7-year-old daughter, and in the process teaches his cold-hearted lawyer the value of love and family - imdb.com). I haven't personally seen it, but I've heard some really good things.

- There's also "Equilibrium", which is more political and futuristic, in the sense that it shows a totalitarian regime and the people that fight it.

- "V for Vendetta" is in that same vein, and both are movies that I really enjoyed

[ 03-09-2007, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the drug/substance abuse vein, ever seen Requiem for a Dream? HORRIBLY depressing, raw movie, and it is definitely NOT for the weak stomached or easily offended. I'm a huge fan of the director (Aronofsky), and he did an incredible job of showing how disparaging drug (specifically speed and heroin) addiction can end up (jail, hospitalization, prostitution for money,etc.).

It is an NC-17/R-rated film (the original rating was NC-17, I believe both an original and R-rated version are available) and has some nudity/graphic sexual content, as well as the drug use, so definitely only a recomendation for the 17-ups on the board (I saw it for the first time when I was 15, I believe, but I was raised in a house wheremy dad stressed on me very early on the difference between reality and what's in the movies, and had no problem with me watching some heavier stuff when I was younger, because he knew I could handle it.)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a more light-hearted movie, try "Kissing Jessica Stein", which is about a woman who falls in love with another women after having considered herself straight her whole life. It's got some really great and realistic scenes about her coming out.

And of course, there is always "Girl, Interrupted". Psychiatric problems galore and really well done.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Hey thanks to you all for the great suggestions. It sure sounds like interesting movies. Probably won't watch them all tonight [Smile] but they are going to be on my gotta-watch-movies list for sure.

If anyone though still have other ideas, feel free to just chime in. I'm open to any new suggestion. [Smile]

[ 03-10-2007, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plain milyeh
Activist
Member # 32511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plain milyeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-i want to second "i am sam"...i *have* seen it, and it's pretty darn sweet. there's a whole beatles motif thing. and lots of cute references to "kramer vs. kramer" (which, if you haven't seen it, is another pretty spiffy movie...involving dustin hoffman and meryl streep, so...delightful).

-"but i'm a cheerleader". it's silly, but it's also a pretty sharp satire of the whole "ex-gay" concept.

-"lady sing the blues". it's about billie holiday. it's thoroughly depressing what with all the racism and heroin addiction and so forth, but quite good. diana ross does an eerily good job of being an entirely different singer than herself...

-"ginger snaps". cute canadian indie feminist horror movie. gore and injection drug use all over the place. there's also a sequel and a prequel, which are pretty neat as well.

(also, "girl, interrupted" was a pretty good movie, but after reading the book, it kind of makes me giggle. the book is really incredible. definitely read the book.)

a couple documentaries, in case you're into that:

-"mardi gras: made in china". if you're looking for something hard to watch...this definitely qualifies. it's a combination of footage taken during mardi gras in new orleans, and at the factory in china where the mardi gras beads are made, mostly by young teenage girls.

-"the corporation". this was a lot more terrifying than i thought it was going to be at the outset. it basically dissects the entire concept of what a "corporation" is under the law, and the kinds of injustices corporations get away with as a result. it's disturbing (i would definitely not advocate watching it alone), but it also manages to convey the message that we can fix things if we try.

Posts: 108 | From: caaaaanada. ('cause we've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks...) | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ginger Snaps is actually an insanely insightful veiled-commentary on menstrual attitudes. Very underrrated film, and the subtext is often missed. [Smile]

Per other ideas in terms of what you seem to be asking for, I'dd add in North Country, Norma Rae and Bread and Roses for great takes on labor issues.

Maria Full of Grace is an incredible film on drug smuggling and class issues.

Things Behind the Sun and The Accused are two personal favorites of mine per realoy examining rape issues, though they're very, very hard to watch, and even having seen them several times, I do have to step out of the room with the rape scenes (especially that first film -- just far too much like my early experience to handle).

Antonia's Line, Thelma and Louise, Amores Perros are some more great ones in this arena, off the top of my head. Testament, while I'm thinking of it, is also so, so amazing: examination of one family and community post nuclear war.

And one last one that I had to just turn the heck off -- parts of it were just WAY to close to coming-of-age and family issues of mine, and it's all real footage -- but is just such a brilliant, truthful film is Tarnation.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Hey... Thanks a whole lot Heather. Didn't expect that much movies. [Smile]

Things behind the sun is a movie I have also been told about and had wanted to watch too but hélas, seem either it hasn't come out in Canada or simply the video location stores here where I live doesn't have it, which happens to be the case with a whole lot of movies unfortunatly.

But anyway, I'll have some other great movie titles to look up for. [Smile]

Thanks again !

[ 03-17-2007, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filmmaker for a partner, plus, longtime film buff over here.

And these types of movies are pretty much the core of what I see (that and anything at all Nick Park does:)).

Things Behind the Sun -- one of my fave directors did it, so I'm well-versed -- is tough to get because she chose to go with a cable release rather than a theatrical. So, it might be one you have to order to purchase, rather than rent.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mellygirl
Activist
Member # 28588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mellygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely need to continue to promote I am Sam!

Also, the movie "Real Women Have Curves" deals with overcoming unfair parental-imposed gender rules, sexuality, and creating a better life for oneself. Seriously recommended!

--------------------
*Melanny*

Posts: 175 | From: Midwest US | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silly me, I forgot one of the best movies ever: Boys on the Side. Absolutely gorgeous movie with Whoopy Goldberg and Drew Barrymore about a group of women who end up leaving town together and starting over. One of those movies that has you bawling your eyes out at the end, but it's so totally worth it.

(ETA: It's true that Susanna Kaysen's book is so much more real and disturbing than the movie, but it's still a good effort and Angeline Jolie's acting is beyond impressive.)

[ 03-17-2007, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Thanks you all for the suggestions. It's highly appreciated. [Smile]

Have someone else here already watched the movie ''THE QUIET'' ? I just forgot to add it to my list of movies in my first post. So for those looking for movies like that too, you might want to take a look at it.

This is one really great movie.

It adresses a lot of things. It deals with sexual (incest in an highly dysfonctional family), verbal and physical abuse and how this all can affect a person but it also deals, on top of that, with other psychological issues as well like low-self esteem issues, a little bit of drug abuse too.

So that's a movie I would highly suggest for other people liking this kind of movie.

[ 03-18-2007, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Oh, lordy. I just saw Pan's Labyrinth. There's a reason it was the best-reviewed movie of 2006 and the 4th best-reviewed movie of all time at metacritic.com. It was just THAT awesome.

It was incredibly difficult to watch, since that's what you said you like! I don't typically like creepy movies, but this was different since it was more of an illustration of the impact of harsh reality on the young heroine. It was a surreal experience.. as breathtakingly beautiful as it was gruesome. Truly can't miss!

(You just have to be okay with subtitles, since it's in Spanish. I'm so thankful they didn't dub it into English, since it often detracts from the original piece and doesn't usually match the faces on screen. [Smile] )

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Hey..Thanks Lauren.

One more movie to put into my gotta-watch movie list. Yay !!! [Smile]

[ 04-23-2007, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
While I can't contribute a movie name one of the best places to look is the Internet Movie Database. Just about every move ever made is there cross-referenced by subject, themes, artists and crew. Readers contribute reviews.

--------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yasmin
Activist
Member # 32631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is too late, but I just thought of the movie Elephant. It has John Robinson (Who plays Stacy Peralta in Lords of Dogtown) in it, who is a really good actor.

It is an amazing take on school shootings, I think this one was specifically about the Columbine shootings. It's really depressing but the filming is awesome and creative, and the movie also really makes you think about how you affect others.

You should watch it.

Posts: 97 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James the Dark
Activist
Member # 32379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James the Dark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movies I like usually deal with a topic close to my heart: psychosis. Either the descent into or a story involving the intricacies thereof usually make my day.

One example is the old Christian Bale movie, The Machinist. It's not evident at first, because you're fixated on the fact that Bale is weighing maybe 120 pounds, tops (and that's creepy thin for him, if you haven't seen him in Batman), but the man is completely off his rocker. Almost everything that is shown in the movie... doesn't actually happen. He's suffering a complex delusion which becomes unraveled in the end.

And if I'm not in the mood for a head-trip, I go see Miller's 300. It's decapirific!

--------------------
"And you're really asking me if I prefer injury to embarrassment? That's not even a choice. I don't know anybody who's literally died of embarrassment."

People are annoying sometimes.

Posts: 78 | From: Summerside, PEI, Canada | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lexie
Activist
Member # 29769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lexie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"running with scissors" is really good. a memoir - semi autobiographical, deals with psychosis, homosexuality, valium abuse...

mm thats all off the top of my head.

Posts: 76 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Hey thanks to all of you guys. I got far more replies than I was expecting. [Smile]

[ 04-30-2007, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A really great movie I'd suggest is "Rosenstrasse." It's really powerful and shows the courage of these women during WW2 that tried to get their Jewish husbands released from prison in Germany. Incredibly inspiring.

If you are into any movies about the holocaust, I'd also suggest "Train of Life." It's really goofy at points, but also deadly serious. And it's got a crazy twist at the end that you'd never expect.

Also, "The Believer" is really good. I'm still arguing with myself about the ending. It's about this Jewish guy in present day U.S. that becomes a neo-Nazi and how he struggles internally with his two sides. I just can't even say how good this movie really is.

Have you seen "Gothika"? It's actually really good and a psychological-thriller. It's really chilling. It tries a bit too hard to be supernatural though, but the reality parts are enough to scare you. I will warn you though, there are some rape scenes in it.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Yeah, I've actually seen Gothika but it was a really long time ago so I don't even remember most of it. [Wink]

[ 05-04-2007, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post 
Seconding Trans-america, awesome movie.

Broke Back Mountain, two homosexual cowboys in the 1940/50's.

Insomnia, Pycho-thriller. I havent watched it, but I've heard that it's about a man who didnt get anough sleep and couldnt tell illusion from reality.

Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(As a side note, the original version of Insomnia -- not the American remake -- is a LOT more interesting and a far better film. [Smile] )

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently saw The Virgin Suicides, and the film drove me absolutely batty. That's probably because I started watching around the middle of it.

Anyway, the parents are stellar examples of good parents gone bad. The father simply became more aloof, almost afraid of his wife, the the mother became insanely controlling, smothering the girls.

It's rather frightening.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plain milyeh
Activist
Member # 32511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plain milyeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tuxy:
Broke Back Mountain, two homosexual cowboys in the 1940/50's.

somebody recently pointed out to me that they're actually not gay cowboys at all...they're bisexual shepherds.
Posts: 108 | From: caaaaanada. ('cause we've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks...) | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LacieC
Activist
Member # 33142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LacieC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a movie out called Trantasia it is about the ONLY Transgender beauty pagent in the world. It was all over The Tyra Banks Show the other day.

Lacie

Posts: 108 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qes
Neophyte
Member # 36700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

--------------------
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Posts: 1 | From: Honolulu, Hawaii | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some "Feature Films For Families" movies are based on homosexuality, drugs or substance abuse, abuse, psychiatric problems, ect.

You will probably have to look through a bunch to find one you like though. Most of the movies made by this company are based on lost loved ones, relationship problems betweens parents/children (and summer crushes), love in general, and other daily child and teenage problems.

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bee_is_me
Neophyte
Member # 38122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bee_is_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie 'Dead Poet's Society' is great and really makes you think. It's about a group of boys who go to a strict private school which condemns 'free thinkers'. Then a teacher comes along and changes the way they think. It deals with a lot of 'heavy' issues like depression, the pressure of expectation and the nature of conformity. It's really uplifting at the same time.

'Looking For Alibrandi' is an Australian movie that might be hard to get hold of, but is also fantastic. I can't say too much about it without giving the plot away but it really blew me away.

'About A Boy' follows the story of two people, Will and Marcus. Marcus is 12, with a lot of problems. He gets bullied, his mum has depression and he just doesn't fit in. Will is in his 30's with very few problems. He doesn't have to work, he can afford to be as shallow as he likes without rammifications because he doesn't care what others think and he's always known what to do to fit in. What happens when they meet? This great film will show you.

'About A Boy' and 'Looking For Alibrandi' are both based on books which are, like the movies,thought provoking and moving.

Hope that helped.

--------------------
Let your clarity define you...

Posts: 25 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morphobutterfly
Neophyte
Member # 39894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morphobutterfly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*XXY is an amazing Spanish film about a 15 year old hermaphrodite, her first romance, & the reaction of others to her condition. It's extremely harrowing & heartbreaking, but beautiful.
*Amores Perros is another Spanish film that links drugs, violence, dog fighting & love in a three-fold narrative. Some distressing bits, especially if, like me, you hate seeing animals being hurt, but a fantastic film.
*I think someone mentioned Maria Full of Grace, brilliant drama about a young girl who becomes a Colombian drug mule.
*Proof addresses familial relationships & mental illness, fantastic cast: Anthony Hopkins, Gwyenth Paltrow & Jake Gyllenhall, moving but also very funny at times.
*Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a gorgeous film that charts a couple's relationship, but backwards; beginning when they've broken up & moving bcakwards through their relationship to see how they first fell in love & what happened.
*Pan's Labrynith focuses on a young girl during the Spanish Civil War & the fantasy she creates for herself addressing her beliefs & fears regarding it. Absolutely stunning, visually incredible & very moving.
*Both Juno & Junebug are lighter films about young girls being pregnant - Juno's definately more of a comedy, whereas Junebug is a family drama with Amy Adams, who is absolutely phenomonal in it.
*The Diving Bell & the Butterfly is a french film about Jean Dominique Babaou, a man who suffered "locked in syndrome", in which his entire body was completely paralyzed apart from his left eye, which he could blink. The film is about his thought processes, other people's reactions to his condition, & how he eventually dictated a book by blinking the alphabet. An incredible story & beautifully shot film, it's incredibly moving but uplifting.

Enjoy! [Smile]

--------------------
She said, How is it you can see past me as I am?

Posts: 5 | From: Ireland | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days is an outstanding film which talks about the impact of the abortion ban in Romania, showing the story of 2 friends, one pregnant and seeking an illegal abortion, and the misery they go through as a result of having their ownership of their bodies denied them by the law.

My Beautiful Laundrette is directed by Stephen Frears and is about a young indian man called Omar (Gordon Warnecke) starting a laundrette under their uncle's recommendation and their lover, a white former neo-nazi thug called Johnny (Daniel Day Lewis) who starts working for them, it's about what things were like under Thatcher in britain in the 80s, and about the racism that continued to impact both on the discriminated against groups and individually on relationships between friends and lovers. Really recommend this film.

Grave of the Fireflies (directed by Isao Takahata) is an animated film about two children who starve to death during WWII, being mistreated by relatives and then, eventually, dying after living without adults for a while. There's a crushing moment when they go to see a doctor for Setsuko (the younger of the two, age three) and the doctor says, "she's just malnourished, all she needs is some food" to which Seita (the older of the two, age 12 or so) replies "but there isn't any food". No-one helps them, and the war results in their death. I am only telling you all this stuff because it's really upsetting viewing and I think you should be forewarned.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been watching some great movies lately so I'll contribute too : )

Reign Over Me is an incredible movie. It's about a dentist (Don Cheadle) who is reunited with his old college buddy Charlie(Adam Sandler) who has become a bit of a hermit since September 11th because his wife and daughters were killed in the attack. It follows thier friendship as Charlie tries to deal with the greif of losing his family. It's quirky, and incredibly heart wrenching at times. (And John de Lancie has a small role, which makes it all the better)

Stay is the kind of movie that has you guessing the whole time as to what's going on (in a good way of course). It's about a psychologist whose patient informs him that he's going to commit suicide on his 21st birthday. The psychologist then tries to track down the guy afterwards to stop him and weird things start happening. Hallucinations and what not. There's a big twist at the end : D Oh, and Ryan Gosling is in it- always a plus.

Another great Ryan Gosling film: Lars and the Real Girl. I think imdb says it best: "In this comedy, Lars Lindstrom is an awkwardly shy young man in a small northern town who finally brings home the girl of his dreams to his brother and sister-in-law's home. The only problem is that she's not real - she's a sex doll Lars ordered off the Internet. But sex is not what Lars has in mind, but rather a deep, meaningful relationship. His sister-in-law is worried for him, his brother thinks he's nuts, but eventually the entire town goes along with his delusion in support of this sweet natured boy that they've always loved." It's really a great film. It's sad, funny, sweet... Just all around amazing.

Last but definitely not least is American History X. It's an incredibly difficult film to watch, and a warning ahead of time, there is a male/male rape scene that is pretty disturbing. However, the film is just amazing. It's about a young man who returns from prison to find that his younger brother is following in his footsteps; that is, getting involved with the same white supremist group that his older brother had been involved with. It follows the struggle of the older brother as he tries to save his brother from the same fate as him. (And it has two Star Trek alumni in it. Always a bonus for me! Oh, and a really buff Edward Norton. He's incredible in it)

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.