Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » tricks to concentrate more

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tricks to concentrate more
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to disturb you guys with school at this time of the year where most of us are anxious to be finished with school and begin their vacation
but I'm still trying to manage some things for my studies and I would need some tips if of course, you have some and wanna share them with me.

I was wondering : what ways are helpful to you to help you concentrate more on your studies while studying, to avoid being disturbed by other things ?

I'm usually reading my textbooks in my room with the computer in front of me since I type in my notes on the computer ( I find it shorter that way) but I'm usually tend a lot to go surf on the net and do things like that at the same time. I'm distracted often. Maybe that just means I need a break but I find it happens often.

The way I've found to stop that is to go study at school or in another room where there is no computer in it. But, it takes longer since I have to write my notes on a paper and it's a less more clear also. Would you guys have any ideas how I could type in my notes on the computer while reading without going each 15 minutes or so on Internet ? Or would the ultimate solution be to stay away from the computer ?

Also, another thing is that I have to take the bus to get to school which takes a lot, lot,lot of my time, 1 hours and 15 minutes in the morning and 1 hours and 15 minutes at the end of the afternoon. (I soooooo hate that ! I feel like I really don't have this time to lose) I usually bring something to study in the bus but it's not helping much, it doesn't get me far : it's not that much of a proper environment to study. It seems I can't concentrate there.

My studies are doing well at this point, far more than they used to at the beginning, but there is just still some adjustments to make. So any tips would be appreciated.

[ 12-19-2006, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm often pretty amazed at how a lot of people seem to have a lot of media going on at once when they're doing things.

I'm a really hardcore focuser, to the point that when I'm focused on something, sometimes someone can even walk right beside me, start talking, and I don't even hear them or know they're there.

Some of that is that that's just the type of brain I have, but some of it is also that I generally have zero distractions when I want to pay attention to one thing: a clear desk (even if all behind me is piles of stuff), no music, no TV or movies, door closed, messengers/browsers closed.

And per studying on public transit, it always heped me to have headphones with me, and some instrumental (no words = no distractions for me) music on. People also always tend to try and chat you up less when you've a headset on.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Thanks for the headphones idea Heather, I'll try it. I am not really able to study with music usually but maybe with just instrumental music this will work. What I've heard though, is that it's often easier to study when the music you are listening to is one you are familiar with. Your mind's less on it this way.

Maybe I should manage to take breaks more often also. I usually start to study when I don't have school at 7 or 8 a.m. and try to go on until 12 a.m. So it's a lot more easier after I've done two hours of study without breaks to start becoming distracted I guess, that might be one of the secrets as to why I easily becomes distracted a lot more after some time. I guess I have to start to listen to my mind a little more and take those breaks. I'll make myself an agenda to know at which time I should take my breaks in order to not forget them.

I tought at first that taking breaks was mostly a waste of time and that it did not make a big difference on my studies but I guess I was wrong and that's more a spare of time that you get from taking breaks than a loss of one.

[ 12-19-2006, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, breaks can be pretty essential.

Even if it's just for five minutes: for instance, when I have to work my brain for long, long hours, I find that doing some basic sun salutations helps a lot, or doing a downward dog pose: both can help keep the blood circulating in your body well, which helps it working well in your brain.

(Linked 'em for you in case you don't know what the heck I'm talking about:))

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

But the thing is usually I have nothing going on except my computer when I'm reading school stuff. So I don't have any other distractions other than my computer who I need so.. I usually just log off of all my messengers and close all of the computer programs other than the one I'm usually working with but I still find myself opening up new Internet windows and stuff... I guess I need to discipline myself more but yet, this is so hard to do.

Maybe, after all,getting away from the computer is THE only solution...

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Or turning off your Internet connection.

One other option?

If your computer has different login settings for different users, you could create one for when you're studying where you block the internet sites you know are time-sucks for you.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

See, I didn't tought about those two. That sounds like a pretty great solution that could actually work.

Thanks for that and thanks by the way for your relaxing yoga poses. I'll try them next time. It'll be refreshing to do something new.

--------------------

LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was going to suggest disconnecting from the Internet. That's a big distraction for me too, but last week I was trying to write a paper and some friends were having a study group - so, I unplugged my Internet cable (no wireless Internet in the dorms) and went down to their room, and was SO productive. So yes, it works. [Smile]

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.