Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Community involvement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Community involvement
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the internet and feel really at "home" here at Scarleteen. I move around a lot and it's a way for me connect with people through mutual support, regardless of where I am. As fun as internet communities can be, I know it's also really important to be involved in your real-life community for rewarding face-to-face contact.

How are you involved in your community/neighborhood?
(School, University, County or City, etc.)

- What type of community do you live in? (Small, rural town; suburbs; big city?)

- Are you active in any community/youth organizations, extracurricular activities or religious groups?

- Do you volunteer regularly?

- Do you work/volunteer somewhere where you see a lot of community members? (library, cafe, park, etc.)

- Do you walk around town or down your street regularly?

- Do you greet your neighbors?

- Do you have favorite haunts where people recognize one another?

If you don't feel connected to your community, would you like to be? Are you having trouble connecting and would like some suggestions? Please list your questions and suggestions!

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecofem:

- What type of community do you live in? (Small, rural town; suburbs; big city?)
Suburban Los Angeles

- Are you active in any community/youth organizations, extracurricular activities or religious groups?
No, but a friend of mine wants to start going to temple more regularly.

irl? sorry, no.

- Do you work/volunteer somewhere where you see a lot of community members? (library, cafe, park, etc.)
I work for the health department. They make me dress nicely in case we have to deal directly with community members. It used to be more of an issue when I was working at STD, but now I crunch numbers

I went jogging around my neighborhood once, and all these cars started to slow down and gawk. It made me really uncomfortable.

I was robbed by one of my neighbors. What do you think?

The gym. Everyone knows me there.

If you don't feel connected to your community, would you like to be? Are you having trouble connecting and would like some suggestions? Please list your questions and suggestions!
I kinda hate LA. This city isn't the kind for connecting people to other people.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I live on an island right outside Seattle it has a small town mentality with about 20 k people here. But I go to Seattle often so its like my second home.

quote:
I work for Skate Like A girl which is an orginization that teaches women of all ages and abilities to skateboard. So I work with youth in Seattle alot.

quote:
Everything basically I do up here is volunteer as there is no profit coming to me from doing it.
So I do skate like a girl and Skaters for public skateparks which is an advocacy orginization to get more skateparks built globally.

quote:
Working for Skate Like A Girl I see alot of women in the Seattle area.

quote:
I dont drive, So I take the bus everywhere (living next to a big city buses are the best system to use) So I walk alot when I dont take the bus.

quote:
Yeah, I always wave and say hello. Though my neighbhors arn't much of greeters themselves.

quote:
The grocery store and when your riding on the ferry seems to be the place where everyone you know is.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A suburban little village with an upper school, lower school, a train station, two pubs, a butchers, post office, news agents, off-license.

Boys Brigade, Rugby Team, but I haven't gone to either for a year due to school work

Not particularily no; if i understand that by volenteer you mean for public schemes.

School? ie sixthform

Only to school and back

Hehe, i watch them until i get eye contact, then i smile, if they smile back i say good morning/afternoon/evening.

I would but i'm a square that people don't invite anymore because i always tell them i'm busy studying lol!

[ 02-18-2007, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: PenguinBoy ]

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 

I live in a really small city. You know, the kind where almost everyone knows each other. [Smile]

- Are you active in any community/youth organizations, extracurricular activities or religious groups ?

Not really, unfortunatly.

Not really. I'm highly busy with med school right now.

Although, two years ago, all summer long, 5 days a week (8 a.m through 5 p.m.), I did volunteer work by working with kids in a summer camp.

And I did some other volunteer work too when I was younger, when I was part of a group in school which did community work, conferences every week. It was pretty diverse : helping aged people, doing conferences on harassment, fighting injustice (like people being held in prison for no valid reason, for things they haven't done).

Well, I did volunteer two years ago in the summer camp.

Last summer, I work in a shop so I did some a lot of people of my community.

Also in my program, few months ago, we spent about a month doing observation in hospitals which give me a chance here too to see other people of my community too.

When I got some time, I go take walks in the summer or so. But given it's often below - 20 degrees celcius in the winter, I rarely go take walks outdoor by then.

But last year and the year before, I did walk for about 1 hour and a half each day to go and get back to school even in the winter. [Frown]

Yeah, I used to babysit their five little kids during some years so I'm in pretty good terms with one of them. The other one I rarely see them but I do say hi when I happen to see them.

[ 02-18-2007, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

My university is in a fairly big city, although it's kind of in a bubble, so I guess you could say that the feel of it is more of a small town with the benefits of a big city right at our door.

I'm in a couple school clubs... that's about it.

On occasion, but not regularly. Usually just when a friend is doing something and doesn't want to do it alone.

I don't have a job.

Yeah, I'm kind of forced to, what with classes all over campus and stuff. Also, my dorm is on a street that's frequented by non-college people, so I guess that counts as interacting with community members...

Neighbors for me are other college kids. I say hi when I know someone, or if someone makes eye contact with me.

Just random cafés around campus where you run into people you know. Although the girl at Dunkin' Donuts across the street might start recognizing me soon since I've started going there more often.

I'm pretty much as connected to university life as can be expected for someone who's kind of shy to start with. Had a little bit of trouble making friends at the beginning of the year, but I'm a bit of a loner anyway, and now I do have friends for when I want company, so it's all good.

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.