Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Scared About My Future

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scared About My Future
MichSM2
Activist
Member # 13662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichSM2         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to take a year off from college to clear my mind and do something productive before I apply back for graduate study. Now all my relatives think I'm making a bad decision because I will lose my car and health insurance. They believe I may not find a job. They are telling me this and it's now February going on March. They think I should have continued straight into grad school. In addition, I am on a few prescriptions that allow me to function daily and I'm using my mom's health and dental plan. I see my doctors for different reasons at least three times a year. I fear losing this once I graduate from school.

I am currently looking for jobs but it seems like my state offers little to no opportunities for my major because of the bad economy. I do not want to live away from home. Plus my committed boyfriend plans to relocate and settle where I am in 2008 so I cannot take anything long-term in another region. I know my relatives want what is best for me, but their opinions have now shaken me to the point of anxiety and panic attacks. There are a few graduate school programs open, but not in areas I want to study. (My long term goal is to return back to school for doctoral study.). Can someone help me? I feel like I am about to lose my mind.

[ 02-18-2007, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: MichSM2 ]

Posts: 93 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about working outside of what you went to school for? I know it sucks, but it seems like this may be your only other option ... Short of living off of your parents (if that is even an option at all).

If staying in school really isn't something you want to do right now, then i don't think you should do it ... But you need to be open to finding a job where ever you can, if you want to stay in the area.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mich, are you talking about taking a year off before you finish your undergraduate degree or between undergrad and grad degrees? As long as college is bearable, I would recommend finishing your BA in the year or semester/s it takes. I was in the same situation when it came to health insurance (I didn't have a car), and health insurance is not something to go without unless you have no other option. Because you're taking some prescriptions you deem necessary, it's essential to have with even a simple doctor's visit running up to the thousands.

I took a year off between undergrad and graduate school (I also lost my insurance but was covered by another plan), and it was absolutely the right decision. Potentially, I'd like to continue my studies (get a Ph.D/MFA) but I know working again is the right thing (as well as pretty necessary to make ends meet.)

You can always apply to graduate school-- in fact, being an older and more "life" experienced applicant gives you an advantage. Additionally, as great as learning is, graduate school is so high pressure, and probably not the best place for you if you're dealing with anxiety issues right now. It'll always be there as an option. Regardless of what your relatives are telling you (can you tell them to shove it, btw?), you definitely made the right decision for yourself. Why not explore your options, while enjoying your family and relationship versus stressing over something you're not sure of.

I would recommend starting to apply for jobs asap. As Smurf said, look into jobs outside of your field, too, especially if you're wanting to stay nearby. I have some friends ("highly qualified", BA and/or MA) who were looking for jobs in areas with good economies in the US, and they still had trouble-- it took a few months of working retail/another job until they found what they "wanted." The problem with a lot of temp jobs is that they don't have health insurance, so finding something with coverage is key. I don't mean this as a "scare" thing, but just a push to get out there and start going. (You can do it!)

A key to getting jobs is doing internships. They'll give you marketable experience and put you as number one for potential hirers. What about looking for one on-campus in the meantime? What about looking into a TA or research position with your department for more firsthand experience? What about talking to your counselor or a career services person about this? That's what they're there for! [Smile]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichSM2
Activist
Member # 13662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichSM2         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Ecofem, I am specifically referring to a gap year between my bachelors and graduate school (hopefully doctoral study).

How will I be able to get by without health insurance since I cannot function properly without my medicine? Are there specific programs I need to apply for?

I will definitely seek my career counselor for advice. Thank you very much.

Posts: 93 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usuaully every state has a deal where if you dont have the money for your medicine you can qualify to get it for free. Or only have to pay like 5 bucks a month for it. Atleast thats how it is in my state if you go to the teaching hospital to get your medicine whatever it may be its free if you cant afford it and all you have to do is a fill out a lil paperwork.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MichSM2:
Thank you Ecofem, I am specifically referring to a gap year between my bachelors and graduate school (hopefully doctoral study).

OK, good to know.

quote:
How will I be able to get by without health insurance since I cannot function properly without my medicine? Are there specific programs I need to apply for?
I'd ask your health center for more information regarding the programs Elizabeth mentioned. I do not know of any in Michigan specifically, but I have asked the other volunteers to share any information they have. In the meantime, I'd try to make sure you max out on all of your prescriptions, so you can even have an extra month's supply.

quote:
I will definitely seek my career counselor for advice.
Great! You can also ask family and friends of the family for any leads. Getting a job outside your field at first is probably going to happen, but you can keep up on the side and easily switch jobs when something "better" comes along. May I ask what your major is?

You're welcome. [Smile] I was going through your posting history yesterday and found you had almost this same concern two years ago -- it sounds like you've gotten a step further, because you decided on the break. I just see a pattern of a lot of worrying about the future, outside pressure, etc. which is ok, but I know can make life a lot harder. (Of course, if there was some quick fix, you'd have found it by now!) If you're not currently seeing a counselor regularly, I'd really recommend starting now when you have insurance.

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.