Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Drowning in pool of work

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drowning in pool of work
skatergirl1989
Activist
Member # 30668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skatergirl1989     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok so basically i did these big exams and i did really well and worked really hard when i was like fifteen and then i had like a kinda gap year wen i was sixteen, now im seventeen adn this year is really important in school, and im just so far behind.

somethings changed i've gotten so lazy adn i just cant force myself to work.ive put on weight and its jst depressing. it used to be okay and i thought id be able to catch upbut im at a point where im just so far behind i cant catch up anymore and i cant cram for the tests adn get b's or c's im getting d's and e's adn i've been hiding this from my parents because they want me to do medicine or law or sumtin that i have to do really well in..but i jst need help?

i've lost all motivation

[ 03-01-2007, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: skatergirl1989 ]

Posts: 41 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skatergirl1989:
i've been hiding this from my parents because they want me to do medicine or law or sumtin that i have to do really well in..but i jst need help?

i've lost all motivation

What do you want to do? You say your parents want you to do law or Medicine....But what do you want to do?

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatergirl1989
Activist
Member # 30668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skatergirl1989     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well id like to do sumtin that wud need high grades like architecture. i dunno if its different in america but in ireland u neeed alllloooota A's.
dont worry i amnt bein gpressured by my rents ive just lost determination and motivation

Posts: 41 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so architecture is something you really want to do and not just something you parents want you to do, right ? Just want to make sure. This is important that's something YOU want to do also. We often lost motivation when the end result is a job we have no interest in.

So I understand the loss of determination and motivation comes from the thought that you won't be able to study in architecture since you don't have high enough marks, am I right ?

I don't live in Ireland but since some of the things might be similar in Canada and Ireland in the way universities work, I'll try to offer you some help even though.

Have you taken accurate informations (average mark, number of credits, particular university admission conditions,..) in a credible source about what is really needed to enter the architecture school program or ar you basing thoughts on what someone or some people told you ? Basing thoughts only on what most people think or what one person told you often isn't the best idea cause people's asnwers are sometimes wrong. It's good to know what exactly is needed and not just knowing approximatly. It can ease a lot of your worries sometimes.

Also, I know that in some university programs and depending on the university, marks doesn't play the only role for admission. For some programs and universities, extra-curicular activities such as volunteering and personnality tests or other things ALSO play a role.

A given program can vary quite a lot between universities. In one university for example, marks can count for 70 % while in another one they might count only for 50 %. And, in this case, this can be of big help for people who doesn't really have high marks.

In my program for example, marks aren't the only thing that is considered for admission. In some universities, there was a series of questions we had to answer in order for them to know if we had the personnality and qualities a person in this domain need to have. And in other school, our background such as volunteering and past experiences played a very big important role in school program admission. I'm thinking this might be the case with other programs too.

And also get infos maybe about your own program right now. How many other tests is there left and what are their ponderation ? What marks do you have to get on those exams to have the overall mark you need to have to be admitted in architecture if that's where you want to go. You might find after all, you could still get that mark you need to have to get into the program you want to go in.

So if you haven't done all that, then I suggest you go see your school counselor or someone who know about university applications and could give you more informations/give you pamphlets about what is needed to enter the architecture program or any other program : marks, credits in each university, if there is there is such thing at your school. I'm guessing there is.

Another thing you can do to go those infos is to call the university itself or go on its website to.

Maybe after all you doen't need to have that much A's. Or maybe a certain university is not particularly looking for As but more for the personnality or experiences and could higher your chances of getting in. And just knowing that can be of big help in improving your motivation. Knowing that after all not everything is lost can help.

So I'd say before you start rethinking about this program or beginning to desperate cause you think you won't be able to get in, make sure you got accurate infos here.

And even though your research says you need those ''helluvah lot As'', just know there is still some hopes. Knowing that helps a lot with the motivation thing. I doubt there is some hope left here. Of course, if you find yourself to really think there is no hope left, then it might be better to have another program in mind in case it doesn't work, but there is almost ALWAYS some hope no matter how much we don't think there is. [Smile]

(Sorry for the incredibly long post. [Smile] )

[ 03-02-2007, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skatergirl1989:
ok so basically i did these big exams and i did really well and worked really hard when i was like fifteen and then i had like a kinda gap year wen i was sixteen, now im seventeen adn this year is really important in school, and im just so far behind.

somethings changed i've gotten so lazy adn i just cant force myself to work.ive put on weight and its jst depressing. it used to be okay and i thought id be able to catch upbut im at a point where im just so far behind i cant catch up anymore and i cant cram for the tests adn get b's or c's im getting d's and e's adn i've been hiding this from my parents because they want me to do medicine or law or sumtin that i have to do really well in..but i jst need help?

i've lost all motivation

Just to jump back to your original post, skatergirl. Your frustration/desperation about all this seems quite natural, if not positive. You're feeling overloaded, falling behind, not sure where to start, and then losing interest in trying. I might be screened for depression; it would probably be situational rather than chemical, but talking about all this with someone regularly could help a lot.

Have you talked to your parents and teachers about this? Do they realize what's going on? Do your parents realize you're behind and do your teachers realize you feel helpless? I would talk to both of them about your situation, how you're feeling and what options you have. For example, you get alternative deadlines to catch up, you repeat a course or the entire grade even. It may seem like you're drowning right now, but that's when it's good to reach out for a lifeboat. Your parents should support you, of course. Just showing you care means a lot to teachers, too. You have options, it's just figuring out what they are and how you can go about accomplishing things. Chances are, once you start taking small steps, you'll start seeing success again and be back to feeling motivated.

What classes are you taking? What are you the most behind in? What would be the easiest to catch up in? What things do you like doing for fun?

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skatergirl1989
Activist
Member # 30668

tanx guys !!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.